NCL Getaway July 9-16, 2022-H9-Live w/pics

graphicguy

Thank you for the great review.  We leave this weekend on the Getaway for our first NCL cruise.  I noticed that you mentioned the lousy internet speed, but you were able to send updates to CC.  Were these post sent while in port or was the ship's WIFI good enough to hand non-streaming duties such as email and text?  Were there locations around that ship that had a stronger signal than others?  My wife will more than likely need to do some work(boo) from the ship and I'd like to let her know what to expect.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

Thank you for the great review.  We leave this weekend on the Getaway for our first NCL cruise.  I noticed that you mentioned the lousy internet speed, but you were able to send updates to CC.  Were these post sent while in port or was the ship's WIFI good enough to hand non-streaming duties such as email and text?  Were there locations around that ship that had a stronger signal than others?  My wife will more than likely need to do some work(boo) from the ship and I'd like to let her know what to expect.  

I don't think Mr. @graphicguy will mind me jumping in on this one. I was on the Getaway in April with more than 100% capacity (more than GG's ship, I think). We upgraded to the unlimited streaming WiFi as we had to discuss a new home purchase with our home inspector. We had fine internet to receive his 100+ page inspection report and have a nearly hour long WiFi phone call with him. 

We had not planned to purchase internet (we were content with the 150 x 2 minutes), however when the Norfolk/VA Beach port was cancelled, we had to purchase the internet package. Since we had unlimited streaming we did watch Instagram Reels, YouTube videos, and even one show on Netflix. Sure, we did experience buffering at times, but for the most part it was like having DSL. Certainly not the gig of internet we have at home, but definitely quick enough to do everything we needed. 

The only thing I was disappointed in was how long it took for text messages to be sent/received. We would connect to the internet, open a Reel, and still not receive texts. Possibly five or six minutes later we'd have several texts all come in. Not sure why SMS is so slow on NCL's internet, but that was the one downside.

Now, GG has more updated information, so the internet may have changed, but my experience was just a few months ago so is hopefully accurate. 

For what it's worth - we upgraded to the unlimited non-streaming package (as part of the new Free at Sea Plus upgrade) for our August Getaway cruise, so I'll be interested to see the difference in that package. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

You’ll have a great time.

I admit, it was a chore posting live, especially posts with pics.  It went something like….’

-write a post, attach a picture, hit “SUBMIT REPLY’

-…..wait, wait, wait….take a few sips of a delicious beverage….wait, wait, wait, take a couple more sips…..hope the post doesn’t disappear…..POST!

In fairness, I’ve been on Royal Ships, Carnival Ships, and Celebrity ships that were just as bad.  They tout their “new and improved” internet services.  But, from where I sit, I don’t see any differences.

I think it also depends on where you’re posting to.  There were some other sites other than CC that were better in getting my posts.  There’s something in CC’s code that makes it difficult to post from the ships.  Don’t know why.  As @cruiseny4life points out, it does seem to be somewhat dependent on the app or site where you’re posting to or receiving from that also makes a difference.

I posted either from my cabin, sometimes from the Sugarcane or Sunset bars outside areas.  Sometimes from the restaurants.  Didn’t see a significant difference.

Edited by graphicguy

On 7/17/2022 at 9:58 AM, graphicguy said:

Whew…what a day of travel.  Picked up the dog from his sitter (I think he was glad to see me).  Took the girlfriend out for tacos.  Poured a Basil Hayden and relaxed to watch the latest Better Call Saul episode (WOW).

Have had some time to percolate the cruise.

As I usually do, this was a last minute booking.  Found a deal, jumped on it.  Overall, price was good. Lots of OBC.  Cabin was great.  The itinerary was one I had not been on in a while.  And, it was on one of my favorite NCL ships (the “-AWAY” twins).

If you’re looking for go-carts or laser tag, this wasn’t that.  But, they did have the big slides, and the kids pools, movies outside for the kids and a kids program, if you’re looking for a family cruise. That’s not what I was looking for, however.  I was looking for a relaxing cruise,….a cruise where I did very little planning….a cruise I could just “wing it” every day.  I got exactly what I was looking for, plus some.  

I knew what to expect.  This was a Summer cruise.  School’s out.  I knew there would be kids.  Expectations were met. ;). Did it bother me?  Eh….not really.  I knew what to expect.

SHIP…..with COVID shutdown…cancellations, rebooking, more cancellations, finding deals on other cruise lines, it had been a few years since I had been on either of the AWAY ships.  Matter of fact, it was 4 years ago, where I met fellow cruiser @GA Dave…he and the cruise were great.

The Getaway was in the same condition and the same shape as I remembered her.  Couple of changes (Syd Norman’s).  But overall, still in great condition, clean, and almost like home.  I immediately knew where to go to do what I wanted.

I booked the cheapest HAVEN Suite I could find….a HAVEN SPA SUITE.  Cabin was great, as all HAVEN Suites are, but it included access to the ship spa, which I used every day.  It was actually less than a regular Spa Cabin or a large balcony cabin on a Royal ship with a similar itinerary.   Plus, I got $300 OBC from AMEX Platinum with a bottle of wine and dinner at Le Bistro.  My TA threw in a $200 fare discount, free service charges and $100 OBC.  Plus, given they weren’t offering Behind the Scenes or Wine Tasting for Sapphire Latitudes members (which we’re supposed to get), I got another $50 OBC.  All totaled, that was $450 OBC on top of the dinner and discounts.

Latitudes gave me…

-Free bag of  laundry

-dinner at Cagney’s or LeBistro plus a bottle of wine

-dinner at Moderno or LaCucina

-some discounts on excursions,  NCL merch, strawberries, some water cartons

-some other minor stuff….

Plus, the “free” specialty dining and drinks with “Free at Sea” promos (not including the service charges that were picked up by my TA).

In short, I had more Specialty Dining perks than I knew what to do with.  And, I still had the Haven Restaurant access.

I did no pre-planning….ZERO!  All excursions, all meals, all shows were done by my concierges.  I woke up in the a.m., made coffee in the NESPRESSO machine (which I love so much, I bought one for home), and parked my carcass on my balcony until I decided to venture out.

(Cont)

07BCA0B2-9F2E-49C2-BE32-5BF552474CC1.jpeg

I just got a platinum am ex and looking forward to booking a future cruise using it.  Are their prices comparable to other travel agents? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2boyzmom said:

I just got a platinum am ex and looking forward to booking a future cruise using it.  Are their prices comparable to other travel agents? 

I keep hearing about all these perks from the platinum Amex...I'm a bit soured on Amex as they keep refusing to raise my limit beyond a whopping $800. What the hell can you buy for $800? I guess they just don't like me. The other companies have no issue with a normal person sized credit limit (the only other details I'll provide is that my CC utilization hovers between 0% and 0% per month...but Amex just hates me. Oh well - I've just resigned myself to not being a fancy schmancy person with my metal card. 🙂 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I keep hearing about all these perks from the platinum Amex...I'm a bit soured on Amex as they keep refusing to raise my limit beyond a whopping $800. What the hell can you buy for $800? I guess they just don't like me. The other companies have no issue with a normal person sized credit limit (the only other details I'll provide is that my CC utilization hovers between 0% and 0% per month...but Amex just hates me. Oh well - I've just resigned myself to not being a fancy schmancy person with my metal card. 🙂 

Does platinum have a limit? I have gold, and I don't have a limit (though I do have a "pay over time" limit). They keep trying to get me to upgrade to platinum, but I can't justify that big an annual fee (plus the $175 annual fee to have my husband as an authorized user) because we don't travel much or use Uber. However if the perks of cruising NCL 1-2x/year outweigh the annual fees, I'd love to know.

I'd also like to know if booking through AMEX means you don't get Upgrade Advantage. I already have a ton of points I'd be happy to use.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rbxlady said:

Does platinum have a limit? I have gold, and I don't have a limit (though I do have a "pay over time" limit). They keep trying to get me to upgrade to platinum, but I can't justify that big an annual fee (plus the $175 annual fee to have my husband as an authorized user) because we don't travel much or use Uber. However if the perks of cruising NCL 1-2x/year outweigh the annual fees, I'd love to know.

I'd also like to know if booking through AMEX means you don't get Upgrade Advantage. I already have a ton of points I'd be happy to use.

As you know, I can't answer your question from experience, but I did find this page which will help you determine if it works for you...

If you stay in a suite, you'll get $300 OBC on NCL, plus a dinner for two at Le Bistro each time you pay with your Platinum. 

Here's the site with all the details: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/amex-platinum-cruise-privileges-program/

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

As you know, I can't answer your question from experience, but I did find this page which will help you determine if it works for you...

If you stay in a suite, you'll get $300 OBC on NCL, plus a dinner for two at Le Bistro each time you pay with your Platinum. 

Here's the site with all the details: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/amex-platinum-cruise-privileges-program/

Ah, I should've known the points guy would write about it! Sometimes I need to remind myself that Google can be your friend 😉 I did just find the AMEX page on it, so I have some thinking to do.

• Like 2

My TA participates in the AMEX perks programs.  AMEX has their own travel agency, though.  My understanding is, you don’t have to work directly with AMEX travel to get the perks.

I’ve never booked directly through NCL, but have heard they DO NOT participate in the AMEX perks.  Have never confirmed that personally, though.

This is all through AMEX Platinum.  Not sure how it works with them, but I think it’s based on income and debt ratios.  What those ratios are, I do not know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbxlady said:

The limit depends on your credit history. The platinum fee is ok for me since I will use the $200 airline fees,  $200 Uber fees, $240 digital entertainment fees plus the airport lounges plus cruise perks are great too.

Edited by 2boyzmom
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

My TA participates in the AMEX perks programs.  AMEX has their own travel agency, though.  My understanding is, you don’t have to work directly with AMEX travel to get the perks.

I’ve never booked directly through NCL, but have heard they DO NOT participate in the AMEX perks.  Have never confirmed that personally, though.

This is all through AMEX Platinum.  Not sure how it works with them, but I think it’s based on income and debt ratios.  What those ratios are, I do not know.

It looks like to get the cruise perks you need to book through the Am Ex travel agency. I'm fine with that as long as the price is not more than others...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 2boyzmom said:

It looks like to get the cruise perks you need to book through the Am Ex travel agency. I'm fine with that as long as the price is not more than others...

You don't have to book through that agency, as there are other agencies that are "American Express Travel Representatives."  Just make sure to ask before booking if they are able to secure the benefit for you.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

You don't have to book through that agency, as there are other agencies that are "American Express Travel Representatives."  Just make sure to ask before booking if they are able to secure the benefit for you.

Great! Thank you. I was looking at their travel coverage but don't think it covers medical evac? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Good to know that there are TAs who work with AMEX, even if we don't upgrade to platinum. I am already sorry that I did not use a TA this upcoming cruise, but now I know. My brother was on a NCL cruise that was supposed to end in Rome but got stuck in Barcelona, and he was very grateful to have a TA stateside to help advocate for him.

Sorry for sustaining the tangent!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2boyzmom said:

Great! Thank you. I was looking at their travel coverage but don't think it covers medical evac? 

It looks like that falls under the category of "Premium Global Assist Hotline."  It MAY provide emergency transportation, but only under a bunch of conditions, it appears.  I don't rely on the card's coverage for medical.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, gatorchinsky said:

It’s been awhile since I was on the Getaway (2018) and it was before the refurbishment, but where is a good place for a Martini?  Also, what bar has the best and/or extensive wine menu?

Atrium Bar.  Plus, there’s usually something that’s going on in the Atrium to entertain you while sipping your martini! 😉

I also saw people sipping martinis at O’Sheehans.  But, don’t know if they’re any good since I never tried any there.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

@graphicguy I did have a question about the smoked Manhattan you highlighted up in the Haven Lounge.  First, that looked AMAZING. Second, was that covered under the Regular Beverage Package, if not, did you upgrade to the Premium Plus Beverage Package, or just pay the difference out of pocket? Thanks!

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 9:19 AM, graphicguy said:

Atrium Bar.  Plus, there’s usually something that’s going on in the Atrium to entertain you while sipping your martini! 😉

I also saw people sipping martinis at O’Sheehans.  But, don’t know if they’re any good since I never tried any there.

The bar between the 2 main dining rooms was also a great bar for a drink before dinner or really anytime. But, I recommend being in the haven and drinking an amazing martini in the haven bar lol

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 3:08 PM, graphicguy said:

Same here.  I flatten out my clothes and slide them into the bag, squashing each piece inside the bag.  Probably could have fit another shirt in there, too.

The bag’s volume doesn’t worry me as much as it’s thinness, which dissuades from stuffing it.  It’s a game with me.  I pride myself in being able to put 3, 4, 5 days of clothes in that bag without ripping it.  Transporting it may be an issue, but I did my job and got those clothes in the bag.  LOL!

Exactly right. It's a game. If you REALLY needed more laundry, you could post $12 for another bag of whatever it is. Games are fun!

• Like 1

Thanks for a fantastic review,  last sailed on the Getaway on 2018.

Sailing Solo in November, can't wait, recently off the Joy and loved the waterside bar and Q! Sounds like similar options, just not quite the same on Getaway now.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 5:04 PM, Skeletor77 said:

@graphicguy I did have a question about the smoked Manhattan you highlighted up in the Haven Lounge.  First, that looked AMAZING. Second, was that covered under the Regular Beverage Package, if not, did you upgrade to the Premium Plus Beverage Package, or just pay the difference out of pocket? Thanks!

Covered under the regular drink package!  But, I had mine made with my preferred bourbon, Buffalo Trace.  If you request some other bourbon, not sure!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

@graphicguy 

Thanks for the great report--it has got me SO excited to get back on the Getaway!

Coming home yesterday I was so exhausted the thought of sailing in 3 weeks seemed nuts.

I had slept poorly Friday night...so I blamed the exhaustion on that & travel day.

NOPE--tested positive for COVID last night.

Very mild cold symptoms...so figured I'd better test b4 seeing DF who is battling cancer today.

Oh, well, it's a risk we take right now. Brain fog is the worst of it.

Just hoping it doesn't affect this upcoming cruise! (I don't expect it to)

Re: internet.

I had every intention of a liver report on the Caribbean Princess. 
HA.

It became an exercise in futility. Posted quite a bit on turnaround day, tried again & just GAVE UP. 

Figured I could just do it this week.

Hey, if you can swing Aug. 13 or 20 on the Getaway it looks like a fun crowd! 

• Like 1