ART PURCHASES-SEEKING INTEREST.

There is another issue that can apply to watches and electronics when they are purchased out of your own country.  One should be wary of so called "Grey Market" products.  These are brand name products that are sold without complying with various rules imposed by the brand company.  What it means for the consumer is that they might by a decent watch, phone, computer, etc. and not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.    This is particularly common with electronics sold in places like St Thomas and St Maarten.  If you ask the store, "is this covered by a warranty" the answer is usually "yes" but it might be a warranty issued by a third-party company.   We most recently saw this with some Movado watches sold in the Caribbean.   I do not know if this is an issue with some cruise ship shops, but when buying those kind of products it always wise to inquire about the warranty and even ask to see it in writing.

Hank

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

There is another issue that can apply to watches and electronics when they are purchased out of your own country.  One should be wary of so called "Grey Market" products.  These are brand name products that are sold without complying with various rules imposed by the brand company.  What it means for the consumer is that they might by a decent watch, phone, computer, etc. and not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.    This is particularly common with electronics sold in places like St Thomas and St Maarten.  If you ask the store, "is this covered by a warranty" the answer is usually "yes" but it might be a warranty issued by a third-party company.   We most recently saw this with some Movado watches sold in the Caribbean.   I do not know if this is an issue with some cruise ship shops, but when buying those kind of products it always wise to inquire about the warranty and even ask to see it in writing.

Hank

i did , we did , and with patients we have  aobtained an original. 

• Like 1

I am of the opinion that some people loose a little of their logical thinking ability  when they are on a cruise.  Or try overly hard to impress their partner.

Retailers like Park West and Diamonds International have built their business on it.  

The cruise lines continue to get a piece of this action through rents/commissions or from ' port store recommendation' fees. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iancal said:

I am of the opinion that some people loose a little of their logical thinking ability  when they are on a cruise.  

Of course-- if you insist on travelling with only a carry-on you will have to leave a lot of stuff at home.  Sadly, many cruisers seem to believe that they can do with a bit less common sense.