Favorite restaurants and Alaska Native art stores

dcbiker97

It’s been over 15 years since we’ve cruised to Alaska and I don’t remember anyplace we ate or shopped. We are going to Ketchikan, Skagway, and Juneau next week. I’d love to hear what your favorite restaurants are and also some stores to buy authentic Alaska native merchandise, not the cheap knockoff stuff. We’ve got some crafts we bought last trip with and would like to add a few more. 

Edited by dcbiker97

• dcbiker97 changed the title to Favorite restaurants and Alaska Native art stores

If you are looking for authentic Native Alaska items, look for the Silver Hand logo. The Silver Hand program helps Alaska Native artists promote their work in the marketplace and enables consumers to identify and purchase authentic Alaska Native art. The seal indicates that the artwork on which it appears is created by hand in Alaska by an individual Alaska Native artist. Only original contemporary and traditional Alaska Native artwork, not reproductions or manufactured work, may be identified and marketed with the Silver Hand seal. The Silver Hand image is protected under Alaska trademark statute and regulation and may only be used by individuals or organizations with Alaska State Council on the Arts’ explicit written permission.

https://arts.alaska.gov/silverhand

logo_silverhand2.jpg

Edited by AKStafford
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In Juneau, the Alaska State Museum does have a nice gift shop and I would think they would sell the Silver Hand tagged items.  

As for a restaurant, Alaska Fish & Chips Company in Juneau is my favorite.  If one would walk from the cruise ship docks to the State Museum, it is between the two sites.  Very convenient as a stop either en route to or from the Museum.  Many also recommend Hanger on the Wharf which is in the same building as the restaurant I mentioned.  (I have not yet patronized Hanger on the Wharf.)  

Regarding restaurants, in Skagway we stop at the Skagway Brewing Company.  In Ketchikan we like both Annabelles and the Cape Fox Lodge restaurant.  In Juneau we like the Hanger on the Wharf and, while this opinion is not popular with some, find Tracy's Crab Shack to be over-rated.

In Juneau my favorite store is the Sealaska Heritage Institute's gift store.  I will be in Juneau next week and will be stoping there for sure.  For folks unfamiliar with the structure of our Native corporations just google Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.

Thank you for starting this thread. We have sailed Alaska 4 times, not really going into any restaurants, but focusing on our excursions.

We will be on a lovely 12 night cruise which will also include Sitka, Icy Strait and Prince Rupert Island.

On another thread, I was referred to The Hangar in Juneau as well. So, we will be focusing on food establishments more in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan since we have been there 4 times already.

43 minutes ago, nini said:

Thank you for starting this thread. We have sailed Alaska 4 times, not really going into any restaurants, but focusing on our excursions.

We will be on a lovely 12 night cruise which will also include Sitka, Icy Strait and Prince Rupert Island.

Worked this coast for many years, but Prince Rupert Island is a new one to me.

Are you stopping at the Port of Prince Rupert? The port of Prince Rupert is located on an island, connected to the mainland by a small bridge, but the island is called Kaien Island.

22 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Are you stopping at the Port of Prince Rupert? The port of Prince Rupert is located on an island, connected to the mainland by a small bridge, but the island is called Kaien Island.

Correct. Prince Rupert on the island of Kaien.

This is why we booked this itinerary. Three new ports, Glacier Bay, with Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier.

24 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Do you have any restaurant or tour suggestions?

1 hour ago, nini said:

Do you have any restaurant or tour suggestions?

We never went ashore in Prince Rupert, as it was a turnaround port, so I haven't done any of the local tours personally.

However, I recall hearing feedback on some of these:

• Grizzly Bear outing to a local valley (unfortunately the name of the valley escapes me)
  • Kayaking
  • Port Edward fishing village

23 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

the Sealaska Heritage Institute'

Looking at their web site, this might be of more interest to the typical cruise guest than the Alaska State Museum.  Next time in Juneau, I hope to make a visit.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Looking at their web site, this might be of more interest to the typical cruise guest than the Alaska State Museum.  Next time in Juneau, I hope to make a visit.  

The Sealaska Heritage gift store is definitely NOT typical tourist souvenirs.  A number of beautiful handmade items.  Since Nathan Jackson no longer has a gift store in Ketchikan this shop is my favorite "to go" place for Tlingit sterling silver hand carved earrings.

There is no charge to access the gift store, but the center also has a beautifully curated exhibit hall; there is a charge to visit the exhibits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woodlands Store in Ketchikan, Alaska is filled with clothing, crafts, and treats made by Alaskan artisans.  They are located at 712 Water Street, just across from Berth 3.  They come highly recommended by friends of ours who are from Alaska.  You should stop by!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 6:14 PM, nini said:

Correct. Prince Rupert on the island of Kaien.

This is why we booked this itinerary. Three new ports, Glacier Bay, with Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier.

We loved Prince Rupert. NCL used to cruise there as an alternative to Victoria. It was a quaint little fishing port when we stopped there about 14 years ago. I liked that about the town.  I walked to the Safeway up a hill to buy Canadian snacks and ginger ale. There were so many eagles waiting for Salmon fishermen too. I have seen it pop back into some of the ships as a stop.

Edited by arpie05

On 6/13/2022 at 4:00 PM, nini said:

On another thread, I was referred to The Hangar in Juneau as well. So, we will be focusing on food establishments more in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan since we have been there 4 times already.

We spent 3 days in Prince Rupert on our Alaska driving trip.  Ignoring the fact that it rained at least part of the day on every day it was a great town to visit that should be on more AK cruises.  The cruise lines could use it occasionally for the required Canada stop in place of Vancouver.

DON

10 hours ago, CherrylSalahedin said:

nini, I can advise you a great restaurant in Port of Prince Rupert. Have you ever visited the Waterfront Restaurant? It's a great one, with a terrace outside.

Thank you!

To close the loop on my travels, I stumbled upon Alaska artworks, a tiny shop in Skagway and bought a couple of locally made items.  

https://www.skagway.com/listing/alaska-artworks/28/

The Soap stone carving that I bought was actually carved across the street from the store in the park. 

Edited by dcbiker97

On 6/13/2022 at 1:36 PM, AKStafford said:

If you are looking for authentic Native Alaska items, look for the Silver Hand logo. The Silver Hand program helps Alaska Native artists promote their work in the marketplace and enables consumers to identify and purchase authentic Alaska Native art. The seal indicates that the artwork on which it appears is created by hand in Alaska by an individual Alaska Native artist. Only original contemporary and traditional Alaska Native artwork, not reproductions or manufactured work, may be identified and marketed with the Silver Hand seal. The Silver Hand image is protected under Alaska trademark statute and regulation and may only be used by individuals or organizations with Alaska State Council on the Arts’ explicit written permission.

https://arts.alaska.gov/silverhand

logo_silverhand2.jpg

It's been several years since my last cruise to Alaska.  I seem to recall that there was also a polar bear symbol that signified something (maybe local sellers?).  I just remember to be on the lookout for it.  Did I remember that correctly?