Carnival tips too high

timbom

3 minutes ago, purpleally said:

First cruise was on Royal, I picked up a bottle of water from a tub as I disembarked, no one even handed it to me.  Charged 18% tip. BS

They see it as the service provided was the fact someone had to prepare that tub of iced water/drinks; someone had to setup/teardown the drink station.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since day one, we’ve always removed the auto grats completely and tip at discretion for service above and beyond. We will continue doing so for as long as we cruise. 

It’s the job of the cruise line to adequately compensate their employees. I refuse to participate in their silly shell game. 

Edited by Bgwest
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Since day one, we’ve always removed the auto grats completely and tip at discretion for service above and beyond. We will continue doing so for as long as we cruise. 

It’s the job of the cruise line to adequately compensate their employees. I refuse to participate in their silly shell game. 

Your cruise fare pays all the salaries for the "beards" why don't you pull back some of that. Also, the crew knows when they see your name, the "notippers" list isn't confidential.  

• Like 2

On 6/12/2022 at 12:11 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

We do exactly the same. I have heard it is not a good idea to do this. No matter. We do it. it is the way it was done many years ago and we liked it that way.

i use to do it that way long ago but then i realized the buffet ppl and pool deck ect were not getting anything from me. so especially after covid an loss of money these hard working ppl deserve it. i give both now. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

i use to do it that way long ago but then i realized the buffet ppl and pool deck ect were not getting anything from me. so especially after covid an loss of money these hard working ppl deserve it. i give both now. 

If observant, you might notice the same people working multiple shifts in different venues.

With Anytime Dining it is even more important that you don’t remove tips. I always tip extra to my cabin attendant and when I have had the same wait staff.  Sure, I could opt out and there’s nothing they could do about it.  I would know though.  If you can afford to cruise that $ will be much more meaningful to them than you.  As far as the idea that “how do we know they get any of the $,” that  sounds like someone who is looking to rationalize cheapness!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ellaleah said:

With Anytime Dining it is even more important that you don’t remove tips. I always tip extra to my cabin attendant and when I have had the same wait staff.  Sure, I could opt out and there’s nothing they could do about it.  I would know though.  If you can afford to cruise that $ will be much more meaningful to them than you.  As far as the idea that “how do we know they get any of the $,” that  sounds like someone who is looking to rationalize cheapness!

I just consider it part of my vacation expense... like tipping the cruise port baggage handlers, and those on my excursions.. Keep everyone happy, and its a happy vacation all the way around from everyone

• Like 4

Let me repeat for those all puffed up about businesses paying employees 

You used the service then you pay.   Businesses provide a service.   The customer pays for that service - lock, stock and barrel.  There is no part of a business that is not passed on to the customer, not one single dime, paper clip, tax or regulation. It is all paid by the customer after all they are ones who derive the benefit.  Any business executive that tells you otherwise is either lying or stupid 

My wife told our room Steward thank you for the hard work you are doing. His response was, thank you for cruising and giving me a job. Wow, let's reward him by taking money out of his pocket. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

There is no specific scenario that makes tipping more important. It can be found on the website where the wages go to. Dining team is your dining team. Whether they serve you in the dining room, by the pool, or at the buffet. You are eating food served by them. Perhaps your point was more personalized MDR service can result in more cash tips. That is a drop in the bucket. 

In the days if traditional dining only, I would tip cash on the last night.  That is what makes leaving your tips in place even more important now as you don’t have the same servers nightly.

18 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

Some people appreciate fast service, smiling face, a nice "hi, how are you today". Some know that this guy has been working since 7am and will be working the majority of the day so that I can stuff my face with burgers and get sloshed on long island ice teas and have a clean bathroom and bed to crash on at the end of the day.

Tipping is personal. That's really all there is to it.

^^^^ THIS  ^^^^

Either you can see the world through another's perspective or you can't / won't.

• Like 1