NCL Booking Airfare to Europe

jkbec101

I might be the only one, but I would prefer that once I have made my final payment, that NCL would go ahead and book my airfare, at the 120 day mark.  When they wait until 30ish days, they not only limit our ability to select seats, but also upgrade and if there is an issue with the itinerary (i.e. too short of a connection), there is little time to correct it and find seats on the new flights.  

Not to mention that even at group rates or whatever discount NCL gets from the airlines, they are more than likely spending far more then they have to if they had just booked them sooner.  I get it that NCL's air department is short staffed and there are issues with the airlines, but all they had to do was move up the deadlines and just started sooner.  If you have to book say 1,500 people on the Epic in September it is far easier to book them starting in May and use June, July and August to get through the crush, than it would be to book them all in August.  Some people are being routed through Morocco to Spain.  Plus the majority of US based carrier flights are filling up or have very limited seats.  

This is just my two cents as someone who is cruising in September and wished I had my flight information now.

I get it. And tonight when I booked our Jade cruise for September 2023, I had them leave the BOGO air promo off. As enticing as that promo is, I want control over choosing my flights... choosing the departure times, routing, layover cities and number of stops. The BOGO price of the flights for my sailing was $1450 for two people, round trip CLT-ATH. I may or may not be able to book something for that price when I do book my flights, but for me it will be worth paying extra to have a say in the flights AND book them months earlier than they would..

Edited by NCMtnBoys
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NCMtnBoys said:

I get it. And tonight when I booked our Jade cruise for September 2023, I had them leave the BOGO air promo off. As enticing as that promo is, I want control over choosing my flights... choosing the departure times, routing, layover cities and number of stops. The BOGO price of the flights for my sailing was $1450 for two people, round trip CLT-ATH. I may or may not be able to book something for that price when I do book my flights, but for me it will be worth paying extra to have a say in the flights AND book them months earlier than they would..

SAME - I would be hard pressed to give up choosing my flights.  It is not worth the stress and on long international flights the ability to choose where you want to sit is absolutely crucial "to me".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

I might be the only one, but I would prefer that once I have made my final payment, that NCL would go ahead and book my airfare, at the 120 day mark.  When they wait until 30ish days, they not only limit our ability to select seats, but also upgrade and if there is an issue with the itinerary (i.e. too short of a connection), there is little time to correct it and find seats on the new flights.  

Not to mention that even at group rates or whatever discount NCL gets from the airlines, they are more than likely spending far more then they have to if they had just booked them sooner.  I get it that NCL's air department is short staffed and there are issues with the airlines, but all they had to do was move up the deadlines and just started sooner.  If you have to book say 1,500 people on the Epic in September it is far easier to book them starting in May and use June, July and August to get through the crush, than it would be to book them all in August.  Some people are being routed through Morocco to Spain.  Plus the majority of US based carrier flights are filling up or have very limited seats.  

This is just my two cents as someone who is cruising in September and wished I had my flight information now.

I agree.  We booked over a year ago and now at 30 days out we still are waiting for our flights.  Second guessing our decision to let NCL handle the flights.  

11 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

Not to mention that even at group rates or whatever discount NCL gets from the airlines, they are more than likely spending far more then they have to if they had just booked them sooner.  I get it that NCL's air department is short staffed and there are issues with the airlines, but all they had to do was move up the deadlines and just started sooner.

I don't think this is how it works. NCL doesn't wait until 30 days before the flight and then start poking around on Expedia to find flights at whatever prices the airlines are then publishing.

NCL will have contracted rates already locked in for moving however many units in each direction on each relevant date. The airlines don't have to reserve specific space on specific flights at that stage, but just need to keep enough capacity in the network to cover the contract. Closer to the date of travel, the airlines will have a better idea of which specific flights/routings are under profile, and will then allocate that cheaper space to NCL's contract. That's when you will get told which dregs you are being given.

If you want earlier certainty and earlier control, you are better off doing it yourself. You probably don't have the purchasing clout to get the a rate that's similar to NCL's contracted rate, but there are always pros and cons to each alternative.

The late great greatam, who was in a related business, posted this on the Cruise Air forum some time ago, which has some more technical detail about deviation:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MochaChip23 said:

I agree.  We booked over a year ago and now at 30 days out we still are waiting for our flights.  Second guessing our decision to let NCL handle the flights.  

I think we may be on the same cruise. We are flying out three days early, so we are at the 27 day mark. I religiously check my email and app for updates because this is causing me a lot of anxiety. I’m flying with my kids and am getting concerned there won’t be seats together. I can’t book our tests either because I have no clue when we are leaving. As someone who hates uncertainty, I made a big mistake not booking myself. 

• Like 1

Escape from Rome?   We’re also hoping for our family of 4 to sit together on the flights.  We live near a major airport so hoping this works out okay when we finally do get the schedule.  At least some good news today that the US is dropping test requirement for return home this weekend!

BTW they count from the cruise departure date….this is what they told me when I said we were leaving a couple days earlier.

Edited by MochaChip23

What is the latest you can book & get the airfare deal? I'm looking at a Sept 5 cruise out of London & am researching my own air. Found one at only $200 or so over the price they're charging & I have control. Also, when is final payment nowadays? I believe I may be past that already for September?

Edited by victory2020

32 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

What is the latest you can book & get the airfare deal? I'm looking at a Sept 5 cruise out of London & am researching my own air. Found one at only $200 or so over the price they're charging & I have control. Also, when is final payment nowadays? I believe I may be past that already for September?

It varies but is currently 75 days according to the promo terms & conditions, although they can withdraw it at any time.  Used to be 90, sometimes they do 60 days for specific cruises.

Final payment is 120 days.

51 minutes ago, julig22 said:

It varies but is currently 75 days according to the promo terms & conditions, although they can withdraw it at any time.  Used to be 90, sometimes they do 60 days for specific cruises.

Final payment is 120 days.

Thanks! Gives me a few days wiggle room

On 6/10/2022 at 10:54 PM, MochaChip23 said:

Escape from Rome?   We’re also hoping for our family of 4 to sit together on the flights.  We live near a major airport so hoping this works out okay when we finally do get the schedule.  At least some good news today that the US is dropping test requirement for return home this weekend!

BTW they count from the cruise departure date….this is what they told me when I said we were leaving a couple days earlier.

We are on the Jade from Athens. Our sail dates might be the same though. We are 28 days out now from the cruise, 25 from the flight. Fingers crossed we hear something by tomorrow!