Ms Jo Wood

Jojogingerwood

I'm looking forward to my 1st cruise in March  next year. I have mobility issues and have booked an accessible cabin and I'll be hiring a scooter to help me get around the ship. So, that's that covered but I'm still discovering things I need to check up on. Like are all the public restrooms accessible? I'm thinking of cubicle size I would obviously be leaving the scooter outside. Once I've made my way up to the pool deck is there anywhere to leave the scooter out of the way while I swim and sunbathe? Similarly if I go up to the adults only pool I realise there will be some stairs which I will manage but again where do I park the scooter? What about restaurants and dining rooms? I know you may be thinking I'm asking stupid questions but a question is only stupid to those who already have the answer. 

I've also been wondering just how big the cabins are in feet x feet as opposed to square ft. Has anyone got any tips for me being a disabled passenger? Anything in particular to bring on board or not to bring. 

Oh yes are there any power outlets by the bed for my CPAP machine? I've been looking at travel adapters but looking at them some have ports coming out of the bottom. Now all the pictures I've seen seem to show the power outlets to be pretty close to desktops is there enough room for the cables to come out of the ports without having to damage them by bending them in half? 

OK my apologies for taking your time and asking a load of them there silly questions but if you share the answers I'll be suitably educated. 

Thanks people

Jo

I can't answer all your questions and many will need to know which ship you are sailing to help further, but I can let you know one thing:  There is plenty of room in an accessible cabin for your scooter; they are very roomy.  Also, on the pool deck there should be an out of the way area to put your scooter so that it allows other passengers to move about easily.  There are accessible bathrooms all over the ship so no worries there!  Have fun!

• Like 1

Not sure about all the MSC ships, but on the Meraviglia, there are many hand washing stations at the entrance of the buffet. You don’t have to push any bathroom doors open to wash up, and sinks seem low enough for those in scooters to navigate. I really like this encouragement to wash hands and not just use sanitizer. The crew is accustomed to handling people on scooters. Your questions aren’t silly. Don’t hesitate to ask. 
Also CPAP machines are given special consideration. For instance, you may need an extension cord, which passengers normally aren’t allowed to have, but you can. If you search with keyword CPAP, you can find more advice. 
Good luck, and I hope you have the best time ever!!

• Like 1

We traveled with a friend that uses a scooter on the Divina.

We were assigned a table near the entrance door  to the MDR.  The first night at dinner, he used only his scooter to arrive at his table, After being seated, the waiter moved his scooter to an out of the way location and brought it back to him at the end of the meal.

The second night, he also had his walker to make it from the aisle to the table. The waiter also removed his walker and the scooter to a storage location and bought them back at the end of the meal.

In the buffet, there is at least one reserved table available for those requiring an accessible location ( table is located by the entrance from the pool area).  Once you are seated , the staff will remove the scooter to the storage space and return it to you at the table when you wish to leave.

• Like 1

For getting off the ship in port, he would be directed to the gangway that was a flat surface with the least incline from ship to shore.

This was not necessarily the gangway being used by the rest of the passengers.

• Like 1

On the Seashore, interior cabin (and from pictures, it seems applies to balconies), the electrical outlet was at the desk.  I took a 3 ft extension cord that has a cube- shaped end with 3 outlets and USB ports.  The cord on my CPAP was several feet and the tubing was 6 feet.  Sailing solo, it was not in the way - I used the opposite side of the bed.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 5:45 PM, pno4te said:

I can't answer all your questions and many will need to know which ship you are sailing to help further, but I can let you know one thing:  There is plenty of room in an accessible cabin for your scooter; they are very roomy.  Also, on the pool deck there should be an out of the way area to put your scooter so that it allows other passengers to move about easily.  There are accessible bathrooms all over the ship so no worries there!  Have fun!

Thank you so much for that, it may seem trivial, however, the more information I have the better.

On 6/16/2022 at 3:31 PM, Homosassa said:

We were assigned a table near the entrance door  to the MDR.  The first night at dinner, he used only his scooter to arrive at his table, After being seated, the waiter moved his scooter to an out of the way location and brought it back to him at the end of the meal.

The second night, he also had his walker to make it from the aisle to the table. The waiter also removed his walker and the scooter to a storage location and bought them back at the end of the meal.

In the buffet, there is at least one reserved table available for those requiring an accessible location ( table is located by the entrance from the pool area).  Once you are seated , the staff will remove the scooter to the storage space and return it to you at the table when you wish to leave.

Now that's what I call service ! So it seems I have absolutely no need to worry about anything then. Thanks for that information I can relax a little and look forward to my cruise.

On 6/16/2022 at 3:31 PM, Homosassa said:

On 6/16/2022 at 3:33 PM, Homosassa said:

For getting off the ship in port, he would be directed to the gangway that was a flat surface with the least incline from ship to shore.

This was not necessarily the gangway being used by the rest of the passengers.

I was wondering about that too. Do you want to be my cruise guide? LOL