Would excursions make sense for us?

baelor

We will be on the Symphony in mid-August, coming into Philipsburg.

I have a group of four (25-35) friends in good physical condition.  This is our first cruise.  We are currently not signed up for any excursions and are wondering whether it makes sense for us to look into any and what we should consider.  Some information:

• Our group has traveled extensively and lived on several different continents.  We are very interested in history and enjoy walking tours where we get lectured nonstop for hours about the detailed history of the area (dates, names, etc.).
  • We are perfectly fine walking/hiking for miles if there are awesome views or walking is required to get to a site of historical interest.
  • We have zero interest in shopping.
  • We have zero interest in anything touristy or kitschy.
  • We have zero interest in any food/drink if it is not purely and authentically local in nature/character.
  • We do not have any particular interest in physical activities that take place on water (RhinoRiders, etc.).  Scuba/snorkeling would be fine if there is truly awesome stuff to see.
  • We are fine just walking around the port for a bit and then going to a beach or back onto the ship. 

In other words, we have no interest in doing an excursion for its own sake, only if there are cool historical or cultural things to see.

Anyway, thanks for any tips/insight!

17 hours ago, baelor said:

We will be on the Symphony in mid-August, coming into Philipsburg.

I have a group of four (25-35) friends in good physical condition.  This is our first cruise.  We are currently not signed up for any excursions and are wondering whether it makes sense for us to look into any and what we should consider.  Some information:

• Our group has traveled extensively and lived on several different continents.  We are very interested in history and enjoy walking tours where we get lectured nonstop for hours about the detailed history of the area (dates, names, etc.).
  • We are perfectly fine walking/hiking for miles if there are awesome views or walking is required to get to a site of historical interest.
  • We have zero interest in shopping.
  • We have zero interest in anything touristy or kitschy.
  • We have zero interest in any food/drink if it is not purely and authentically local in nature/character.
  • We do not have any particular interest in physical activities that take place on water (RhinoRiders, etc.).  Scuba/snorkeling would be fine if there is truly awesome stuff to see.
  • We are fine just walking around the port for a bit and then going to a beach or back onto the ship. 

In other words, we have no interest in doing an excursion for its own sake, only if there are cool historical or cultural things to see.

Anyway, thanks for any tips/insight!

Understand the specific requirements.

Many, and do mean many, yeArs ago our group, not as large as yours, took an educational history tour of StM with no tourist sites.  Unfortunately, unable to remember the operator, but contact the tourist board, detail one’s requirements and they will put wheels in motion.

Contact us

Krippa Commercial Building
6 Juancho Yrausquin Boulevard
Philipsburg, St.Maarten

Phone: +1721-549-0200 / +1721-542-2337
Fax: +1721-542-2734

E-mail: info@vacationstmaarten.com

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, baelor said:

Thanks!  Looks great.  Out of my group's price range, but I will probably use them whenever I am next there.

Just out of interest, what is the per pax budget per port on a cruise to the Caribbean?

9 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Just out of interest, what is the per pax budget per port on a cruise to the Caribbean?

For my party, around $0-5.  They have basically no desire to spend money beyond what they are paying for the cruise.

1 hour ago, baelor said:

For my party, around $0-5.  They have basically no desire to spend money beyond what they are paying for the cruise.

“Scuba/snorkeling would be fine if there is truly awesome stuff to see”

Think this experience alone would be well outside the required maximum price point of $5 pp

But, do wish you luck in finding a great tour within very a tight budget.

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

“Scuba/snorkeling would be fine if there is truly awesome stuff to see”

Think this experience alone would be well outside the required maximum price point of $5

pp

The idea would be that we would bring our own snorkeling equipment

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

But, do wish you luck in finding a great tour within very a tight budget.

Thanks.  I think we are fine mainly staying on the boat, so if there are not free museums/historical sites in the area, we may disembark for just a bit before getting back on.