Christmas and new year on board

Vampiress88

Please tell me your experiences of being on board p&o- any ship preferably family ones. 

I just can’t imagine Christmas not at home but it’s a bucket list things for hubby so might be looking at it. 

I just wouldn’t know what to do all day 

We haven't done Christmas, but did New Year on Ventura. 

We had a great time but never again. 

The ship was just too crowded and under staffed. 

It had attracted large parties, squeezed in to cabins which made the ship far too overcrowded and noisy. The Glass House was just being used as an overspill pub, as were all the communal areas. 

I'm sure others have had better experiences, but we struggled a bit. 

Andy

We did a Caribbean Christmas Cruise onboard Azura in 2017. Go for it! You’ll have the best time. 

My two were 9 and 7 then. The whole ship was beautifully decorated. On Christmas Eve they sat down with the Captain who read them a story in the atrium. That night there was a party out on deck and we waited for Father Christmas to arrive. He then climbed down the funnel (I get emotional just thinking of it 😂) All their little faces were just so amazed and excited! 

On Christmas Day they went to the grotto which was in the atrium and got a present from Father Christmas. In the afternoon we went to watch the panto which most of the kids stared in including my own. 

If I was being picky the Xmas dinner wasn’t as great as expected. Otherwise it was amazing!  You should definitely do it. 

• Like 2

We really enjoyed it on Iona last Xmas/New Year: nicely decorated and there was a nice festive vibe. And was so stress-free.

But we felt we actually prefer to have Xmas at home: eg) we actually missed our typically leisurely home-cooked Xmas dinner with friends and family etc, rather than being so crammed in at our allocated sitting on Xmas Day. But we certainly didn’t miss the frantic, stressful shopping madness in the run-up to Xmas which we often get on land!

However, it was all nicely festive and was great to have done one onboard. A gorgeous experience! The pic doesn’t do justice to how gorgeous it looked in the Atrium.

586D5CB7-575C-41E2-89F1-91897D343A42.jpeg

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Camberley said:

We really enjoyed it on Iona last Xmas/New Year: nicely decorated and there was a nice festive vibe. And was so stress-free.

But we felt we actually prefer to have Xmas at home: eg) we actually missed our typically leisurely home-cooked Xmas dinner with friends and family etc, rather than being so crammed in at our allocated sitting on Xmas Day. But we certainly didn’t miss the frantic, stressful shopping madness in the run-up to Xmas which we often get on land!

However, it was all nicely festive and was great to have done one onboard. A gorgeous experience! The pic doesn’t do justice to how gorgeous it looked in the Atrium.

586D5CB7-575C-41E2-89F1-91897D343A42.jpeg

My goodness Iona looks beautiful. 
We felt exactly the same. We were so happy we did it and made some lovely memories for the children but we like our home comforts too much.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

awww that’s brilliant. Thank you. Hope they are still doing all these. 

It’s difficult to say isn’t at the moment. The way P&O are dragging their feet with things like the kids club I wouldn’t be 100% sure everything will be back to normal by then ☹️ Father Christmas I’m certain will still make an appearance and they’ll do the panto. 

I have spent 2 christmases on P&O cruises. It was generally a good experience but I found the actual christmas dinner a disappointment. Food was mediocre and on one occassion we had a half empty dining room with a disfunctional family as 'entertainment'. Our table decided to miss the pudding.

Interesting comments regarding the Christmas cruise experience , we have thought about doing this for a number of years ,but as our children are grown up and would not be with us anyway should we go on an adult only? Some of the positives revolve around the younger generations and if the ship was as full as Andy stated it could be a bit overpowering, we will have to have a long hard think before taking the plunge   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Interesting comments regarding the Christmas cruise experience , we have thought about doing this for a number of years ,but as our children are grown up and would not be with us anyway should we go on an adult only? Some of the positives revolve around the younger generations and if the ship was as full as Andy stated it could be a bit overpowering, we will have to have a long hard think before taking the plunge   

In retrospect, I think a cruise with just adults would have made for an even better experience for us. Kids can add a certain magic to Xmas, and are great if they are part of your own party……but other people’s kids MUCH less so!!

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

We used to do the New Years cruises .Same as you the kids had grown up and off doing there

own thing. The ships, as Andy said can be a little crowded especially on the northern ones 

where it can be a tad chilly out doors . One New Year we had a thick air frost set in for the day so even going off the ship around the Christmas markets, had you heading back for the warmth of the ship after a couple of hours . The ships are nicely decorated and we liked getting away from the hustle and bustle of back home. 

If we were to do a festive cruise again our choice would be one that does New years eve  in Madeira, that was hands down our best ever, especially with the fireworks ,they are awesome and stood out on deck on a nice evening , I would recommend to anyone.

Check them out on You Tube but nothing beats being there .:classic_love:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

Caribbean Christmas every year for us.  Started on Azura some years back, three on Britannia to date and booked on her again this year and Arvia next.  Azura was not so good but Britannia we love.  We book the Epicurean Christmas dinner (cost £60 each last year) and it was brilliant - you can do Boxing Day too.  

We don't have children but those on board we see have a great time. We used to do snow one year Caribbean the next but we just love the ports being dressed as much as the ship and every one is beautiful.

Go for it, but don't tell too many.

We have been doing Christmas and New Year every year since 2006. First one was on the old QE2 but the rest have all been on P&O in the Caribbean except for one year when we did Celebrity out of Miami ( this was the worst, all the others have been great). We are booked for this year and next year on Britannia. Why spend the time in the UK with rubbish weather when you can chill out on deck or your balcony in nice warmth. Go for it. You won’t regret it!!

pS ships are beautifully decorated. 

• Like 2

The ships have their Christmas decorations up and gingerbread village from early December. It's rather novel to be ashore in the Caribbean sun with Christmas carols being played by a Reggie band.

We have only once been onboard over Christmas and New Year, on the late Adonia. We only booked for the itinerary and suspect that P&O only offered it at that time so they could charge a premium. Despite being fully booked it did not seem over crowded but it was a different generation of ship. P&O and crew worked hard to put on Christmassy entertainment and activities, despite being an adults only ship OH had to queue up with the other Ladies to sit on Santa's lap.

It was a very good time and the only criticism from some was that the main Christmas day meal was dinner not lunch. of course there was always one who thought that the Captain was heavy handed with the adding of the alcohol at the Christmas pudding mixing ceremony on the Lido deck.

On 6/17/2022 at 10:18 AM, kalos said:

We used to do the New Years cruises .Same as you the kids had grown up and off doing there

own thing. The ships, as Andy said can be a little crowded especially on the northern ones 

where it can be a tad chilly out doors . One New Year we had a thick air frost set in for the day so even going off the ship around the Christmas markets, had you heading back for the warmth of the ship after a couple of hours . The ships are nicely decorated and we liked getting away from the hustle and bustle of back home. 

If we were to do a festive cruise again our choice would be one that does New years eve  in Madeira, that was hands down our best ever, especially with the fireworks ,they are awesome and stood out on deck on a nice evening , I would recommend to anyone.

Check them out on You Tube but nothing beats being there .:classic_love:

We have a cruise booked for our first ever Christmas which includes Madeira fireworks on Aurora, fingers crossed, this year. We are on Aurora late August this year too.  Keeping everything crossed!

• Like 1

We did a week's Christmas cruise on Arcadia a few years ago. I think the dates were 20th Dec to 27th Dec

The ship was beautifully decorated and the gingerbread village popped up overnight and was available to see on the morning of 23rd December.

I particularly enjoyed the days before Christmas, as the ports were very festive, especially Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. I liked Christmas Eve when everyone gathered for carols on the aft deck - in a snowy Oslo at twilight, it was really quite magical. Then Father Christmas arrived, climbing out of the funnel. When he joined us on the aft deck he was completely mobbed, which was strange, considering it was an adults only cruise. 

I also enjoyed Boxing Day, when the crew did an afternoon show, and it was a hoot.

But I wasn't keen on Christmas Day. It seemed curiously low key and quiet, and I would have really have preferred to be at home.

I probably wouldn't do another Christmas cruise, but I would like to do a New Years cruise, to see the fireworks in Madeira.

IMG_2573.thumb.JPG.503114bb97081f8dee2834e6308e023b.JPG

IMG_2579.thumb.JPG.756750ca34851ef71b15b4d1a7d5a5a9.JPG

• Like 2

Oh dear -- we have booked a cruise for 2023 on Azura from Tenerife that covers Christmas and New Year to the Canary Islands. Hubby has always wanted to do a Christmas cruise. Beginning to think we are making a mistake ...............

On 6/16/2022 at 7:39 PM, AndyMichelle said:

We haven't done Christmas, but did New Year on Ventura. 

We had a great time but never again. 

The ship was just too crowded and under staffed. 

It had attracted large parties, squeezed in to cabins which made the ship far too overcrowded and noisy. The Glass House was just being used as an overspill pub, as were all the communal areas. 

I'm sure others have had better experiences, but we struggled a bit. 

Andy

Andy was that a short cruise 5 nights or less? We have always done at least 14 nights so no large parties. This year we are on Aurora so unfortunately no children. We have found that we do far more Christmassy things on the ship than at home. Panto, Christmas cake, mince pies, carols, midnight service, lots of decorations etc.

Dai

7 hours ago, daiB said:

Andy was that a short cruise 5 nights or less? We have always done at least 14 nights so no large parties. This year we are on Aurora so unfortunately no children. We have found that we do far more Christmassy things on the ship than at home. Panto, Christmas cake, mince pies, carols, midnight service, lots of decorations etc.

Dai

Ooh, you have me thinking now Dai? 

I thought it was 7 but may have been 5.

Im sure you are right about the length of cruise making a difference, but also a point was made to us that the staff who had worked the Xmas period got off for New Year and were not sufficiently replaced. 

It was also our first time on Ventura after many trips mainly on Aurora, Oceana and Britannia, so was a bit of a culture shock... 

Andy 

Agree with many, Christmas and New Year on board is magical.

As some have mentioned, if you’ve got a cruise which covers both you should be fine. 

The 4-5 night new year only cruises do turn into a bit of a glorified party cruise.

We did a Caribbean Christmas cruise on Azura a few years ago and enjoyed. We also did a 'Cuban Fusion' on Marella in 2018 - never, ever again. Christmas Day lunch was over in half an hour, 2 large groups of what I now have to call 'travellers' caused great disruption with drunken behaviour and fighting, we didn't even get to Cuba and spent an entire day picking up a boatload of refugees.

This Christmas we are doing a New York round trip via the Caribbean with Cunard, so hoping for a much more civilised experience!

9 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

We did a Caribbean Christmas cruise on Azura a few years ago and enjoyed. We also did a 'Cuban Fusion' on Marella in 2018 - never, ever again. Christmas Day lunch was over in half an hour, 2 large groups of what I now have to call 'travellers' caused great disruption with drunken behaviour and fighting, we didn't even get to Cuba and spent an entire day picking up a boatload of refugees.

This Christmas we are doing a New York round trip via the Caribbean with Cunard, so hoping for a much more civilised experience!

Seen those 'groups' on P&O as well