Norwegian Fjords or Iceland Cruise from Dover - Which is Better?

Having a hard time deciding between the two for travel summer 2023. Could those of you who have been on either or both help share your experience to help us decide? We’ll be first time cruisers. High on our list would be a cruise with great views from aboard the ship as opposed to those sailings that rely solely on shore excursions for scenic views.   

Thanks!

I have done the ports of both these itineraries and would say if you intend to cruise more you will have the chance in the future  to do the Norwegian Fjiords again but Iceland is not so common   Iceland is a great country with a variety of thing as to do  but of course the Norwegian views are spectacular but lots of them are cruising views not stops   If you want to get off the ship more Iceland would be my choice 

Edited by windsor26
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree about the Iceland itinerary.  Totally different geography from Norway.  You will still go into fjords,  if not high walls with waterfalls.  But you will still visit at least two waterfalls.  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to cruise critic.

As mentioned in the previous posts, there is a very big difference between Iceland and Norway - I would definitely recommend Norway when it comes to beautiful scenery - but it is far from all ports in Norway that are in a scenic fjord - many ports are very small towns  located next to the coast - choose your itinerary carefully.
You do not mention which cruise lines or expedition cruises - there is also a very big difference between cruise lines.
Please let us know which cruise lines, itineraries and your wishes - then you will get much better advice.  It is important to plan and ask all your questions.
Many experienced cruisers will answer your questions, but again, please include more details.

Edited by hallasm
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hallasm said:

Welcome to cruise critic.

As mentioned in the previous posts, there is a very big difference between Iceland and Norway - I would definitely recommend Norway when it comes to beautiful scenery - but it is far from all ports in Norway that are in a scenic fjord - many ports are very small towns  located next to the coast - choose your itinerary carefully.
You do not mention which cruise lines or expedition cruises - there is also a very big difference between cruise lines.
Please let us know which cruise lines, itineraries and your wishes - then you will get much better advice.  It is important to plan and ask all your questions.
Many experienced cruisers will answer your questions, but again, please include more details.

They are looking at Carnival Pride, as this thread was moved from the Carnival board.  EM

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

They are looking at Carnival Pride, as this thread was moved from the Carnival board.

Thank you. Make sense.
My recommendation is Norway - two scenic fjord cruisings into Skjolden and  Olden - also including Bergen and Ålesund.

Edited by hallasm
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We have been on cruises to both Norway and Iceland.   Both are great, but I would probably give the edge to Norway.   Especially if you enjoy views from ship.    Get up early if you are entering a Fjord, the best views I had in Norway were on the top deck by myself at about 4:30 am.   Do a little planning and know where your ship is going to be.     Have fun !

• Thanks 1

Thanks @CCJack ! We just booked the Norway cruise. Now to do some research on the ports and excursions. I noticed that there are several excursions for different Fjord cruises. Wonder if that is redundant if you are failing into a fjord on your main cruise or if the smaller boat and route makes it an entirely different experience. 

5 hours ago, Zenlotusleaf said:

Thanks @CCJack ! We just booked the Norway cruise. Now to do some research on the ports and excursions. I noticed that there are several excursions for different Fjord cruises. Wonder if that is redundant if you are failing into a fjord on your main cruise or if the smaller boat and route makes it an entirely different experience. 

Agree with Hallasm , that you can see the fjord from your big ship just fine.   However, as I mentioned there is time of day to consider.   We docked at Flam at 6 am so that means we were in the Fjord at about 4.  Not kidding when I say I was the only one on deck.. the whole ship missed the sail in.  Sail out the Fjord is of course an option but morning and evening can be quite different views with sun, wind differences, etc.   I would concentrate on planning your days for excursions either DIY or group tours to see land based things then watched the Fjord on way in or way out on ship.   Our best excursion was taking the train at Flam up the mountain but biking down the mountain.   Takes some planning but was very special.

• Thanks 1