UK folk - what insurance policy did you buy?

amurray88

Hi all, I’m at the dreaded stage of looking at travel insurance on comparethemarket etc for my upcoming MSC cruise.

Just wondering 2 things:

1. What website did you use?
2. What provider and policy name (silver, gold type title) did you buy?

thanks!

We used stayshore. Selected the include cruise travel and then I chose to add on the cruise plus cover. You select you own levels of cover for cancellation and baggage etc, which determined the price. 

We used to be with Cover For You but this was half the price. Although I did get a 20% discount from Tim & Andy the MSC FB fellows.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Ours is with bank account, we haven't bought insurance for 1 trip for years the annual policies are cheaper

Travel Insurance that comes with some bank accounts covers families - such as the travel pack with Barclays. Any pre-existing health/medical conditions have also got to be disclosed at the time of adding the pack to your packaged current account.

I think sometimes the Cruise option has to be added on to the standard insurance that comes with bank accounts. If my memory serves me right this may be the case with Nationwide but Barclays has cruise cover as standard. Please check with the insurance company or bank to be absolutely sure.

Edited by Raj.K

We 

30 minutes ago, Raj.K said:

Travel Insurance that comes with some bank accounts covers families - such as the travel pack with Barclays. Any pre-existing health/medical conditions have also got to be disclosed at the time of adding the pack to your packaged current account.

I think sometimes the Cruise option has to be added on to the standard insurance that comes with bank accounts. If my memory serves me right this may be the case with Nationwide but Barclays has cruise cover as standard. Please check with the insurance company or bank to be absolutely sure.

We are covered for Covid on our Nationwide Plus ac

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

We used stayshore. Selected the include cruise travel and then I chose to add on the cruise plus cover. You select you own levels of cover for cancellation and baggage etc, which determined the price. 

We used to be with Cover For You but this was half the price. Although I did get a 20% discount from Tim & Andy the MSC FB fellows.

Same, and cruised 3 times since purchasing our annual policy.

All on MSC, no hassle at all. The Staysure product covers Covid-19 so all they need is the evidence within the policy that you are covered. They do not read through all of the policy, if they did then the embarkation process would take a few days rather than a few hours.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hamrag said:

All on MSC, no hassle at all. The Staysure product covers Covid-19 so all they need is the evidence within the policy that you are covered. They do not read through all of the policy, if they did then the embarkation process would take a few days rather than a few hours.

I did think that - just didn't know quite how stringently they read it. 

23 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

I did think that - just didn't know quite how stringently they read it. 

What I take is the policy document page, showing names covered and policy number etc. the page with everything covered and the maximum amount covered for each, and also any further references to Covid-19. From memory, that's 4 pages in all but they don't read it....I generally use a highlighter across the Covid-19 references and emergency cover amount.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hamrag said:

What I take is the policy document page, showing names covered and policy number etc. the page with everything covered and the maximum amount covered for each, and also any further references to Covid-19. From memory, that's 4 pages in all but they don't read it....I generally use a highlighter across the Covid-19 references and emergency cover amount.

Thanks for all your help! I'm sorry to be a pest (no worries if you don't have time to reply) but where did you find out the emergency cover amounts required by MSC? I can't seem to see a figure that has to be covered. Thank you!

11 hours ago, amurray88 said:

Thanks for all your help! I'm sorry to be a pest (no worries if you don't have time to reply) but where did you find out the emergency cover amounts required by MSC? I can't seem to see a figure that has to be covered. Thank you!

I'm pretty sure that last year they specified, if you look through old threads on here you will probably find it. This year don't think they mention the amounts, when we embarked Virtuosa this year they really only glanced at the policy (we also highlighted the covid bit) whereas last year they read it more throughly. As long as you have cover I wouldn't worry about it too much.

12 hours ago, amurray88 said:

There is no specified amount, but emergency cover is generally up to a couple of million! This, from the UK website:

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/manage-booking/before-you-go/covid-protection-plan

14 hours ago, amurray88 said:

It has to cover if you or family member need medical helicopter evacuation and or being flown home in a medijet plane. This happened to a friend on holiday in Barbados, she was transferred to Florida hospital for 8 weeks and then medijet home total cost just under £500,000 was covered by insurance company/ 

Edited by emmas gran

On 6/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, Raj.K said:

Did you use the Barclays Bank one for a cruise with MSC? If so do you mind telling me what you took as proof? Thank you 

8 hours ago, johnnylincoln said:

Did you use the Barclays Bank one for a cruise with MSC? If so do you mind telling me what you took as proof? Thank you 

We are looking forward to our cruise. I requested the documentation from Barclays (via the mobile app). They gave me the policy number to provide the cruise line. They also gave me a link to request the paperwork directly via a secure link. I was sent the policy document and a letter from Barclays. I am taking these with me to the cruise terminal.

They also confirmed via the Mobile App (Chat) that we are covered for covid related cover for cruise.

My travel agent requested for the Policy No, 24hr emergency number for the Insurance and who the insurance was with at the time of sending me the cruise tickets. As you may know, the Barclays Insurance is provided by Aviva so I mentioned "Barclays (Aviva)". 

I hope the above helps. If I encounter any problems I will let you know within the next week or so. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2022 at 8:22 PM, Raj.K said:

We are looking forward to our cruise. I requested the documentation from Barclays (via the mobile app). They gave me the policy number to provide the cruise line. They also gave me a link to request the paperwork directly via a secure link. I was sent the policy document and a letter from Barclays. I am taking these with me to the cruise terminal.

They also confirmed via the Mobile App (Chat) that we are covered for covid related cover for cruise.

My travel agent requested for the Policy No, 24hr emergency number for the Insurance and who the insurance was with at the time of sending me the cruise tickets. As you may know, the Barclays Insurance is provided by Aviva so I mentioned "Barclays (Aviva)". 

I hope the above helps. If I encounter any problems I will let you know within the next week or so. 

Thank you. I've got the letter from them with the details of who is covered plus the Covid information. Hopefully that is sufficient. 

We sail on the 25th June so I'll update if we get on successfully with it 😂