Favorite/Least favorite WJ buffet items?

1 minute ago, BND said:

You're the first person I've ever seen say that the biscuits and gravy are good.  They are nothing like homemade buttermilk biscuits (I'm from TX btw) and the gravy just doesn't do it.

I mean I am not a picky eater.  I know they are making it for a ton of people so the quality won't be like a restaurant, but hey I didn't have to cook them or clean up after so I will take them!!!

2 minutes ago, DustFSU said:

I mean I am not a picky eater.  I know they are making it for a ton of people so the quality won't be like a restaurant, but hey I didn't have to cook them or clean up after so I will take them!!!

Biscuits and gravy is only appropriate around 2am when bars close. When sober, it's nasty 🤣🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

I concur. I also have a talent for creating a stir fry when they do pasta night😁

I believe I've read of this talent before.

I asked the guy on Harmony last week to make me a spicy sauce. The way he responded with "ooooh, you like spicy?" kinda scared me, lol, but it was delicious and not crazy hot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

I believe I've read of this talent before.

I asked the guy on Harmony last week to make me a spicy sauce. The way he responded with "ooooh, you like spicy?" kinda scared me, lol, but it was delicious and not crazy hot.

Hardest item to find is ginger. Laura sometimes brings a tube and keeps in the fridge. I like foraging. Adds excitement 😆 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

He ate everything on the plate and then pulled a ziplock bag out of his backpack, stuffed it full of the boiled shrimp and put it in the backpack. Then left. 

Other than the doggy bag, I approve!  Shrimp is delicious and also more expensive than many other foods at the buffet.  At nice buffets, I often go through plates and plates of crab legs.

13 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Just curious, are you new to Royal. This seems to be about your 10th thread as you get close to your sailing?

Yep.  And cruising generally.  My group is actually all new, and everyone has different questions, hence the quantity.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Nice to know, since I also love pasta.  I want something so spicy it will rip out my GI tract, but short of ghost peppers, that is hard to come by.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, baelor said:

Nice to know, since I also love pasta.  I want something so spicy it will rip out my GI tract, but short of ghost peppers, that is hard to come by.

Bring some

The way it works is you put together a plate of ingredients, and hand it to the cook. And if you don't see what you want, walk back to salad area and find what yiu want. Heck, you can even ask one of the staff to see if they have it.

But please don't ask the cook. Ruins the flow of the line.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Hardest item to find is ginger. Laura sometimes brings a tube and keeps in the fridge. I like foraging. Adds excitement 😆 

We got the idea from someone else who had been on Harmony just before us, but closest thing to foraging we did was bring bananas from WJ to the suite deck bartender for him to add to drinks.

• Like 2

Worst pasta sauce without any herbs or flavor. Too much Indian food with spicy flavor designed to work on the gut at an inopportune moment.  Enjoyed the congee at breakfast, but it could have had stronger chicken flavor.  A nice alternative to eggs and bacon.

I was on Serenade on a Baltic cruise before the pandemic, and every other morning, they had uttapam (a variety of dosa - kind of like a crepe). A large number of the guests on that voyage were Indian (if memory serves, I think the cruise director said it was something like 700), so there were even more Indian options than normal. The uttapam were amazing - I was said that neither of the US based sailings I went on had them.

• Like 1

Just got back from B2B on Allure. Great Buffet even with the large number of cruisers. I really liked the waffle station for breakfast with fresh fruit, the potato salad  as a side with beef, chicken or burgers for lunch. There was a lot of good variety on this buffet. Love Royal

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Favorite: Curries, Asian dishes and there is something about the mashed potatoes of the WJ

Least Favorite: Fast food items such as burgers, hot dogs and overcooked meat and fish

Not sure what they do/add to mashed potatoes but, in all likelihood, they’re instant. Same with scrambled eggs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ky Bill said:

I know this is going to sound strange but I love the corned beef hash at breakfast.  Second would be the Mongolian grill.

Bill

wow I was going to post stay away from the corned beef hash.  I've never seen it properly cooked on a cruise ship.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baelor said:

What do you generally view as spicy?  For example, is Sriracha spicy for you?  Habaneros?  Jalapenos?

I find the curries/Indian food has the right amount of spice to make it interesting.   I enjoy all the Indian offerings.  On the Oasis they have homemade Naan,  which was yummy.  IMHO the Oasis has the best buffet in the fleet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

I always look forward to the Paella on the first day😁

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Me too... but why is it always the first day???

Honey stung chicken used to be the star of day 1

• Like 4