Checking in at pier

Hi there...can someone describe the process for check in times when you arrive at the pier?  Earlier this year, my brother was on Enchantment of the Seas and he had an 11:30 check in time.  He didn't board until almost 1pm.  He told me they waited in a very long line and then later realized there was a shorter line for his check in time.  Others were in the same boat.  Meanwhile the 12pm and 12:30pm check in folks, were now in the shorter line LOL.  He also said he thinks the long line he was in may have been a general line for folks who just showed up?  He wasn't sure.  It could have been the Baltimore pier that was disorganized or short staffed or both.

I am just wondering how it is usually organized.  How do they separate the folks who just show up at any time from those with check in times?  Thanks in advance!

Edited by slyster

1 hour ago, slyster said:

How do they separate the folks who just show up at any time from those with check in times? 

Baltimore is usually fairly well organized - they usually enforce the check in times. The staff outside the terminal usually check the times and it's also posted at the start of the line. The issue there is the throughput of the terminal - there are usually only two security lines and it just doesn't seem to be able to handle the traffic at "rush" hour.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning.  I was fortunate enough to get a 10am-10:30am slot.  I know we won't be on the ship at that time.  Can anyone tell me the approximate boarding time for Enchantment?

Also, my brother shared that it seems people just show up well before their check in times and get in line.  He said that's the problem...they get to the beginning of the line and then they are told, they can't go in yet.  In his case, he got in that long line that said 11:00-11:30 and most of the people in the line were being turned away once they got to the front.  It took him a long time to get to the front of line and be let in because he had the correct boarding time.  

Anyway, we should be much better off because we have the first boarding time.  Can't wait!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, slyster said:

Good morning.  I was fortunate enough to get a 10am-10:30am slot.  I know we won't be on the ship at that time.  Can anyone tell me the approximate boarding time for Enchantment?

Also, my brother shared that it seems people just show up well before their check in times and get in line.  He said that's the problem...they get to the beginning of the line and then they are told, they can't go in yet.  In his case, he got in that long line that said 11:00-11:30 and most of the people in the line were being turned away once they got to the front.  It took him a long time to get to the front of line and be let in because he had the correct boarding time.  

Anyway, we should be much better off because we have the first boarding time.  Can't wait!

More than likely within the hour.  We were on in April and we were in a JS which counts as a suite for use of the Key, Suite, Pinn door.  Had an 11am check in and we arrived just about 11 and literally we were onboard by 1120.  We're on next Fri (22 July) and have 10-1030 time.  We figure if we get there by 10, we can be onboard before 1030 which would be our earliest ever (even having done 3 b2b's over the  years).  EN has boarding starting so early because departure is at 3 pm.  We arrive back at 7 am, but public areas will be ready for earlier boarding.  I'm sure that cabins still won't be available til 130 or 2.  Baltimore has always been pretty quick for check in and boarding.  What doesn't help is those people who ignore their check in time and try to go earlier.  They just clog up the lines as once they get close to the door, they get sent back to wait.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

More than likely within the hour.  We were on in April and we were in a JS which counts as a suite for use of the Key, Suite, Pinn door.  Had an 11am check in and we arrived just about 11 and literally we were onboard by 1120.  We're on next Fri (22 July) and have 10-1030 time.  We figure if we get there by 10, we can be onboard before 1030 which would be our earliest ever (even having done 3 b2b's over the  years).  EN has boarding starting so early because departure is at 3 pm.  We arrive back at 7 am, but public areas will be ready for earlier boarding.  I'm sure that cabins still won't be available til 130 or 2.  Baltimore has always been pretty quick for check in and boarding.  What doesn't help is those people who ignore their check in time and try to go earlier.  They just clog up the lines as once they get close to the door, they get sent back to wait.

Thanks!  I am excited for our first cruise in 3 years!  Did you find long lines at 11?  Were there two lines or one?

My brother got there at 11:15 for his 11:30 check in time and he said it was a very long line.  He assumed they all had earlier check in times.  He noticed they were being turned away too.  As he got closer, he saw a second line with very few people and the sign said 12-12:30.  He said for sure there wasn't anyone standing out there with a sign saying 11:30-12:00, it was just RC person at front and a long line.  It was just bad timing.

Enjoy your cruise next week!  Lucky you!

Edited by slyster

Baltimore is strict about times.  We arrive at 12:45. Our chosen time is 12:30-1. We are directed to the 12:30 line.  A 1pm line forms separately.

Last winter, as we stood in line, a woman with a 2:30 time tried to join the line. She was told she had to wait in the warming hut, or elsewhere, until her time.

Inside the terminal, speed of processing might depend on the day of the week. We learned that many of the terminal employees have fulltime jobs during the week, so can only work there on weekends.  On our Thursday departures, they were short, and things took a little longer than otherwise.

If sailing to Bermuda, the Bermuda authorization will be checked.  If someone did not have that, there could be a holdup for them.

NJ is strict as well. We arrived at 10:30 for an 11AM check-in, and we understood and expected not to be taken right away. We were told to wait in a specific area until 11. Once we got in line, we noticed people tried to jump the line because they missed their check-in time. They were sent to the end of the line, along with folks who tried to check in early. I remember one porter saying to someone who tried to jump the line: "These people have been waiting longer than you, why should we let you on first? Back of the line, please!"

• Like 2

We had 11:00 embarkation time for the Enchantment cruise that just got back today. It went very quickly, as there were multiple tables to process people. I think it helps if you've uploaded your photo to the app, but I'm not sure.  Also your SeaPass card is at your door, so you don't have to wait for that.