Info on Taking eMed COVID Tests

I tried to do my test yesterday and ran into a problem with my tests.  I had 3 test kits and only needed 1.  The first 2 did not work as they were expired.  I  was doing a proctored test so I had to do a third kit that I had just received in the mail earlier.  I was able to do the test and received my negative test.

On 6/4/2022 at 5:03 PM, cruisinfly said:

I've seen a lot of questions/discussions on COVID testing. My family took our eMed COVID tests and I thought I'd share my experience/procedures for anybody else planning to do this. Here's my experience in chronological order:

1. I ordered the test kits from eMed dot com around 1 month prior to our cruise. They came in a pack of 6. I have a family of 5 so I ordered 1 pack.

2. I submitted a claim for reimbursement to my health insurance company. They are supposed to cover the cost of these tests.

3. I created an eMed account.

4. I downloaded the NAVICA app and created an NAVICA account.

5. I was able to add all of my family members, wife and children, to my account. (My family members did not need their own login or account.)

6. I received the eMed test kits within a couple of days. Leave the individual test kits sealed/closed until the proctor tells you to open them. Don't order too early, the expiration date was in 11 months from the day I received them.

7. Two days before departure, We took our proctored eMed tests. No appointment needed (nor available). Here's how they worked. 

7a. I used my Android cell phone for the tests. I scanned the QR code on the eMed test kit box to "start testing". This brought me to a login page (eMed account).

7b. I selected who was testing (all my family members were under my account). The software checked the network, microphone, speaker, and camera. You need to have photo ID available. (kids under 15 don't need photo ID but and adult will need to help with their test and have their ID). You will use the camera to show the proctor your photo ID.

7c. Answered a few questions, then it said "connecting you to a test proctor". This took around 30-60 seconds before the proctor came on the line.

7d. Most proctors didn't speak English very well and were hard to understand but we got through it. Using my cell camera, I showed them the QR code/Expiration date. I had to remove a sleeve on the box to expose that info.

7e. They kept switching between my front-facing camera and my rear facing camera. I did not control that. Was a bit odd. They then gave step-by-step instructions to administer the test. They want the camera facing you and the test card flat on the table in front of you. I propped up the phone.

7d. Open the box, take out what's inside: a swab, a test card, and a dropper of liquid. Box was much bigger than it needed to be.

7e. Open the test card, set it flat on the table. Place 6 drops of liquid in the small hole on top.

7f. Open the swab, gently swab your nose 5 times in each nostril. Insert the swab into the large hole in the card so it's visible in the small hole, twist 3 times.

7g. Expose adhesive and seal the card. Keep the card visible in the camera. They start a 15 minute timer and leave you. You can get up and leave but be sure you're back before the timer expires and your card is visible in the camera the whole time.

7h. Once the timer expires, a button will come up on the phone that says "I'm ready", press it and you'll be connected to a new proctor. Took around 30 seconds.

7i. You'll hold the camera over the QR code and test window on the card. Then they ask you to read the results: Two pink lines-positive, One pink line next to control-negative. All of our tests were negative. Yay! We are going on our cruise!

8. It took them about 1 minute to e-mail the test results to my e-mail address. All my family's results went to my e-mail address.

9. About 4 minutes later, your results showed up in the NAVICA app. I printed both the eMed e-mailed results and the results downloaded from NAVICA. (I think they just need the NAVICA results). I can also see the results on my cell phone NAVICA app.

Overall, each test took around 20 minutes total. It was very convenient to test at home. The app/cell phone worked great for testing. I would definitely use these tests again.

Hope this answers questions anyone might have. Good luck!

Great info!

Did all of you test at the same time?? 

• 3 weeks later...

I realized whey they switch between front and back cameras.  Front camera gives a reverse image, back camera gives the actual image so they can scan qr codes and read ID's.  For monitoring the test, front camera is all that is needed as is actually reading the test itself.  

On 6/4/2022 at 10:00 PM, SKSMIKE5 said:

I assume they would not test all of you at one time? Thought maybe with a computer you could see multiple test cards and they'd allow it. I have to do four next Saturday and was curious about that.

If you use multiple devices, you could test multiple people at the same time. Laptops are the easiest, because of the ability to reposition the camera and not have to hold it. I definitely needed both hands.

I appreciate the OP's effort in putting the instructions together. We've done a handful of tests in the past year and the process is pretty easy.

Another tip -- have a pair of scissors handy for opening the kit.

We've had one bad test, and eMed sent us a complete replacement for it. That is, they sent us a new order of six tests to replace the one bad test! I think that was a mistake, but I am not complaining.

I used my HSA debit card to pay.

There are four of us. I am going to take six monitored tests with us to London next month. I'll probably also take a few free regular tests with us for use as needed.

• Haha 1

Have people had much problems with bandwidth/connectivity?  I've done the tests before and find them very easy but only done so from home.  Situation will be different this time and I'll be taking the tests from a hotel room.  Curious if people have been successful with hotel wifi and/or cellular connectivity LTE/5G.  Acknowledging every place and connection strength is different, just curious if there's any notable experiences either consistently successful or noteworthy challenges.

21 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

Have people had much problems with bandwidth/connectivity?  I've done the tests before and find them very easy but only done so from home.  Situation will be different this time and I'll be taking the tests from a hotel room.  Curious if people have been successful with hotel wifi and/or cellular connectivity LTE/5G.  Acknowledging every place and connection strength is different, just curious if there's any notable experiences either consistently successful or noteworthy challenges.

Did it from our hotel in Amsterdam to fly home in May.  No problems. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 5:03 PM, cruisinfly said:

5. I was able to add all of my family members, wife and children, to my account. (My family members did not need their own login or account.)

When I went to create an account, I was not given any way of adding family members.  And when I searched their website, I got this information saying that each person who tests on eMed is required to create an eMed account. Which is doable, but annoying.  

Please let me know how you were able to add more people.

Title
CAN I SHARE MY 6-PACK WITH OTHERS?
URL Name
CAN-I-SHARE-MY-6-PACK-WITH-OTHERS
Answer
Yes. However, for travelers, please be aware that eMed recommends that each individual travels with at least two testing kits at a time. Additionally, each person who tests on eMed.com is required to create an eMed account.

There are two separate accounts required.

1. The eMed account is for ordering the tests and having the tests proctored. You need only one.

2. The Navica account is used for the actual testing process and to view results. You can create one account for yourself, and add everyone else as a managed profile. Go to https://www.mynavica.abbott to create the account. Once it's created, sign in then click on Add Managed Profile to add the second person. Repeat for each person.

When it's time to test, log in with the eMed account, then the Navica account, then select the Profile.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

There are two separate accounts required.

1. The eMed account is for ordering the tests and having the tests proctored. You need only one.

2. The Navica account is used for the actual testing process and to view results. You can create one account for yourself, and add everyone else as a managed profile. Go to https://www.mynavica.abbott to create the account. Once it's created, sign in then click on Add Managed Profile to add the second person. Repeat for each person.

When it's time to test, log in with the eMed account, then the Navica account, then select the Profile.

Actually, the Navica account is for your test results.  The emed account is where you do the actual test with the proctors.  You log into Navica, scan the code which then tells you to open emed and start the process.  When the test is done, your results are sent to the Navica account.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

May want to make sure you have an extra proctored test kit!

We did 4 of our 6 yesterday. It was not clear if one email was possible or not, so everyone used their own email.

One warning, one of our tests came back as "not valid" so we had to quickly schedule a rapid at Quest, and that was yesterday, and still no results. Hoping for results today, sail tomorrow.

The test process itself was simple, and each person started their own call. There was no waiting for the testing session to start.

Sail tomorrow and waiting for two more from my party to arrive this afternoon.

25 minutes ago, tutzig said:

May want to make sure you have an extra proctored test kit!

We did 4 of our 6 yesterday. It was not clear if one email was possible or not, so everyone used their own email.

One warning, one of our tests came back as "not valid" so we had to quickly schedule a rapid at Quest, and that was yesterday, and still no results. Hoping for results today, sail tomorrow.

The test process itself was simple, and each person started their own call. There was no waiting for the testing session to start.

Sail tomorrow and waiting for two more from my party to arrive this afternoon.

Why did you have to use Quest if you only had used 4 of your 6 tests?  Even though we have Quest labs nearby, they don't do rapid.  We'd have to drive 25 miles at least to find one that does.

We're using them for the second time for our 22 July cruise.  For April, I had 4 tests for 2 people. We used two and when DH's officemate had to cancel his cruise due to his wife having had back surgery, we bought two more off of him so we have four for this upcoming trip.  Always have extra.  My best friend just left on QE2 yesterday.  We had talked about the tests and I told her to buy two, but she bought one.  Her results were invalid and she had to scramble to find an Urgent Care appointment and paid more for it.  The only easier/not expensive test we had was in PC last Nov where a lab was set up in our hotel for cruisers and that was $40/person at the time.  

Edited by BND

9 minutes ago, BND said:

Why did you have to use Quest if you only had used 4 of your 6 tests?  Even though we have Quest labs nearby, they don't do rapid.  We'd have to drive 25 miles at least to find one that does.

Because we have my son and his friend cruising with us and coming in this afternoon.

As I have never used my phone for this before I have a couple of questions. (I see conflicting responses re e-med and Navica) . We will only have one phone with us in Europe.

1. Does one of us log in, perform the test and then log out at the end - and then scan the QR code AGAIN and log in for the other person to test?  Or ....... when the first person is done can the second person go through all the steps all on the same phone connection?

2. What happens during the 15 minutes that they are waiting for the result to develop, will it disconnect due to the screen saver going black?  Sorry I'm not that smart with technology 😄 

3 hours ago, zebra said:

1. Does one of us log in, perform the test and then log out at the end - and then scan the QR code AGAIN and log in for the other person to test?  Or ....... when the first person is done can the second person go through all the steps all on the same phone connection?

2. What happens during the 15 minutes that they are waiting for the result to develop, will it disconnect due to the screen saver going black?

Yes. 
Don’t let it go into saver mode, but it should stay connected. 

7 hours ago, zebra said:

As I have never used my phone for this before I have a couple of questions. (I see conflicting responses re e-med and Navica) . We will only have one phone with us in Europe.

2. What happens during the 15 minutes that they are waiting for the result to develop, will it disconnect due to the screen saver going black?  Sorry I'm not that smart with technology 😄 

Did this from Rome Hilton Airport on their Wi-Fi.  Had to add my husband to my account as he forgot his phone at home.  Brought 3 tests for two of us.  Worked perfectly as original poster.  I signed on. Did my test.  When complete started the next person on my account.   Was very apprehensive but all worked out and we flew out the next day.  Showed results on phone to  agent at check in. At least now there are no requirements to fly back to US but will use these tests to board in December..

We never have luck trying to log onto the NAVICA app so….we just go straight to Emed and log in there and it gives us the ability to put in our NAVICA log on information from there.

So I guess you can do it either way….

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

ok ...just to clarify....I made the Navica account...put hubby with me. Then set up Emed. 

so one question....with Emed....each person testing needs their own account or we can both use my sign in. I am confused on this part. 

thanks all

14 minutes ago, minnie00 said:

ok ...just to clarify....I made the Navica account...put hubby with me. Then set up Emed. 

so one question....with Emed....each person testing needs their own account or we can both use my sign in. I am confused on this part. 

thanks all

My wife and I did separate accounts. It was easier to send the results to each others email and thus their phone. We used the same laptop to test but signed in separately.

We always test separately on separately except when we both used my laptop in Amsterdam. Dh had a little delay in using his account after I tested. He says logged out completely from emed and the started fresh. He has his own account. 

On 6/29/2022 at 8:37 AM, cyntil8ing said:

If you use multiple devices, you could test multiple people at the same time. Laptops are the easiest, because of the ability to reposition the camera and not have to hold it. I definitely needed both hands.

I appreciate the OP's effort in putting the instructions together. We've done a handful of tests in the past year and the process is pretty easy.

Another tip -- have a pair of scissors handy for opening the kit.

We've had one bad test, and eMed sent us a complete replacement for it. That is, they sent us a new order of six tests to replace the one bad test! I think that was a mistake, but I am not complaining.

I used my HSA debit card to pay.

There are four of us. I am going to take six monitored tests with us to London next month. I'll probably also take a few free regular tests with us for use as needed.

Just make sure you put your tests in your carryon. We bubble wrapped ours and had them at the bottom of our backpack. Pretty stressful keeping them from getting damaged especially on our flight to Amsterdam where we used them for boarding Jewel a couple of weeks ago.

We had no trouble with reception at our hotel and had them print out the hard copy for us just in case.