the Key?

Everyone over the age of 6 in the cabin must purchase.

It includes priority seating at shows, wifi for one device for each person for the duration of the voyage, priority at check in, priority off at ports, lunch on embarkation in the MDR from the Chops lunch menu, and the service of dropping your carryons on a luggage cart from which they will deliver them to your cabin for you.

The financial equation is usually:  if the cost per person is not much more than the cost of the wifi alone, it's a decent value. Otherwise, unless you are a "priority" sort of person, not so much.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

The financial equation is usually:  if the cost per person is not much more than the cost of the wifi alone, it's a decent value. Otherwise, unless you are a "priority" sort of person, not so much.

Not to mention, the multiple device packages for Wi-Fi can be significantly cheaper than the same number of separate one device packages. Once you factor that in, the value can drop even more. 

• Like 2

Personally, my husband and I are elderly and decided to give it a try.  For us to get on the ship earlier with less people, lunch without having to deal with the Windjammer buffet, VIP seating for shows, not having to lug around our carryon bags and getting to have a real breakfast each morning on our balcony is well worth it for us.  We also weighed the cost against the outrageous cost of the drink package for both of us (I know drink alcohol much less than I used to), the Key is a cheaper and better way to enjoy our cruise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HD2003 said:

Personally, my husband and I are elderly and decided to give it a try.  For us to get on the ship earlier with less people, lunch without having to deal with the Windjammer buffet, VIP seating for shows, not having to lug around our carryon bags and getting to have a real breakfast each morning on our balcony is well worth it for us.  We also weighed the cost against the outrageous cost of the drink package for both of us (I know drink alcohol much less than I used to), the Key is a cheaper and better way to enjoy our cruise.  

The Key has nothing to do with the drink package.

7 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I think the poster meant to purchase the Key is a better use of funds than a drink package for them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

3 hours ago, HD2003 said:

If you have the key are you not charged the service fee for room service?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I think the poster meant to purchase the Key is a better use of funds than a drink package for them.

Trying to figure out what the poster "meant" is sometimes confusing. 

• Like 1

We had a some friends get back from the Oasis a few weeks ago and had The Key. They stated it was not worth it and not to buy it. Seemed a lot of the staff were confused on its benefits when the time came to use them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HD2003 said:

On oasis class ship we get on very early without key. We never eat in windjammer. We love park cafe for lunch on embarking day. You only need one internet and can share. For the money just buy UDB and that is amazing. The key has zero benefits. 

• Like 2

Had the Key on Oasis two weeks ago.  The cost between the internet and the Key per person per day was $5.00.  The only value we derived from the Key was on day 1 (no lugging around our carryons, lunch in the MDR).  The key was not helpful with boarding as we had the first boarding time booked.  No issues with seating at shows and we didn't use the key area once.  We didn't attend any of the key times for activities because we didn't find them practical for us.  Key didn't include room service but I didn't expect it to based on the email that we received prior to boarding.  We did self assist for embarkation and were the 6th people off the ship.  We disembarked before the key passengers who were waiting in the pub.  I do think that the disembarkation perq would be a good one for those who want to leave the ship later and at their leisure.  Also, we didn't do the disembarkation breakfast but will say that we went to Windjammer when it first opened and it was extremely busy.  While we didn't feel that we got any significant value from the key, we would purchase it again if the cost between the internet and the Key was around $5 or so.  I would not get it at all if I were not purchasing internet.   There is a line where the key benefits that you would take advantage of and the price point make it worth it or not.  This would be different for everyone, obviously.

• Like 2

The problem with comparing this to internet cost is that key cost includes buying internet for ALL passengers in cabin over 6 years old.  We buy a single one-device surf package and share it.  MUCH cheaper than separate stream purchases for both of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brought the Key for our 3 day Freedom of the Seas, curious but also was only $2 more than internet zoom.  Lunch was nice in the dinning room as being a three day cruise, there were a lot of groups who can overwhelm a Windjammer.  We carried on our luggage for the trip so it was nice to pass those off with the Key group and have them available to use when we checked into our room at 1:30.  

We were also concerned with overcrowding at shows and didn't want to hassle with finding seats.  However, finding a seat if you got to the shows 10 minutes early was not a problem.  Not sure if this was because it was a three day cruise or what.  I do know that having the KEY on the Odyssey or Oasis ship would have been beneficial and would consider the KEY on those ships if the price was minimal.

Breakfast on departure day was nice, no Windjammer Group party and having our luggage available in a special area.  Downside was, once you enjoyed your breakfast you disembarked with the masses, no advancement to the front of the line, which wrapped thru the dinning room, out onto the outside deck.

• Like 2