Lunch on ship while at Ocean Cay

bac513

On 6/9/2022 at 1:19 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Same items on the YC pool deck. Also, we had the option for a couple of hamburgers and fries. No waiting for a table. Quite pleasant.

By same items do you mean same as on Ocean Cay (e.g. lobster roll) or same as usual on YC pool deck?

3 hours ago, bac513 said:

By same items do you mean same as on Ocean Cay (e.g. lobster roll) or same as usual on YC pool deck?

Not the poster to whom you are referencing, but, the YC Lunch Menu at the venue on Ocean Cay is not the same as what is offered on the Pool Deck as far as I know.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bac513 said:

Same menu , but I defer to rkacruiser as the expert on most matters. Not really a lobster fan. I'll make a mental note as we leave tomorrow morning for the June 11 sailing. If we are able to dock, we will come back to the ship to eat at the YC pool deck and check.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

We got to OC rather late. (4 th attempt was a charm) May 14th sailing. Everyone got off the ship at the same time so there was an extremely long line waiting for the 12 person trolley to Ocean House. So we opted to hit the shops and mosey back to the ship. We recommend to eat at least once at Ocean House. First time we ate on the veranda, like Bali Hai with the palm swaying and the waves crashing on the rocks a few yards away. The next time the wind was blowing and the temperature dropped, so we were fortunate to get one of the very few tables inside. Really enjoyed the last time on board as well. Service at both was extraordinary. We tipped our waiters $10 each time. (Since they were not our regular waiters in the YC).

• Like 2

We were on the May 7 sailing and did eat at Ocean House. The only negative for that visit was the rocky ocean. We have an overnight at OC in December and wife does not want to spend both days on the island

Edited by bac513
Added text

On 6/10/2022 at 7:00 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

I'll make a mental note as we leave tomorrow morning for the June 11 sailing. If we are able to dock, we will come back to the ship to eat at the YC pool deck and check.

Please let us know what you learn. 

On 6/10/2022 at 7:27 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

so we were fortunate to get one of the very few tables inside

Ocean House is too small to best meet the needs of the guests, in my opinion.  I was surprised at how few tables there were inside.  It had a "congested" feel, which, is counter to the YC experience on the ship.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Please let us know what you learn. 

Ocean House is too small to best meet the needs of the guests, in my opinion.  I was surprised at how few tables there were inside.  It had a "congested" feel, which, is counter to the YC experience on the ship.  

Our only visits to OC have been when in the YC on the Divina.  On that vessel there were approximately 200 in the YC and getting lunch at OC was a hassle (not enough tables to handle the crowd).  Now we have ships with over 300 in the YC and I can only imagine this is not a good thing.

Hank

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Our only visits to OC have been when in the YC on the Divina.  On that vessel there were approximately 200 in the YC and getting lunch at OC was a hassle (not enough tables to handle the crowd).  Now we have ships with over 300 in the YC and I can only imagine this is not a good thing.

Hank

We sailed last September on Mera and Divinia.  Reduced capacity but had four days there.  Mera trips seating was full at OH.  Divina not too bad.

I've said in other threads what is it going to be like when full capacity?  And you are right with the newer ships and more YC, this is not going to work well.  They found out quickly one unisex bathroom was not enough for the first 4.5 months until shutdown so the bathroom trailer was added.  Expansion of seating not as easy unless they add more outside tables and umbrellas.

One day they stuck us in the corner by the door staff would enter the bar.  It was like the hot box in Cool Hand Luke.  We really did like the water in the large aluminum cans.

3 hours ago, Seadweller001 said:

Great air conditioned respite but have to get there early to get an inside table.  Great service.

875D9AE5-7FFD-47D9-AFD9-592200159E0C.png

A few more table could be added and since there is no seating at the bar, does it need to be so big?  

We were thinking a bunch of smaller, more narrow tables for two lined up in an efficient way.  It is hot outside and birds do fly around.  We leave the gangway at 11:15 and take a nice walk over arriving circa 11:35.  With 200-300 YC Guests (hopefully for MSC's sake) it will pay to get there before noon.