First time on a Viking river cruise

IA Hawkeye Cruisers

After going on 10 ocean cruises with Princess,  we've booked a river cruise on a Viking ship. We've heard shore excursions are included in the price but you can book others also. Who can tell us more! And any other differences between large ocean cruises vs smaller river ones,  besides less people on board.

56 minutes ago, IA Hawkeye Cruisers said:

After going on 10 ocean cruises with Princess,  we've booked a river cruise on a Viking ship. We've heard shore excursions are included in the price but you can book others also. Who can tell us more! And any other differences between large ocean cruises vs smaller river ones,  besides less people on board.

One way to look at it is that on the ocean, it's all about the amenities on the ship--on rivers, it's all about the ports.  The ship is basically your hotel/restaurant that follows you up or down the river.  Usually one dining room, everyone eats at the same time, minimal evening entertainment (we were too tired to stay up late anyway!), beer/wine included with lunch and dinner, usually no spa or pool.

You are usually off the ship by 9AM for the morning excursion, return for lunch, and then either free time back in town, or off on an optional excursion.  Back in time for dinner usually around 7PM.  Your cabin is used for sleeping or changing up--during scenic cruising (middle Rhine castle area, Wachau valley on Danube, ex.) the best views are in the two-story lounge with full windows, or up on the top deck.

From the  Viking website, but pretty much true of all river cruise lines:

Capture.JPG

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

From the  Viking website, but pretty much true of all river cruise lines:

Pretty good summary. Only one that i not true for other lines is "no children under 18". Viking and Saga (UK company specifically catering for the over 50's) are the only ones with such a policy that I know.

7 hours ago, IA Hawkeye Cruisers said:

And any other differences between large ocean cruises vs smaller river ones

For preparation for your river cruise I recommend reading the "stickies" at the top of the forum title page. Great info in there.

Have fun planning and a great cruise.

notamermaid

8 hours ago, IA Hawkeye Cruisers said:

I've been on 10 Viking River Cruises and have booked my first non-river trip, Great Lakes with Viking but now find the ship carries on all the way do Antarctica so it could be classed at an ocean cruise.

I've been reading the forums on ocean cruising and I'm disconcerted by the x-raying of bags and screening of people returning from trips. I'm used to walking off, exploring the town where we are moored and walking onto back onto Viking riverboat whenever I want with no fuss or hindrance.

I don't know w hat the rules are on Princess but I understand that many ocean cruise lines not only don't allow BYO but they even ban you from bringing alcohol on board. No problem with Viking.

There are no 'ocean days' on a river, there's always something to see on each bank as they pass close as the boat cruises. No rough waves either.....

Sign up for the included excursions as soon as you can, also any optional ones that take your fancy and suit your wallet - some of these have limited numbers.

From what I've read ocean and river cruises are very different experiences

Viking included excursions are normally a walking tour with local guides. If not docked close to town center, or attraction, there will  be buses to meet guides. Guides walk at different paces — “slow, “moderate, and “faster” - and you sign up for your mobility level or pace preference.  They all try to cover same sights if time and pace allows. 

On evening dining if you opt for the main dining room with waiters, be prepared for the European  style 2-3 hr meal, delays between courses to encourage conversation and savor the experience. A faster, more casual, option is upstairs at a buffet, usually serving same dishes. It is passenger choice - no sign up for either. Guests normally dress nicer for main dining room. (Dress, skirt, pants/top — business casual for men) 

Evening Entertainment is often a guest speaker or local singer. We have found most to be very good.

Viking’s goal on these trips is to entertain, but primarily it is to educate us about history and different cultures. Maybe all the river lines do, I don’t know, we have only taken Viking. But that aspect is why we have stayed with them. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It would help folks to answer your first question if you specify which Viking itinerary you have booked, as the shore excursion options are specific to each river port.

Thank you for mentioning that. Just "getting our feet wet" on the whole process! We're going from Vienna to Bucharest, May 28-June 13, on the Kadin. It's the Capitals of Eastern Europe trip. 

• Like 1

Definitely read the stickies at the top of the forum.  River cruising and ocean cruising are only passingly similar.   The lack of things to do on the ship can not be overstated.  That's ok, as you'll be too tired to do much after a full day of touring and a good meal anyways.

We did a similar itinerary last fall with Avalon, though started in Prague.  I'll be surprised if you have many optional "extra" tours once past Budapest.  I'd be interested to know what your extra options would be.   Mohacs is small.  Ilok is tiny.  Novi Sad was nice, and Belgrade has a lot to offer.  Bulgaria has not invested much on tourist infrastructure.

Romania was a revelation.  I REALLY liked Romania.  If you can add extra days there, I would.  Bucharest is vibrant.  We also did an extension to Transylvania, which was a highlight of our trip.

• Like 1

In Vienna I rated the optional Mozart & Strauss Concert; see this recent thread (on River Cruise Ports) about it, there are opposing views - Vienna concert? - River Cruise Ports - Cruise Critic Community

We saw the Hungarian Horseman (see below) - I see on your tour its optional from  Budapest - and I cannot remember if it was included or optional when we went from Budapest to Bucharest in 2019 but the show is amazing, and was a really good trip worth paying for.

At Vidkin, Bulgaria on your tour there's Belogradchik Rocks Hike & Fortress. We went to Belogradchik  Fortress by coach on an included excursion- its amazing but the optional tour on your cruise has a lot of "demanding" walking.

DSC01228.JPG

• Like 1

We have found the extra-add-on excursions to be very good and worth the extra fare. Take a good look at what's being offered for your itinerary and see if any of them appeal to you. The included excursions are good, but quite basic - use them to get a reasonable overview of the port you are in.  They break the passenger loads into small groups for the tours, making them very easy and comfortable. The included ear pieces and transmitters allow you to stray a bit and still hear the guide.

After our first Viking river cruise, we were so happy with the experience that we almost swore to never to take a big ship cruise again! But we do and now we appreciate the difference even more so. 

You'll find the ship life to be akin to a big house party. Naturally, in the early going, it'll be a bit awkward perhaps trying to connect or avoid others! But by the end of the cruise, you will have made new friends and the sounds of laughter and lively banter will fill the DR and Lounge! On our first (we've taken 4, and our 5th is in July - all on Viking) we met a couple from the UK and they have become almost family to us. We have visited them and they us and we always arrange to meet whenever possible. Subsequent trips have also resulted in warm friendships.

The days are usually spent touring, whether enroute or in port. The food and service are excellent. Don't miss the open deck lunches! After the day, everyone meets in the lounge pre-dinner. The crew talks about the next day, what we will be doing and interesting things to watch out for. It's a fun, congenial atmosphere. Then, everyone rushes out to the DR to get a preferred table - by mid-cruise, you may have met fellow travelers that you prefer to dine with and may have a favorite table.

After dinner there's more fun on the lounge, on some ports they will bring in local folkloric acts or the ship's pianist will play. There's trivia some nights, or just singing and dancing to the music. Not much late activities as you are generally bushed by then. If you enjoy a good cocktail and/or a variety of wine with your dinner, we think their Silver Spirits program very reasonable. Otherwise, the included wine and beer are fine.

Pro tip: Don't sweat the cabin choice. It's for sleeping and hygiene only. You will want to spend time on the top deck where you can see both sides of the river and your expensive private balcony limits your exposure to one side - and may be lashed next to another river boat while in port. May want to keep your shades drawn. We take Aquarium Class - it's the same size room without a balcony. Rooms are a bit small, but very comfortable and chicly furnished in the Scandinavian manner.  

We have found Viking to be very customer-focused. They will go out of their way to ensure your satisfaction. We've taken one of their ocean cruises as well and found that very similar to rivers albeit scaled up. 

Enjoy your cruise, Hawkeyes!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1