Viking drops testing requirement

CruiserBruce

I must have missed any discussion here of Viking dropping boarding test requirements, and whether HAL could or should follow. I would have expected much intense discussion, but didn't see any. Viking is a pretty small operation, but if one of the major cruise lines or corporations follows...

Viking's statement:

“Viking highly recommends, but no longer requires, a predeparture covid-19 test—unless one is required by the destination. As of June 10, 2022, select ocean voyages on the Viking Orion and expedition voyages on the Viking Octantis in the United States and Canada will continue to require a predeparture COVID-19 test.”

• Like 1

I inquired about this and apparently EU European Cruise Protocol, cited on HAL website, is merely voluntary, similar to CDC recommendations for sailing from US ports.  They are not requirements.  According to the Viking representative that I spoke to they are no longer looking at complying with EU protocol, while HAL and other cruise lines sailing from European port have volunteered to still comply.  Major shift for Viking, which when from the most restrictive to one of the less restrictive.

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I must have missed any discussion here of Viking dropping boarding test requirements, and whether HAL could or should follow. I would have expected much intense discussion, but didn't see any. Viking is a pretty small operation, but if one of the major cruise lines or corporations follows...

Viking's statement:

“Viking highly recommends, but no longer requires, a predeparture covid-19 test—unless one is required by the destination. As of June 10, 2022, select ocean voyages on the Viking Orion and expedition voyages on the Viking Octantis in the United States and Canada will continue to require a predeparture COVID-19 test.”

This doesn't sound like Viking is foregoing all pre-cruise testing.  It probably will depend on the ports scheduled ports, so I am not sure how optimistically this announcement can be read.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

This doesn't sound like Viking is foregoing all pre-cruise testing.  It probably will depend on the ports scheduled ports, so I am not sure how optimistically this announcement can be read.   

It says they will require a test if a port requires it. But, for example,  I don't think most European ports require tests. Canada certainly does.

• Like 1