LAX to Port of LA - San Pedro?

phoenix1181

Cruising solo on NCL Bliss (December) and trying to figure out my best option to get to the port from LAX.  I'm less concerned with safety that cost.  I keep checking the Roll Call for my cruise hoping someone will be arriving on the same flight or around the same time but there's almost no activity there 😞

Are there shuttles available?

Any information, or assistance, will be greatly appreciated. 

On 6/12/2022 at 12:42 PM, phoenix1181 said:

trying to figure out my best option to get to the port from LAX.  I'm less concerned with safety than cost.

Best option is Uber or Lyft, cheapest is public transportation, C Line Light Rail to Silverline Bus.

https://goo.gl/maps/UH44Em6b1D7q9nZt5

On 6/13/2022 at 7:52 PM, scottca075 said:

...cheapest is public transportation...

Actually, "cheapest" is WALKING.  Of course, depending on your speed and stamina, it could take anywhere from 7 hours to a couple of days!  But, it IS as cheap as it gets!

Seriously, I would never recommend public transportation as "best".  Some things are well worth paying for.

From LAX, I would take Uber--in some form.  Taking Uber X--the most reasonable form of individual transportation--you need to take a short shuttle ride from the terminal (unless you are right next door to the Uber/Lyft/taxi lot in Terminal 1 or maybe Terminal 2) to the lot...and get your Uber from there.  It's really much easier than it sounds...and very safe.  You get service from there directly to the ship.  If you want more convenience, Uber Black will pick you up right at the terminal--for a higher price, of course.

If you've never used Uber before, note that it is easy...and very safe.  You register ahead of time, inputting your credit card info...so, when you take the ride, you don't even have to pull out your wallet.  When you call for the ride (done through the app), they give you the driver's name, license plate number, type and color of car and an app that lets you track the driver's location.  You will then recognize the car and driver when he/she pulls up to pick you up.   

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 12:42 PM, phoenix1181 said:

Cruising solo on NCL Bliss (December) and trying to figure out my best option to get to the port from LAX.  I'm less concerned with safety that cost.  I keep checking the Roll Call for my cruise hoping someone will be arriving on the same flight or around the same time but there's almost no activity there 😞

Are there shuttles available?

Any information, or assistance, will be greatly appreciated. 

NCL and other cruise lines do offer shuttle service from LAX to the ship, and from the ship back to LAX.

On the one hand, this is an inexpensive option for a solo (I think it was $25 the last time I used it). On the other hand... ugh. You'll locate the NCL rep at baggage claim, although it might be in a different terminal than where you landed. Then you'll wait, possibly be herded to yet another area, and finally loaded onto a bus for transport. 

I tried it once. Called a Lyft on the next trip. However, I don't mind taking the ship shuttle from port back to the airport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sellwingri said:

I’m not an Uber or Lyft fan.  Should I take a cab from the ship to LAX or shop for a private car service?  What’s an approximate cost and can we easily make an 11:30 am flight on a Friday?

If you don't like Uber or Lyft, just engage a cab. If you walk off the ship, 11:30AM is okay. Personally I'd never schedule LAX before noon, but that s me. Did you check LGB flights in and out? It is a much easy airport to deal with.

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If you don't like Uber or Lyft, just engage a cab. If you walk off the ship, 11:30AM is okay. Personally I'd never schedule LAX before noon, but that s me. Did you check LGB flights in and out? It is a much easy airport to deal with.

No non stop options to Chicago.  I can book 1:30pm but was hoping 11:30 was doable.  

3 hours ago, sellwingri said:

No non stop options to Chicago.  I can book 1:30pm but was hoping 11:30 was doable.  

It's doable.   Not ideal, but doable...

Things can happen--delays, traffic, etc...which is why it's better to be safer...

But assuming you get off early and have transportation arranged, you should be okay.

To keep things safer:

1)  Make sure the ship gives you an earlier time slot.  Self-disembark if possible, dragging your own luggage.

2)  Do the online check-in if available

3) Pre-arrange your ground transportation.

4)  If you have some sort of TSA pre-clearance, that helps as well.

Say, you are off the ship by 8:00 am, past customs et al by 8:30...With even the worst traffic, the 20 mile ride to LAX is still usually no more than an hour...So, you are there by 9:30.  That gives you two hours to get through check-in, baggage check, security and the walk to the gate.  Should easily be enough.  Even a little delay won't kill you...Noon is recommended, but 11:30 is very much workable...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 8:36 PM, Bruin Steve said:

It's doable.   Not ideal, but doable...

Things can happen--delays, traffic, etc...which is why it's better to be safer...

But assuming you get off early and have transportation arranged, you should be okay.

To keep things safer:

1)  Make sure the ship gives you an earlier time slot.  Self-disembark if possible, dragging your own luggage.

2)  Do the online check-in if available

3) Pre-arrange your ground transportation.

4)  If you have some sort of TSA pre-clearance, that helps as well.

Say, you are off the ship by 8:00 am, past customs et al by 8:30...With even the worst traffic, the 20 mile ride to LAX is still usually no more than an hour...So, you are there by 9:30.  That gives you two hours to get through check-in, baggage check, security and the walk to the gate.  Should easily be enough.  Even a little delay won't kill you...Noon is recommended, but 11:30 is very much workable...

Sounds like I would be ok with a 12:30 p.m on a Saturday then?

Hi there.  I traveled solo on the Bliss in March.  I was initially scheduled to fly in the day of the cruise then in a panic changed my flight to the day before.

I chose to stay at a hotel near the airport and selected Hilton LA airport.  There is a continuous  shuttle that runs from the airport to the Hilton and back.  It’s free but most people tipped.

I then booked round trip on the NCL shuttle that goes from the airport to San Pedro pier the morning of the cruise and returns from the pier to the airport when the cruise ends.  All shuttles were fabulous and easy.  I took the hotel shuttle back to the airport and immediately found the NCL people with their signs and clipboards.

This was my first time doing something like this solo and now that I’ve done it once I’m ready and confident to do so again.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise experience!

9 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi there.  I traveled solo on the Bliss in March.  I was initially scheduled to fly in the day of the cruise then in a panic changed my flight to the day before.

I chose to stay at a hotel near the airport and selected Hilton LA airport.  There is a continuous  shuttle that runs from the airport to the Hilton and back.  It’s free but most people tipped.

I then booked round trip on the NCL shuttle that goes from the airport to San Pedro pier the morning of the cruise and returns from the pier to the airport when the cruise ends.  All shuttles were fabulous and easy.  I took the hotel shuttle back to the airport and immediately found the NCL people with their signs and clipboards.

This was my first time doing something like this solo and now that I’ve done it once I’m ready and confident to do so again.

This is a great idea that has been posted about in the past. 

I assume the shuttle dropped you off on the upper departure level and then you went down to luggage arrival and found the cruiseline staff. Sounds pretty easy.

Any trouble booking the transfers when putting in your day before flight arrival info?

Considering doing this for our Oct San Pedro cruise which is one way but we won't be arriving at LAX from a flight but from a flyaway bus shuttle arrival morning of cruise.

Yes, just took the escalator down to the baggage claim area where the NCL staff were immediately seen.  It was super easy.

I switched my flight after I had booked the NCL shuttle so I phoned NCL to give them my new flight information and to tell them I would meet the representatives at 10:00am at the airport.

I also want to add that the NCL representatives who met passengers in the airport were some of the nicest, kindest people ever.  So impressed with them!!  They made sure elderly people had seats, they were looking out for passengers, they had organized lists and it was such a pleasant experience.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 4:05 AM, YVRteacher said:

I am thinking of booking a hotel near LAX airport, like you maybe the Hilton.

I don’t want to get off plane, drag luggage to another place get on shuttle to pick up a hotel shuttle.  

Where did you pick up their Hilton shuttle - curbside or somewhere?

Did you have to call the Hilton to have them sent a shuttle?

14 hours ago, phabric said:

I am thinking of booking a hotel near LAX airport, like you maybe the Hilton. I don’t want to get off plane, drag luggage to another place get on shuttle to pick up a hotel shuttle.  Where did you pick up their Hilton shuttle - curbside or somewhere? Did you have to call the Hilton to have them sent a shuttle?

LAX has three curbsides. The terminals have upper and lower roads. The upper road has one curbside and it is for drop offs. The lower levels has two curbs and two roads, an inner ring and an outer ring. A series of islands separate the two roads. You can see the set-up in the map below.

https://goo.gl/maps/e2jpwtfnSpnsMYfi6

The islands are color coded, and it is where hotel, rental car and remote parking lots pick up passengers. So you collect your bags, cross the inner road to the correct island and get your shuttle. No need to call for the major hotels, they are always circulating.

Our current favorite hotel at LAX is the combined Hilton Homewood Suites, H2 hotel and the LAX Marriott after that.