Experienced Cruiser’s First Time on HAL; My Impressions

GreytRacer

31 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That’s interesting, last month it was free and it was good.  I have never been a fan of HAL lobster but DH asked the waiter to bring me one because it was so good.  Maybe it is a supply chain issue.  There are also new regulations governing lobstering in the US, this could also be having an impact.   https://www.nhpr.org/2022-06-07/breakable-lines-remote-control-traps-maine-lobstermen-grapple-with-an-onslaught-of-new-rules

I have never been a fan of any cruise ship's lobster as they are mostly warm water, Australian or Caribbean lobsters. I was just surprised to see it on the Nav app as an addon, but we all know that app is not very accurate. The US lobstering rules would not have any effect on warm water lobster tails. But as you say it could be a supply chain issue as everything seems to be today.

Edited by terrydtx

23 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That’s interesting, last month it was free and it was good.  I have never been a fan of HAL lobster but DH asked the waiter to bring me one because it was so good.  Maybe it is a supply chain issue.  There are also new regulations governing lobstering in the US, this could also be having an impact.   https://www.nhpr.org/2022-06-07/breakable-lines-remote-control-traps-maine-lobstermen-grapple-with-an-onslaught-of-new-rules

I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard the words supply chain issue.  I could retire. I have zero problems buying it where I live and I’m not close to an ocean.  If it’s a supply chain issue why do they have them available for purchase and on longer cruises?  I had an add on in the pinnacle and it wasn’t good.  That said I had lobster tail in the stand alone sel de mer and it’s was amazing.  I would not pay for it elsewhere.

Just now, terrydtx said:

I have never been a fan of any cruise ship's lobster as they are mostly warm water, Australian or Caribbean lobsters. I was just surprised to see it on the Nav app as an addon, but we all know that app is not very accurate. The US lobstering rules would not have any effect on warm water lobster tails. But as you say it could be a supply chain issue and everything seems to be today.

This lobster was good and tasted like American lobster.  I was shocked. 

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

The price is coming down.  It used to be $20 and maybe even $25.

In the Nav app lobster only shows being available on the second Gala Night, and it was $10 extra.

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard the words supply chain issue.  I could retire. I have zero problems buying it where I live and I’m not close to an ocean.  If it’s a supply chain issue why do they have them available for purchase and on longer cruises?  I had an add on in the pinnacle and it wasn’t good.  That said I had lobster tail in the stand alone sel de mer and it’s was amazing.  I would not pay for it elsewhere.

Maybe because we pay more. My cruise was not cheap, it was not $100 a day like the current Canadian cruise we started with in the thread 

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

This lobster was good and tasted like American lobster.  I was shocked. 

On our last Celebrity cruise, the lobster in the Murano specialty restaurant clearly states "Warm water lobster" so I steered away for sure. The night we ate in Murano our waiter upfront warned us that the lobster was getting many complaints all that week. On the Surf and Turf dressy night the menu also said warm water lobster. I saw some being eaten that night and I have seen Crawfish larger than those lobster tails. LOL

Edited by terrydtx

Just now, Mary229 said:

Maybe because we pay more. My cruise was not cheap, it was not $100 a day like the current Canadian cruise we started with in the thread 

I believe it’s because it’s longer.  I have definitely not seen it on any 7 day unless it was Christmas or New Years.  I pay multiples of $100 per day for cruises.  Mine are not cheap either.  If you can take last minute cruises that price may be more likely.  I’m not in that position now and going forward it’s even less likely for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

On our 2019 Noordam cruise to Alaska, our grandson loved the lobster and had 3 of them in the MDR. But he wouldn't know a good or bad lobster.

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

On our last Celebrity cruise, the lobster in the Murano specialty restaurant clearly states "Warm water lobster" so I steered away for sure. The night we ate in Murano our waiter upfront warned us that the lobster was getting many complaints all that week. On the Surf and Turf dressy night the menu also said warm water lobster. I saw some being eaten that night and I have seen Crawfish larger than those lobster tails. LOL

What it wasn’t all sunshine and roses in a celebrity restaurant 😛😉?

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

What it wasn’t all sunshine and roses in a celebrity restaurant 😛😉?

On that 10-day cruise, that would have been my only negative about the food, but I knew better than order the lobster.  Instead, we had the rack of herb crusted lamb in Murano, and it was one of the best I have ever had at sea and on land.

20 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Mary, I doubt the price you pay for a cruise had anything to do with what is available in the MDR. The passengers in the least expensive cabins eat in the same MDR and have the same menu as those paying for the most expensive cabins. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Mary, I doubt the price you pay for a cruise had anything to do with what is available in the MDR. The passengers in the least expensive cabins eat in the same MDR and have the same menu as those paying for the most expensive cabins.

I am talking about the price of the cruise not the cabin. There were no $100 a day rooms unless you got the last minute deal which I never saw

16 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I believe it’s because it’s longer.  I have definitely not seen it on any 7 day unless it was Christmas or New Years.  I pay multiples of $100 per day for cruises.  Mine are not cheap either.  If you can take last minute cruises that price may be more likely.  I’m not in that position now and going forward it’s even less likely for me.

I meant the overall price of the cruise even for the smallest cabin. There simply were no $100 a day cabins.  I did not see any last minute deals but I am not a Florida resident   

but enough about lobster😉

Edited by Mary229

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

I am talking about the price of the cruise not the cabin. There were no $100 a day rooms unless you got the last minute deal which I never saw

That makes sense. Our 14-day Oosterdam cruise is not cheap by any means and if the Nav app is right we would have to pay extra for the lobster. The app also shows the jumbo shrimp cocktail is a $8.50 addon in the MDR.

Just now, terrydtx said:

That makes sense. Our 14-day Oosterdam cruise is not cheap by any means and if the Nav app is right we would have to pay extra for the lobster. The app also shows the jumbo shrimp cocktail is a $8.50 addon in the MDR.

We had shrimp cocktail but the jumbo was offered as an add on. I personally never saw the jumbo so I can’t comment. The regular was fine by me 

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

We had shrimp cocktail but the jumbo was offered as an add on. I personally never saw the jumbo so I can’t comment. The regular was fine by me 

Again on the Noordam in 2019 the jumbo shrimp cocktail was available every night at no charge, our grandson who loves all shellfish, had one and sometimes two every night. He was 10 at the time and he even loved the raw oysters we had in Vancouver before the cruise.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I had it twice for free in May.  Perhaps it is only for longer voyages. 

Our March B2B on KDam (2 7 day cruise) only had extra charge lobster. Next month we have an 18 day cruise, hopefully lobster there for free. The escargot was very good, had it both cruises in March.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Our March B2B on KDam (2 7 day cruise) only had extra charge lobster. Next month we have an 18 day cruise, hopefully lobster there for free. The escargot was very good, had it both cruises in March.

I did not like the escargot and usually I am a fan.  The lobster was the best ever on HAL

On our recent 18 day cruise on the Koningsdam there were 3 Gala nights. The first two had non-lobster seafood available and shrimp cocktails for appetizers. The last one had filet mignon and lobster, for no additional charge. 

• Thanks 1

My wife and I are first time cruisers in our early 60s and one the reasons we decided on HAL, was the reports of it being a more reserved atmosphere. This cruise is about the destination for us more than anything else. Going to Glacier Bay NP was a big factor. I also considered Princess when we were planning our cruise but after receiving the form email from them with a number for a cruise planner, I left voice mails and emails and never heard back. HAL called me back right away. I guess Princess doesn't need our money.

My wife and I were both born and raised in Florida. This morning, if I wanted to go to a nice beach on an island, I could drive to Sanibel and be on the beach in about 45 minutes. So a Caribbean cruise never interested us. Alaska is a place we really want to see.

We like to vacation around National Parks and wild areas. Several years ago, we spent a week in Maine, visiting Acadia NP. We got spoiled on eating the lobster at the lobster pounds. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Troubador222 said:

We like to vacation around National Parks and wild areas. Several years ago, we spent a week in Maine, visiting Acadia NP. We got spoiled on eating the lobster at the lobster pounds. 

We spent 2 weeks touring Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire by land 20 years ago, it spoiled us for not only great lobster but the diver scallops and fresh muscles too. I still remember the awesome lobster roll too. One day outside of Portland Maine, we stumbled upon a local lobster festival and enjoyed so many lobster treats. Back then you could buy a whole live 1 lb lobster for under $5, I hear that is no more from friends who live up there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Troubador222 said:

My wife and I are first time cruisers in our early 60s and one the reasons we decided on HAL, was the reports of it being a more reserved atmosphere. This cruise is about the destination for us more than anything else. Going to Glacier Bay NP was a big factor. I also considered Princess when we were planning our cruise but after receiving the form email from them with a number for a cruise planner, I left voice mails and emails and never heard back. HAL called me back right away. I guess Princess doesn't need our money.

My wife and I were both born and raised in Florida. This morning, if I wanted to go to a nice beach on an island, I could drive to Sanibel and be on the beach in about 45 minutes. So a Caribbean cruise never interested us. Alaska is a place we really want to see.

We also travel for itinerary and we do enjoy the very reserved atmosphere, not stuffy but quiet.  I can overlook a lot as long as they get me there, let me spend quality time in port, feed me healthy food and keep my room clean.  The bonus with HAL is the staff - downright nice people who appear happy in their job.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Again on the Noordam in 2019 the jumbo shrimp cocktail was available every night at no charge, our grandson who loves all shellfish, had one and sometimes two every night. He was 10 at the time and he even loved the raw oysters we had in Vancouver before the cruise.

There was no charge for jumbo shrimp on any hal ship before the shut down.

We will be having our first HAL experience in Zaandam next year, it is the Boston to Montreal itinerary, ours includes a stop in Newfoundland.

I really think that any disappointment about lobster on the ship's menu for this itinerary is really a non issue. If you want lobster on a New England/ East coast Canada cruise you probably want to get it fresh from any number of vendors ashore. Anyone who has enjoyed a lobster that was live moments before it was cooked are likely to be disappointed with "lobster" on the ship with unknown origin which has been frozen for who knows how long. No matter what ship in what cruise line it was served on.