Are drink packages worth the cost.

51st FMS

8 hours ago, CajunOyster said:

That, and the "I use my Cheers to buy my entire family drinks all week long crowd" on the other end of the spectrum.

Which we have in this topic....lol.

4 hours ago, cruiserbrianj said:

1/2 price pitchers...ie, caribbean tea, jamaican sunrise, etc and then 1/2 off carnival beer...caribbean wheat, 50th anniv beer, etc...you can get 1/2 off those buckets too.  Bud light and non carnival beers aren't included.

Thank you so much

10 hours ago, quattrohead said:

You are making us sound like politicians LOL. How about you MYOB.

Dishonesty is everyone's business.  If it weren't for cheats, prices wouldn't have to account for as much shrinkage, lowering prices for everyone.  But hey, at least you're up front about having no moral compass.  Your poor kids though - one hopes they are old enough to know right from wrong despite what you're teaching them.

6 hours ago, ray98 said:

Which we have in this topic....lol.

I just can't believe people are so open about it.  We all know it happens, I just thought those that DID it would at least be somewhat discreet about it or do it in moderation.  Boasting about using one Cheers for THREE people to the tune of 20+ drinks a day, all cruise long is pretty brash.

• Like 1

Cheers for us used to be a no brainer. But with the recent price increase and the shortages limiting what we drink, it is now just break even for us. I always go over our bill after a cruise and the last one would have been within a few dollars of break even if we had paid the new higher price. Luckily we had paid for Cheers before the price increase.

I think I posted this before. I am a RUM drinker. You must call or email prior to your cruise. I purchase the bottle of rum from the ships store. $85.00 and it will be in your room when you arrive. Only one catch. It must stay in your room. I also purchase the Bottomless Bubbles package. So the price of the RUM and the drink package is way lower than the package or purchase each drink separate. Wife does not drink, so this for me is a no brainer. You can purchase whatever alcohol the ships store sells and ahve it in your room. Prices are $85 to about $110 depending.

I do not drink but my wife does. We just returned from 12 days on Pride and even though drink prices are ridiculous we spent less than $400 on soda and alcohol. We didn't deny ourselves anything. If we wanted a drink we had one or two.  No way is Cheers worth it for us. It would have been close to $1,300 for Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMastell said:

I do not drink but my wife does. We just returned from 12 days on Pride and even though drink prices are ridiculous we spent less than $400 on soda and alcohol. We didn't deny ourselves anything. If we wanted a drink we had one or two.  No way is Cheers worth it for us. It would have been close to $1,300 for Cheers.

Same here! We did a 7 day Vista cruise last August, drank as much as we wanted & our bar tab on ship came out to  $271.

Edited by Joe817

17 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I think I posted this before. I am a RUM drinker. You must call or email prior to your cruise. I purchase the bottle of rum from the ships store. $85.00 and it will be in your room when you arrive. Only one catch. It must stay in your room. I also purchase the Bottomless Bubbles package. So the price of the RUM and the drink package is way lower than the package or purchase each drink separate. Wife does not drink, so this for me is a no brainer. You can purchase whatever alcohol the ships store sells and ahve it in your room. Prices are $85 to about $110 depending.

And folks wonder why others try anything and everything to smuggle liquor on board, lol.  The prices they charge per bottle are laughable (and amount to robbery).  Wife and I bring our wine bottles and sprite to make wine coolers.  Although it's tempting to try out the "underwear flask" with strategically placed spigot, lol (and yes, it's a real thing on Amazon).

LOL.....I really love these topics.

"My wife and I drank as much as we wanted on our 14 day cruise.....bar tab was $42.  Cheers isn't worth it"

Edited by ray98
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, tweak89 said:

And folks wonder why others try anything and everything to smuggle liquor on board, lol.  The prices they charge per bottle are laughable (and amount to robbery).  Wife and I bring our wine bottles and sprite to make wine coolers.  Although it's tempting to try out the "underwear flask" with strategically placed spigot, lol (and yes, it's a real thing on Amazon).

As I mentioned. Compared to individual drinks unless you only have a few or the package it comes out a lot less. yes $85 is expensive but the other way is far more.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

As I mentioned. Compared to individual drinks unless you only have a few or the package it comes out a lot less. yes $85 is expensive but the other way is far more.

Oh, I know.  It's the same thing with dining plans at theme parks.  You have to really try to break even and it's even harder to come out ahead.  But my comment wasn't really on the Carnival plans, just the ridiculous price they charge for a $20-30 bottle of liquor. 

On 6/18/2022 at 3:00 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

We often do something similar.  For a week we'll get a vodka/tonic mixer package for the room.  We'll also typically get the 5 bottle Premium wine package.  That plus maybe one or two bar drinks per day and we're set.  Plus that also helps us from over consuming and impacting our enjoyment.

On 6/16/2022 at 11:08 PM, CajunOyster said:

Dishonesty is everyone's business.  If it weren't for cheats, prices wouldn't have to account for as much shrinkage, lowering prices for everyone.  But hey, at least you're up front about having no moral compass.  Your poor kids though - one hopes they are old enough to know right from wrong despite what you're teaching them.

You do realize that they only pay about $3-$4 tops for a bottle of liquor? The profit is already there. They are just taking advantage of captive audience. Prices are only increasing because CCL as a publicly traded company needs to increase revenue, increase profits, and make money for the shareholders. Nothing and I mean nothing else matters to them. Anything they say publicly is simply lip-service.

22 hours ago, tweak89 said:

I agree that alcohol prices are inflated. With that said, the consumption bottles are amongst the best deal in the business. It's a 1 liter bottle for roughly $100. You generally aren't getting that much alcohol for that price at any other restaurant, bar, or cruise bar. 

On 6/18/2022 at 2:00 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I order my room bottles online, haven't had to call or email in many years. The bottles are in the room when we arrive. Carnival has made it much easier to buy booze.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

I order my room bottles online, haven't had to call or email in many years. The bottles are in the room when we arrive. Carnival has made it much easier to buy booze.

Please share. How do you buy online? I see no way on their web site. What am I missing?

20 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Please share. How do you buy online? I see no way on their web site. What am I missing?

Search for in-room-food-beverage.

I originally posted this as a link but it did not work unless your are signed in.

Try this one https://www.carnival.com/in-room-food-beverages/

Edited by DnD CruiserZ

1 hour ago, DnD CruiserZ said:

Search for in-room-food-beverage.

I originally posted this as a link but it did not work unless your are signed in.

Try this one https://www.carnival.com/in-room-food-beverages/

And for those wondering: 

you can navigate to that by clicking from the main page (or most other generic pages):

Manage - In Room Gifts & Shopping -> Food & Beverages, and then filter on liquor (left side on desktop).

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

And for those wondering: 

you can navigate to that by clicking from the main page (or most other generic pages):

Manage - In Room Gifts & Shopping -> Food & Beverages, and then filter on liquor (left side on desktop).

Now tell me something I do not want to hear. That price is plus the 18% ?

On 6/10/2022 at 9:08 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

Here was my experience after Day 1 and making good friends with the bartender at Red Frog on the Lido deck. Pass by going to breakfast at 6:30AM say high to the bartender, walk back by at about 7AM, and nice Red's Rum Treasure, Rum Runner Jumper, or a Frog Island Ice Tea waiting for me. Pretty much 25% of break even just after moving about.

Hey, happy Friday....have an extremely ignorant question for you...lol...we cruise a lot...platinum on carnival, diamond plus royal caribbean......going with another couple in a couple weeks on a 3 day carnival cruise.....IF we dedide to get the drink package, (here goes)...can you get two drinks at a time? (if you get my drift)....share with other couple .....or if you get a bucket of beer, does each beer in the bucket go towards your max for the day?  Not that we're going to drink a lot, but we have quite a bit of OBC and drink package would be quite a deal.....basically, if I get a drink at the bar, can I go back and get another one 5 minutes later.....I know pool waiters are always cool, maybe if I take care of him/her they will take care of us......thoughts??

3 hours ago, mike60707 said:

Hey, happy Friday....have an extremely ignorant question for you...lol...we cruise a lot...platinum on carnival, diamond plus royal caribbean......going with another couple in a couple weeks on a 3 day carnival cruise.....IF we dedide to get the drink package, (here goes)...can you get two drinks at a time? (if you get my drift)....share with other couple .....or if you get a bucket of beer, does each beer in the bucket go towards your max for the day?  Not that we're going to drink a lot, but we have quite a bit of OBC and drink package would be quite a deal.....basically, if I get a drink at the bar, can I go back and get another one 5 minutes later.....I know pool waiters are always cool, maybe if I take care of him/her they will take care of us......thoughts??

You can only get one drink at a time and then a 5-minute timer goes off before you can get another.

On 6/20/2022 at 5:01 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

You do realize that they only pay about $3-$4 tops for a bottle of liquor? The profit is already there. They are just taking advantage of captive audience. Prices are only increasing because CCL as a publicly traded company needs to increase revenue, increase profits, and make money for the shareholders. Nothing and I mean nothing else matters to them. Anything they say publicly is simply lip-service.

You just keep telling yourself that the scumbags stealing $50 a day in sodas, coffees and milkshakes for their kids have nothing to do with rising prices.

10 hours ago, mike60707 said:

Hey, happy Friday....have an extremely ignorant question for you...lol...we cruise a lot...platinum on carnival, diamond plus royal caribbean......going with another couple in a couple weeks on a 3 day carnival cruise.....IF we dedide to get the drink package, (here goes)...can you get two drinks at a time? (if you get my drift)....share with other couple .

I get your drift Mike, you want to share your Cheers package with the other couple and attempt to get two drinks at a time.  The only way to get two at a time is one for yourself and another for your wife.

Here's a suggestion for you.  Stick with RCI and enjoy your five free drinks per day.

• Like 1