Haven on Getaway

Elsammo46

I’ve heard that the Haven on the Getaway is the “worst” of the breakaway class vessels from a few folks. I know there isn’t a roof over thebHaven pool deck, but is the rest of the experience subpar when compared to the other breakaway class vessels? I only ask because I’m booked on the Getaway this August and was thinking of trying to upgrade into the Haven. 

I haven't experienced a Haven outside of the Getaway, however I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Getaway's Haven! From what I have heard/seen on YouTube, the restaurant is smaller and doesn't have outdoor dining like some Havens. Also, the lounge/bar area is small. There isn't an observation lounge like the larger Havens, but gosh I absolutely loved my time onboard!

We also loved the Getaway haven and have booked it again for next February winter break for my family from New York to the Bahamas. The restaurant is smaller but the service and food is top notch. Omar, the concierge is outstanding. Omar took us down to the shows ( Million Dollar Quartet was Fabulous). In order to make the early show the head waiter arranged for us to pre-order dinner so when we sat down our JUMBO shrimp cocktails were placed in front of us. We came back after the show to have dessert. The personal attention is great and a smaller bar/lounge area makes it easy to make friends. My only complaint was that one family with two small children insisted in coming up to the sundeck and doing their school lessons ( non stop talking). Because the Splash academy was closed the servers were reluctant to say anything. Because the Getaway leaves and returns to New York we love it. Did I like the Breakaway Plus class better? Yes, My husband loved the observation lounge, but it isn't available to us in the winter.

The Getaway was our least favorite Haven and I would likely do my best to avoid sailing on it or the Breakaway again. As an FYI, we've been in the Havens on the Epic (x2), Getaway (x1) and the Escape (2x).

If you've never sailed in Haven, I'm sure you will enjoy it. We disliked it because the restaurant was TINY and had very few window seats. There was no outdoor seating area. There was no waiting area for the restaurant, so when it got crowded, it spilled over into the bar -- and the bar wasn't overly large. We also like having a roof over the pool area.

I would sail the Getaway/Breakaway again if the itinerary was right, but I would definitely consider other options first. The ship itself was fine, but we also missed the wine bar/brew house/Food Republic that the Escape and the newer ships have. The Waterfront is awesome like it is on all the newer ships.

8 hours ago, brookie848 said:

The Getaway was our least favorite Haven and I would likely do my best to avoid sailing on it or the Breakaway again. As an FYI, we've been in the Havens on the Epic (x2), Getaway (x1) and the Escape (2x).

If you've never sailed in Haven, I'm sure you will enjoy it. We disliked it because the restaurant was TINY and had very few window seats. There was no outdoor seating area. There was no waiting area for the restaurant, so when it got crowded, it spilled over into the bar -- and the bar wasn't overly large. We also like having a roof over the pool area.

I would sail the Getaway/Breakaway again if the itinerary was right, but I would definitely consider other options first. The ship itself was fine, but we also missed the wine bar/brew house/Food Republic that the Escape and the newer ships have. The Waterfront is awesome like it is on all the newer ships.

What she said except I have no interest in sailing BA or GA again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brookie848 said:

Hmmmm…..love the Haven on both “Away” ships.  Booked in the Haven on the Getaway a month from now.

The waiting area for the Haven Restaurant (if there is a wait) is right outside the Haven Restaurant where the couches are.  You can see the Haven entrance from those couches.  Or, you can have a drink at the bar, which is within 5 feet of the Haven Restaurant entrance.  Or, you can have a cocktail served to you at those couches or outside by the pool.

The Haven restaurant is smaller than on the Breakaway Plus ships.  But, the upside to that is that every table has a view of the water no matter where you sit.  And, there are many more Haven guests on the Breakaway plus ships.  Getaway Haven, at least to me, is just the right size.

We had breakfast and lunch several times outside by the pool area.  We also dined outside for dinner with the Captain there, too.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1