Return to US Covid Test

duquephart

If you are ending your trip with Viking you will be given a printout of the results of your last test onboard to present  for return to the US.  If you are doing a Viking extension, it is my understanding that Viking will arrange a test for you at the appropriate time.  If you extend the trip on your own you will have to make your own arrangements, but it sounds as though most hotels have been helpful in guiding you in getting the test necessary for the trip.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, molymoo said:

If you are doing a Viking extension, it is my understanding that Viking will arrange a test for you at the appropriate time.

They do. We just came back from a post-cruise extension in Barcelona, and they arranged an antigen test that was taken right at the hotel the morning before we left. It took place in a timely fashion - started like 7:30 in the a.m. and probably went till around 10:00. The only mildly inconvenient issue was that the Viking guide referred everyone to a website that we needed to go on to access and download the results. I would have hoped he'd have distriubuted copies of both the site and the instructions, but instead had it on a sheet of paper and everyone took pictures of it (a bit weird...could have been done better?) . Then, some people had trouble accessing the info. The hotel didn't have a business center to print anything out, so if you wanted a paper copy you had to email the hotel with the results and then they'd print it out. This, also, didn't run very smoothly and so the Viking guides (there were 3 of them) basically wound up printing out results although never actually informed the guests that this was being done. It COULD have all been handled more efficiently but they were very helpful and everyone got what they needed. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

They do. We just came back from a post-cruise extension in Barcelona, and they arranged an antigen test that was taken right at the hotel the morning before we left. It took place in a timely fashion - started like 7:30 in the a.m. and probably went till around 10:00. The only mildly inconvenient issue was that the Viking guide referred everyone to a website that we needed to go on to access and download the results. I would have hoped he'd have distriubuted copies of both the site and the instructions, but instead had it on a sheet of paper and everyone took pictures of it (a bit weird...could have been done better?) . Then, some people had trouble accessing the info. The hotel didn't have a business center to print anything out, so if you wanted a paper copy you had to email the hotel with the results and then they'd print it out. This, also, didn't run very smoothly and so the Viking guides (there were 3 of them) basically wound up printing out results although never actually informed the guests that this was being done. It COULD have all been handled more efficiently but they were very helpful and everyone got what they needed. 

Maybe will run more smoothly in Iceland? Thnaks!

We had a better experience on a post extension.  The results were printed, put in an envelope with our names and given to the Viking post extension guests, with a smile (meaning we were negative).  I guess we lucked out.  Quite a smooth process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

We had a better experience on a post extension.  The results were printed, put in an envelope with our names and given to the Viking post extension guests, with a smile (meaning we were negative).  I guess we lucked out.  Quite a smooth process.

Last day of extension (heading to airport)?

Any cost?

Where?

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

Last day of extension (heading to airport)?

Any cost?

Where?

If on a Viking post-extension, Viking will arrange to have it done free for you the day before you fly out.  Ours was done at the hotel in the morning before we flew home, likely because there were a decent number of people on the post-extension.  Again - no cost.

If on your own, you are responsible.  Many are doing the eMed proctored tests.  We just bought a 6 pack of them for $150 and our insurance (BlueS) reimbursed us in total - so essentially they are free.  Likely depends on insurance.  I had called them ahead to ask if they covered the proctored tests.  Our next cruise we will be doing post cruise trip on our own so need them there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

If on a Viking post-extension, Viking will arrange to have it done free for you the day before you fly out.  Ours was done at the hotel in the morning before we flew home, likely because there were a decent number of people on the post-extension.  Again - no cost.

If on your own, you are responsible.  Many are doing the eMed proctored tests.  We just bought a 6 pack of them for $150 and our insurance (BlueS) reimbursed us in total - so essentially they are free.  Likely depends on insurance.  I had called them ahead to ask if they covered the proctored tests.  Our next cruise we will be doing post cruise trip on our own so need them there.

I'm guessing our post extension in Iceland will be well attended but probably no way of knowing. Much appreciate the info. Thanks!

9 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Quite a smooth process.

Well, the Barcelona post-extension following the Chairman's cruise was a bit of a disaster from the standpoint of having to wait in line 2 hours to check in. No excuse for that. The  hotel MUST have known that a large Viking group was coming. Then, after that long process, we went out for some late lunch, came back, only to wait in yet another long line (close to another 2 hours) just to get room keys. People were most unhappy that what was supposed to be "the rest of the day at leisure" instead turned into standing in line. 

We were on a post-exension in Athens in late March; Viking arranged a PCR test at the hotel, and all of us (about a dozen or so) were tested (and all negative) at the hotel, no cost.

HOWEVER... we're on a Rick Steves tour right now in the Loire valley; so far, 2 women have tested positive in our group of 25. The first woman and her husband had to stay behind in Chinon, and will stay in a hotel for 5 days, at which point they'll have to test negative in order to return to the US.

Today, another woman tested positive, so she and her husband will test again; if either are positive, they'll remain here in Sarlat for 5 days until they test negative.

The Covid pandemic is NOT over.

My wife and I were talking about whether the risk of infection is higher on a Viking ocean ship than on this Rick Steves tour; the only difference is that on our last ocean cruise we didn't have dinner with other couples, and here we've dined several times with other couples. Although a Viking cruise has more people,  contact with others is generally less, I'd guess, unless you have dinner or drinks often with other couples (which is how it's apparently spread among our little group here).

On a very positive note, Rick Steves has a policy where he refunds your tour fee for every day of your tour that you miss. First-class; I wish Viking took that approach.

• Like 3

On 6/4/2022 at 7:55 AM, longterm said:

On a very positive note, Rick Steves has a policy where he refunds your tour fee for every day of your tour that you miss. First-class; I wish Viking took that approach.

Wow. That’s seriously impressive. I think we’ll check out Rick Steves.

On 6/4/2022 at 7:55 AM, longterm said:

Rick Steves

He da man...... gotta love a guy that recommends to only pack 5 pair of underwear for a trip. 😁  I bought and read his latest Barcelona edition before going on the Chairman's cruise. His guides are so informative. He surely has done well for himself. 

We’re on day 10 of this trip, and so far, 8 people have tested positive out of the original 25. In each case they had to leave the tour, with traveling partners, so out of 25, plus our original guide who got it, we’re down to 12.. 

We did two Viking cruises recently—in December and March—without incident, but Viking doesn’t announce positive cases, so we don’t know if anyone quarantined on the ships. 

Would we do this trip knowing this might happen? Even though we’ve had a great time, no. My brother and his wife are among those left behind, and it felt awful to drive away. 

Would we do another ocean cruise now, having had this experience? Yes, but we’d probably limit our contact with others. 

We had dinner last night with the husband who tested positive this morning (voluntary self-tested); we’re hoping we’ll not get sick, but it seems to be a a total crapshoot. 

But, huge props to Rick Steves Europe for helping us through all this. 

10 hours ago, longterm said:

We’re on day 10 of this trip, and so far, 8 people have tested positive out of the original 25. In each case they had to leave the tour, with traveling partners, so out of 25, plus our original guide who got it, we’re down to 12.. 

We did two Viking cruises recently—in December and March—without incident, but Viking doesn’t announce positive cases, so we don’t know if anyone quarantined on the ships. 

Would we do this trip knowing this might happen? Even though we’ve had a great time, no. My brother and his wife are among those left behind, and it felt awful to drive away. 

Would we do another ocean cruise now, having had this experience? Yes, but we’d probably limit our contact with others. 

We had dinner last night with the husband who tested positive this morning (voluntary self-tested); we’re hoping we’ll not get sick, but it seems to be a a total crapshoot. 

How is testing being handled on your tour? I’ve been wondering how land tours are doing it.

11 hours ago, longterm said:

YMMV.  We were on a 54 day ocean cruise last Nov and Dec (actually, 3 cruises).  Positive results were announced.  We recently got off a river cruise a few weeks ago.  Again, positive cases were announced, we lost 4/140 on that cruise.  So our experience does not mirror your’s.  

24 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

YMMV.  We were on a 54 day ocean cruise last Nov and Dec (actually, 3 cruises).  Positive results were announced.  We recently got off a river cruise a few weeks ago.  Again, positive cases were announced, we lost 4/140 on that cruise.  So our experience does not mirror your’s.  

Michelle - I am wondering if it is up to the ship's captains as to whether they announce any Covid positives.  I've seen it both ways.  Just recently we were on an Ocean and River Cruise back to back.  Both captains did not announce.  When asking people on the ship with Viking, they declined to comment.  So, sometimes it is hush hush, and sometimes they do say.  Seems I've heard less that actually announce the positives.

I would expect Viking to want to keep it quiet, since from various media sources, the numbers of quarantines, and in river cases, the numbers of those walking the plank, have skyrocketed to the point that Viking is definitely having a harder time with limited staff, managing and coordinating all their passengers in various hotels, rearranging flights, and more.  Likely several full time jobs to do all this.  Don't think they were expecting such a huge number of positives on their ships, given you had to have a negative test to board.  Maybe this shows how easy it is to get it on flights and airlines, as well as when mingling, wandering around foreign towns, and the close quarters at meals and happy hour times especially on the river ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Michelle - I am wondering if it is up to the ship's captains as to whether they announce any Covid positives.  I've seen it both ways.  Just recently we were on an Ocean and River Cruise back to back.  Both captains did not announce.  When asking people on the ship with Viking, they declined to comment.  So, sometimes it is hush hush, and sometimes they do say.  Seems I've heard less that actually announce the positives.

I would expect Viking to want to keep it quiet, since from various media sources, the numbers of quarantines, and in river cases, the numbers of those walking the plank, have skyrocketed to the point that Viking is definitely having a harder time with limited staff, managing and coordinating all their passengers in various hotels, rearranging flights, and more.  Likely several full time jobs to do all this.  Don't think they were expecting such a huge number of positives on their ships, given you had to have a negative test to board.  Maybe this shows how easy it is to get it on flights and airlines, as well as when mingling, wandering around foreign towns, and the close quarters at meals and happy hour times especially on the river ships.

I’m thinking flights is the big source.  On the river cruise we just got off of, there were 4 removed, one couple the first day and another the third.  After that, none.  It seems that the river cruise seems to be adjusting testing to results, it’s looking like if the first several days are Covid free, the rest of the trip goes untested.  If there are cases the first few days, they continue to test.

On 6/7/2022 at 2:19 AM, longterm said:

Good luck staying negative throughout the rest of your tour.  We were on a Rick Steves Ireland tour three weeks ago.  24 travelers.  Only one person tested positive, the day prior to departure. I was pleased that masks were required on the bus.  

just returned from a 5 day extension to Iceland--we booked Viking Air and then booked all of our excursions and hotel on our own.

We also used covidtest.is for our return home to US, it worked out perfectly. Results were sent within 45 minutes.

Hoping that you enjoy Iceland as much as we did. Awesome!!

On 6/7/2022 at 8:19 PM, Mich3554 said:

We just tested this morning for the return home and are negative, but another person was positive. We also had a temporary fill-in guide test positive, after our original guide tested positive as well. 

So of the original 25 guests plus guide, there are 10 remaining (spouses left the tour)—8 positive guests and 2 guides. 

i just spoke to a friend who just did the Viking River cruise from Budapest to Prague; there were 6 cases on their cruise. I heard from someone who was on another River cruise, where they had 40 cases. 

We did 2 ocean cruises—one in December in the Caribbean (11 days), one in March from Time to Athens (24 days including pre and post extensions); we had dinner with several couples on the first cruise, a few on the second, and made it home without Covid. There was no reporting of cases, so we don’t know if there were any. 

it seems to be hit and miss; why we didn’t get it on this trip is a mystery. None of the 7 spouses of positive people on this trip have tested positive—go figure. 

We won’t be doing any more group traveling or cruises until fall 2023; the problems caused in this trip are enormous. My sister in law, who was on this trip with us, tested positive again this morning, 4 days after her first positive test; my brother and she are stuck in France until she tests negative. Others are stranded all over France until they test negative. 

i really believed it was safe to travel, or we wouldn’t have gone on this trip. These new variants are much more virulent than anything before. 

Would I go on an ocean cruise soon? Sadly, no. 

Edited by longterm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, longterm said:

We just tested this morning for the return home and are negative, but another person was positive. We also had a temporary fill-in guide test positive, after our original guide tested positive as well. 

So of the original 25 guests plus guide, there are 10 remaining (spouses left the tour)—8 positive guests and 2 guides. 

i just spoke to a friend who just did the Viking River cruise from Budapest to Prague; there were 6 cases on their cruise. I heard from someone who was on another River cruise, where they had 40 cases. 

We did 2 ocean cruises—one in December in the Caribbean (11 days), one in March from Time to Athens (24 days including pre and post extensions); we had dinner with several couples on the first cruise, a few on the second, and made it home without Covid. There was no reporting of cases, so we don’t know if there were any. 

it seems to be hit and miss; why we didn’t get it on this trip is a mystery. None of the 7 spouses of positive people on this trip have tested positive—go figure. 

We won’t be doing any more group traveling or cruises until fall 2023; the problems caused in this trip are enormous. My sister in law, who was on this trip with us, tested positive again this morning, 4 days after her first positive test; my brother and she are stuck in France until she tests negative. Others are stranded all over France until they test negative. 

i really believed it was safe to travel, or we wouldn’t have gone on this trip. These new variants are much more virulent than anything before. 

Would I go on an ocean cruise soon? Sadly, no. 

Glad to see you made it back OK, and belated thanks for your reports on your Med cruise that gave us ideas for our own future plans.

Here is a question for you, though: have you ever tested positive previously? If so, I believe there is a strong possibility (that in combination with being vaxxed/boosted) you are resilient to the currently circulating more infectious but less dangerous variants. I, personally, don't know anybody that got COVID twice when they are vaxxed (I concede that it is possible, but I believe it is relatively rare), so the natural immunity factor is protective, IMO.

I know everyone's immune system is unique, but my own experience is that I have been exposed to COVID positives a number of times since last October when I had Delta, but tested negative each time, so my primary concern on upcoming trip is running afoul of a false positive. I am not afraid of getting COVID or acting as a conduit for someone to get if from me, but I will act safely and responsibly (masking in airports, flights and certain crowded indoor settings), and hope for the best.

1 hour ago, SailorPaulH said:

…have you ever tested positive previously? 

Well, not exactly, but…

My wife got Covid around Feb, 2, tested positive. A day later, I started feeling bad, had a headache, temp of about 100. I called my doctor, who told me that since my wife had Covid, I almost certainly did as well. We both took the antiviral and I was over it in just a couple of days. I tested five days later, and was negative, so technically I never tested positive, but I am about 99% sure that I had it.

We went on the Italy cruise just about two weeks later, and our doctors told us that we probably had enough antibodies to protect us for about three or four months. We speculate that that has protected us on this trip, but who knows, it seems to be so random. Why is it that 5 different women and 1 man got Covid, and their spouses did not?  So strange. 

We did try a mild alcohol preventative; daily infusions of local red wine may not have helped, but we sure enjoyed it! In fact, just to be on the safe side, I imagine we will be taking our daily doses of red wine at dinner in an hour or so!

• Like 3