Boarding questions when on a segment of a longer cruise

Wayfairers

We will be boarding in Rotterdam for the 2nd half of Voyage of the Vikings.  We’ve never joined a longer cruise at the halfway point and I’m wondering how does boarding work when that happens?  I’m assuming we will be assigned a boarding time closer to the day we board, July 25.    The ship will be staying overnight in port and sailing at 5pm the day after we board.  Checkout time at our hotel (next door to the cruise terminal) is at 11am.   It would be nice to checkout of the hotel on the 25th, immediately walk to the cruise terminal, checkin with HAL, drop off the carry on luggage in the room and spend most of the day exploring Rotterdam.   Does anyone who has joined a segment of a longer cruise know does boarding still start around the normal boarding time?  I have no doubt there will be much fewer passengers joining that day than when the cruise started in Boston, is the boarding process the same as when you are boarding for the entire cruise?  We did the 1st half of the Voyage of the Vikings years ago and when we disembarked in Amsterdam I remember only a handful of others disembarking with us and I don’t recall seeing anyone waiting to join the cruise.

I don't know if it's the same for HAL (or the same post-C19), but I did this with Cunard once, joining the last segment of a cruise. It was in NYC. We boarded around 11 (there was no one in the terminal except us). Most of the existing passengers were out visiting NYC and we pretty much had the ship (almost) all to ourselves for the next few hours. It was fantastic! I hope you're able to enjoy the same experience.

We did this on a South America cruise, also a two day stay in port. There were 100 of us boarding in Lima. Those that were stayat HAL's hotel were bused to the port, and boarded at about noon, on the secondday of the port stay. We dropped our bags in our room, grabbed lunch, and had a special muster drill...for all 100, at 2pm. Otherwise,  it was a low key boarding day, with no other special activities that I recall.

I boarded the Amsterdam for the last segment of a world cruise in Civitavecchia.  I had a HAL transfer from my hotel in Rome to the ship.  There were only a few of us boarding.  No check-in until we got on the ship and were directed to the Front Office for the check-in routines.  A few crew members lined the gangway to welcome us aboard.  It was a different and very pleasant experience.  But, that was then.  Now....?

I once boarded the last couple of segments of the World Cruise in Barcelona. The check-in time was as normal, but the check-in area was empty of anyone, pretty much. There were people to take the luggage, and someone to ask so wheelchair assistance could be obtained, but otherwise no one but a handful of boarding passengers.
We had to board the ship, and were directed to the main lounge where you entered, checked in, got your key, and exited on the other side. Very organized, and very quick. Off to the cabin to settle in as normal, but someone could do as they wished for the rest of the day. 

I haven't taken the Voyage of the Vikings in several years, so there might be much less turnover than when I did take it. But I do remember a time when there were enough passengers boarding that check-in was in the terminal. 

• Like 1