I need Wifi Help - One wifi plan, 2 devices

cruzin4us

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

My question relates to photos between two devices.  How are you sending photos to your laptop or IPad (I assume that is what you meant by desktop?).  

I am wondering if your method is better than my work around.  I temporarily steal my wife’s log in, so I can have both devices internet enabled.  

Thanks

If you are talking about the auto upload between the apple devices through the cloud then the best solution is what you already are doing by signing in one device with your DWs login and one with yours is the best solution.  Trying to airdrop or load them another way will sometimes result in duplicates once auto cloud upload is again available. During port stops I will leave my ipad on the ship logged on and if I happen to be be in a restaurant or other place with free wifi, I will log on to that with my phone and the auto upload will happen that way (both devices are logged on).  

OK .. without reading through the entire thread, we are kind of non-techie, too.  This is what we do:

We switch all devices to airplane mode (not really sure if that is necessary for you on your laptop, though because it has no cellular service).  
Then, when we go to the settings, WiFi service and choose MedallionNet.  
Then, go to your Safari and type in Login.com  … you will enter your cabin number and birthdate.  From there, you should get swirly green circles and connect you to the internet.  

When I switch back and forth, I go to safari and type in Logout.com on the device I am using and again, Login.com again on the other device I want to use.  We’ve found this method works best for us. 

As when I was in college, I used little tricks to help me remember things I needed to know.  So, I think of In and Out Burgers for login and logout.  This was only after I couldn’t remember if it was login or logon and logout or logoff.  
It is login and logout .. like the burger.  

Go to Medallion app on the device you want to swap to, scroll down to MedallionNet and it gives you the option to swap devices.  Took me a little while to work it out, but it swaps immediately.

18 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I

I usually take pictures on the iPhone and edit them.  I then send them to my email and then save them to my MacBook Pro laptop.....then I can upload them into something like Cruise Critic or FB.   That's how I've done it for years.....not sure if that's the easiest way, but that's what works for me.

17 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Not an expert on this.  I'm sure someone will weigh in.  In order for for you to transfer photos (aka airdrop), both devices need to be connected to the same wi-fi.  In technicality, it should work.  An example, if I am trying to airdrop something to a friend's phone, as long as we are on the same network, I should be able to do this.  

For me, it's just easier to send it from my iphone and "later" pick it up on my laptop.  Apple has started this new format....HEIC....don't know what it is, but sometimes some other formats don't like that. They prefer JPEG.  If you open it on your laptop and "export it", it will export as a JPEG.  Just have a folder on your laptop labeled trip photos.

Thank you for the clarification.  Looks like you both move the photos using e mail, which will work. I misunderstood, I thought you found a different workaround.

like I said, I Hook up both devices to the internet and just transfer the photos.  Or works as long as you have two packages using airdrop. (. One for each of two people). Or in my case automatically as long as both my devices are on the internet.  It is easy to use multiple devices with one sign in.  

Edited by jagoffee

It would certainly be easy for one person to jump back and forth from phone to laptop. For us the problem was, with 2 in the cabin, only one of us could use wifi at the same time. We’d have to coordinate who was using it when. It was a pain in the rear so we just upgraded to 4 devices and called it good. Much easier.

As for photos, I was posting for much of the trip. After processing I’d reduce the file size quite a bit before uploading or transferring to the other device. Worked well most of the time with some exceptions. I couldn’t connect at all in the upper end of Glacier Bay and a couple of other areas. Most of the time it worked well although slow.

1 hour ago, Glaciers said:

It would certainly be easy for one person to jump back and forth from phone to laptop. For us the problem was, with 2 in the cabin, only one of us could use wifi at the same time. We’d have to coordinate who was using it when. It was a pain in the rear so we just upgraded to 4 devices and called it good. Much easier.

With P+ each person gets their own allowance so DW can switch between her 2 devices and so can I.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glaciers said:

As for photos, I was posting for much of the trip. After processing I’d reduce the file size quite a bit before uploading or transferring to the other device. Worked well most of the time with some exceptions. I couldn’t connect at all in the upper end of Glacier Bay and a couple of other areas. Most of the time it worked well although slow.

Are you using an IPhone?  How do you reduce the file size?  I played around with that, but I forget.  I do not recall it being easy.  Do you have an AP that you recommend?

For those wanting to transfer photos between Apple devices (iPhones, iPad, MacBook), there is an amazing feature called AirDrop. Neither device has to be on Wi-Fi or the same network. You don’t even have to reduce the file size. You just have to turn AirDrop on in the settings. Usually under General under Settings. 

The advantage to this over sending by e-mail is your phone never has to be connected to the internet for it to work. So you don’t have to switch the internet between devices.