Questions for possible first time on HAL

I’ve sailed with Disney, ncl, carnival and Royal. This may be the first time we ever sail with Hal. Also better mention we’ve not sailed since 2017. I’m very scared of Covid, and yes, a cruise might be considered a Petrie dish, however I’m desperately trying to plan our 25 year wedding anniversary. We both loved cruising prior to Covid and I swore no more cruises with Covid going on. However, it’s not going away and life moves on. Here are my questions. Based on my Covid fears, IF I book on Hal westerdam for Alaska in an AFT facing verandah room…..can we order meals at restaurants and take them back to our room? I do not want to eat in any restaurants. I would prefer to eat all meals in my room.
Are masks required on board inside? 
how crowded are the shows?
how are the room sizes compared to a balcony on NCL?
how does this have it all package work? 
how does Hal compare to say NCL?
thank you so much for your help,

1 hour ago, travelexplore3 said:

I’ve sailed with Disney, ncl, carnival and Royal. This may be the first time we ever sail with Hal. Also better mention we’ve not sailed since 2017. I’m very scared of Covid, and yes, a cruise might be considered a Petrie dish, however I’m desperately trying to plan our 25 year wedding anniversary. We both loved cruising prior to Covid and I swore no more cruises with Covid going on. However, it’s not going away and life moves on. Here are my questions. Based on my Covid fears, IF I book on Hal westerdam for Alaska in an AFT facing verandah room…..can we order meals at restaurants and take them back to our room? I do not want to eat in any restaurants. I would prefer to eat all meals in my room.
Are masks required on board inside? 
how crowded are the shows?
how are the room sizes compared to a balcony on NCL?
how does this have it all package work? 
how does Hal compare to say NCL?
thank you so much for your help,

I can answer some of your questions.  You may order free Room Service 24/7 as well as regular dining room meal during the dinner hour for room delivery.  Some Specialty Restaurant food is avail on the Room Service menu (See link below).  You can take as much food as you wish from the Lido Market Buffet and consume in your room.   

Shows are not crowded.

Mask requirements come and go based on location of the cruise.

Room Service Menu for Vista Class Ships

• Thanks 2

Just now, travelexplore3 said:

Thank you so much, this is very helpful and I was a bit surprised to see all the items offered on the room service menu. Thank you for including the link! Appreciate it.

At the lower right of this post, you will see a link to all of the HAL menus for restaurants and beverages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just so you are aware, the signature beverage package (part of Have it All) does not apply to room service orders. Alternative!y, you can get a drink from a bar and take it back to your cabin.

• Thanks 1

The shows are not crowded. There were a lot of people but everyone kinda knew to space themselves out and not pack every single seats.

Between buffet and room service, you should have plenty of food available. Of course they're not going to be plated as nicely as MDR food. Maybe if you ask, they can make an exception to have MDR food delivered to your room. 

One data point: we were eating in the Pinnacle Grill and got too full for dessert so we just asked it to-go. They put them in plates with cloches and gave us the rolled napkins with utensils. We just took that to our room as if they were room service. We ate it later that night, and it was fine. Of course you can't do this with warm desserts, but for like cake and cheese plates it's perfectly viable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

As @Crew News mentions, the MDR menu is available for ordering to the room once the dining room is open for service.

Normally you can order anything off the MDR menu for dinner to be sent to your cabin.  BUT, you have to order shortly after the MDR opens.  Check with the room service operator for details.  Further, it will not arrive right away, usually not until after 6 PM?  This is because of the way the meals are preped in the kitchen.

• Like 1

I don’t think you should cruise to Alaska this July.  You said you are scared of Covid, I think you should find some more relaxing way to enjoy your anniversary. I fear you will spend your entire time nervous and anxious. You are going to be surrounded by people of a different mind and that might upset you. How about a nice condo in the mountains with a hot tub with a mountain view.  There you act like newlyweds and have complete control of your environment 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, travelexplore3 said:

This is also an option and a great idea. We are last minute planning and deciding , so I appreciate all the feedback. It will help guide us to what will be best for our anniversary. 

From someone who had been married for 42 years the 26th anniversary is just as important and as much fun as the 25th😁

• Like 2

We were to celebrate 41 years since we met, on a cruise a few weeks ago.  After following these message boards,  which at the time had a number of people giving a play by play of spending their vacation in a cruise cabin due to either having covid, or being exposed to covid, we decided to cancel our cruise and wait for the fall.  Shortly thereafter 2 sets of friends returned from cruising and tested positive as soon as they got home.  One was on a Caribbean cruise, and the other was on  a repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver.  Both were Princess cruises. 

Like you, I do not want covid.  We have too many long haul covid family members, to ever make me think it is just the flu. We enjoyed cruising in years past because we were around people and we were easily able to see many different places while on one vacation.  We carefully considered what cruising would currently be like now, and we decided to wait to cruise rather than be disappointed with the experience. And as an aside, my daughter has a friend in Alaska and she advises the covid numbers are high.

HAL is one of our favorite cruise lines as it is very low key and the ships are smaller.  We stopped cruising on NCL as we felt like we were being nickel and dimed. We occasionally cruise Carnival out of LA, when they have cheap rates and it is off season. It is a younger crowd who cruise on Carnival because it is cheap.   I haven't been ono Royal Caribbean in years as the ships are too large.  Our May cruise was to be on Celebrity---definitely more upscale and a wealthier crowd. 

The cruise lines are having a fire sale on Alaska cruises.  For someone who isn't concerned with getting Covid, it is definitely the optimum time to buy a cruise.  But, for me, I will wait a little longer, to at least when the kids are back in school. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, redbchtrvlr said:

We were to celebrate 41 years since we met, on a cruise a few weeks ago.  After following these message boards,  which at the time had a number of people giving a play by play of spending their vacation in a cruise cabin due to either having covid, or being exposed to covid, we decided to cancel our cruise and wait for the fall.  Shortly thereafter 2 sets of friends returned from cruising and tested positive as soon as they got home.  One was on a Caribbean cruise, and the other was on  a repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver.  Both were Princess cruises. 

Like you, I do not want covid.  We have too many long haul covid family members, to ever make me think it is just the flu. We enjoyed cruising in years past because we were around people and we were easily able to see many different places while on one vacation.  We carefully considered what cruising would currently be like now, and we decided to wait to cruise rather than be disappointed with the experience. And as an aside, my daughter has a friend in Alaska and she advises the covid numbers are high.

One of the biggest problems with cruise bookings is the widespread public perception that cruise ships are COVID "petri dishes".  That perception stemmed from the ships that COVID spread like wildfire on before the COVID shutdowns.  At that time, it was not known for sure how COVID spread, how to prevent its further spread, nor were vaccines available.  That's largely a very different situation now yet the "petri dish" perception continues.  Cruise lines, in partnership with CDC and other health agencies, developed detailed COVID-mitigation policies and procedures to address onboard COVID outbreaks.  Probably the biggest negative of those policies is the quarantine procedures of which it sounds like some cruise lines carry out better than others in terms of how they serve the quarantined cruisers both on the ship and after cruise in port.

Can anyone say that the cruise lines' COVID policies are less strict than other forms of travel or entertainment?  What other forms require guests to provide proof of vaccination and negative COVID tests?  The only real difference with other forms of travel is that if you catch COVID, you may end up quarantining in a hotel or at home rather than in a cruise ship cabin.  Unless a person is strictly staying at home to reduce their exposure as much as possible, that person is probably as likely, or more likely, to be exposed to COVID on a simple shopping, dining, or movie outing than if they were on a ship where everyone has to arrive COVID-tested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

One of the biggest problems with cruise bookings is the widespread public perception that cruise ships are COVID "petri dishes".  That perception stemmed from the ships that COVID spread like wildfire on before the COVID shutdowns.  At that time, it was not known for sure how COVID spread, how to prevent its further spread, nor were vaccines available.  That's largely a very different situation now yet the "petri dish" perception continues.  Cruise lines, in partnership with CDC and other health agencies, developed detailed COVID-mitigation policies and procedures to address onboard COVID outbreaks.  Probably the biggest negative of those policies is the quarantine procedures of which it sounds like some cruise lines carry out better than others in terms of how they serve the quarantined cruisers both on the ship and after cruise in port.

Can anyone say that the cruise lines' COVID policies are less strict than other forms of travel or entertainment?  What other forms require guests to provide proof of vaccination and negative COVID tests?  The only real difference with other forms of travel is that if you catch COVID, you may end up quarantining in a hotel or at home rather than in a cruise ship cabin.  Unless a person is strictly staying at home to reduce their exposure as much as possible, that person is probably as likely, or more likely, to be exposed to COVID on a simple shopping, dining, or movie outing than if they were on a ship where everyone has to arrive COVID-tested.

The rate of Covid on ships is lower than in your neighborhood but this is all about perceptions.  This person is scared and she should be aware she will be sailing with people who take a totally different view of this situation, I do.  I will comply with a business’s demands if I want to use their services but I will only just comply.  She is not going to be comfortable near me. She is going to be anxious and that won’t be a fun vacation.  Next year will be better for her 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, redbchtrvlr said:

Shortly thereafter 2 sets of friends returned from cruising and tested positive as soon as they got home.  One was on a Caribbean cruise, and the other was on  a repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver.  Both were Princess cruises. 

Princess’ covid positives seem to be high - but that could be just me.  And your friends could have gotten it in a port, on the plane, in the airport - the list is endless.

I will tell you a reverse story - my friends started cruising last Fall.  They have taken at least 4 cruises (not 7 day cruises), travelled to Las Vegas, stayed in Hawaii, etc and they have not tested positive with all of that travelling - so who knows?  I think it’s the luck of the draw and your immune system.

I myself went into our cesspool of a hospital for 6 months, tested regularly to protect my friends in my “bubble” and the my DH and the health care workers and never tested positive.

So, who knows.  And testing positive is not a big deal - except for the inconvenience of being quarantined which is silly now IMO if you are fully vaccinated (I mean boosters when I say ‘fully’).  Those fully vaccinated do not get very ill at all and only less than 1% require hospitalizations.  (And they usually have pre-existing conditions which can cause complications).

everyone has to go with their gut and their own risk tolerance I think.  I suspect a cruise ship is safer than a crowded Big Box store or a cramped puddle hopper (prop plane) but that’s JMO.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

From someone who had been married for 42 years the 26th anniversary is just as important and as much fun as the 25th😁

We planned our 25th anniversary cruise to be the Panama Canal Transit. Both of us losing our jobs, not Covid, pushed our big celebration to our 32nd anniversary! This made it even better since it was now something we could truly enjoy. In this day, every anniversary should be celebrated.  🙂 39 years for us on July 2. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The rate of Covid on ships is lower than in your neighborhood but this is all about perceptions.  This person is scared and she should be aware she will be sailing with people who take a totally different view of this situation, I do.  I will comply with a business’s demands if I want to use their services but I will only just comply.  She is not going to be comfortable near me. She is going to be anxious and that won’t be a fun vacation.  Next year will be better for her 

We all hope next year will be better in terms of COVID issues...but that's also what we said last year, and the year before.  It could be a very, very long wait for those who are waiting for COVID to go away.

It seems the more likely outcome may be that COVID-19, in more or less severe forms, is here to stay similar to the common flu or cold viruses.  The plus is that the more common COVID-19 becomes, the more likely we will build some natural immunity (plus immunity enabled by vaccines), lessening its severity.  That said, I understand why many have their reasons for choosing not to travel.  Everyone has to be comfortable with the level of risk they are willing to accept.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t think you should cruise to Alaska this July.  You said you are scared of Covid, I think you should find some more relaxing way to enjoy your anniversary. I fear you will spend your entire time nervous and anxious. You are going to be surrounded by people of a different mind and that might upset you. How about a nice condo in the mountains with a hot tub with a mountain view.  There you act like newlyweds and have complete control of your environment 

We just got off the 5/28 Koningsdam, it was myself, wife and in-laws (who are both in scooters). 2 of 4 of our party ended up with covid. Ours was a Vancouver - Vancouver route and at the time, you had to positive to fly back to the US. FIL was running out of meds and could not isolate in Vancouver. I ended up flying to Seattle, renting a car and driving back for him. We then decided to drive across the country and make our way back home, instead of isolating in place.

The experience at the end did sour the Alaska trip for everyone and added a lot of stress. Since you are looking at Seattle - Seattle and since the covid negative test is no longer required for Vancouver, all are options. But if it's covid itself that worries you, I would do as Mary suggested and look for something else. We were blessed with perfect weather on the cruise and I am still not sure it was worth the mess. I still have to deal with the travel insurance bit of it all.

• Like 2

Please understand, my advice is not about statistics, it is about the OP’s state of mind.  She needs to know she will be confronted with people of a different mind and she is already anxious.  I think everyone is entitled to their perceptions but drawing from her perceptions I don’t see her enjoying herself on a cruise.  Next year she may change her feelings regardless of what the state of Covid is or is not 

• Like 4

On 6/15/2022 at 12:50 AM, travelexplore3 said:

...I’m very scared of Covid, and yes, a cruise might be considered a Petrie dish, however I’m desperately trying to plan our 25 year wedding anniversary. We both loved cruising prior to Covid ...can we order meals at restaurants and take them back to our room? I do not want to eat in any restaurants. I would prefer to eat all meals in my room.

Those suggesting you carefully evaluate your own state of mind and level of anxiety are wise. Only you know how scared you really are, and what risks feel worth taking.

What part of the cruise gives you the most joy? Sitting on your balcony viewing the ocean and scenery, or attending the shows and meeting new people? You can wear a mask at all times, but do you want to? If others aren't required to, will you still be okay passing them in the hallways? What about outdoors on the decks?

Our family only decided to go ahead with our August cruise based upon the fact that we will be satisfied with our vacation even if we decide to hang out in our stateroom and eat all meals in isolation from other passengers. We also booked a cabana so we have even more outdoor space to enjoy. We are people who can sit with our books for hours, or enjoy board games, etc., without outside input to amuse us. We also upgraded to a Neptune Suite for the first time ever to make this option more palatable.

We really hope to explore the ports we're scheduled to visit, and we have excursions planned, but we will be SATISFIED if we do nothing but enjoy being fed well and cleaned up after by someone other than me (the mom!) 🙂

On the other hand, our ages do not make us at extreme risk from COVID. If I were older or had different health issues, cruising would be less appealing to me.

What will a "good" cruise look like?

If COVID rates go up again, will that prevent you from doing your "must do" cruise activities?

That's how I would assess this choice.

• Like 6