Could a CDC change to pre-cruise testing requirements be coming soon?

Ken the cruiser

In my opinion, I think it's time to drop the testing before boarding. So much happens in the 48 hours from when you test negative to the time you get on the ship; who knows what you might pick up during that time.  Between airports, cabs, hotels or whatever you are doing combined with getting on a ship with people from all over the world who have just gone through the same travel experiences to get to ship; the odds are astronomical that you can completely keep Covid off the ship.  And that doesn't even factor in what you expose yourself to (or other shipmates expose themselves too) when you get off at ports.

Living in Orlando and someone who travels a fair bit for work, the amount of people I see in airports, theme parks, sports stadiums, rock concerts, etc - all without required negative tests 48 hrs before the event (or even vax requirements); shows that a lot of people have moved on.  At this point, the pre-board test is antiquated in how a majority of society is living today.

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, Team Stag said:

In my opinion, I think it's time to drop the testing before boarding. So much happens in the 48 hours from when you test negative to the time you get on the ship; who knows what you might pick up during that time.  Between airports, cabs, hotels or whatever you are doing combined with getting on a ship with people from all over the world who have just gone through the same travel experiences to get to ship; the odds are astronomical that you can completely keep Covid off the ship.  And that doesn't even factor in what you expose yourself to (or other shipmates expose themselves too) when you get off at ports.

Living in Orlando and someone who travels a fair bit for work, the amount of people I see in airports, theme parks, sports stadiums, rock concerts, etc - all without required negative tests 48 hrs before the event (or even vax requirements); shows that a lot of people have moved on.  At this point, the pre-board test is antiquated in how a majority of society is living today.

If you knew you had Covid, would you still board the ship?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Would it be OK if we waited to answer that type of question until if and when the CDC actually makes any changes to their existing pre-cruise testing requirements AND the cruise lines adjust their protocols accordingly?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

44 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Would it be OK if we waited to answer that type of question until if and when the CDC actually makes any changes to their existing pre-cruise testing requirements AND the cruise lines adjust their protocols accordingly?

Serious question, all the folks who advocate and agree with the current testing, if the CDC drops the requirements tomorrow, will you cruise comfortably?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Had a sad comment made today by the only physician in a small community average age well over 70.  Covid is becoming a lesser concern both because it's mutations seem to have created a disease that is less virulent AND those individuals in our community who were the weakest and most susceptible are mostly deceased.

Sadly, that is correct, although there is a factor of luck, fate, Gods plan, however you look at it - some people who seem to be the weakest and most susceptible, survived, although many didn’t.

More of us move into that most susceptible category daily, the trick is to develop and maintain enough immunity, both in our own bodies and in the community (herd immunity) to reduce our risk as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Serious question, all the folks who advocate and agree with the current testing, if the CDC drops the requirements tomorrow, will you cruise comfortably?

Sorry, I just can’t imagine the CDC unconditionally dropping all of the pre-cruise testing requirements in one stroke of the pen. But, hey, that’s just me. 

3 hours ago, LGW59 said:

We don’t advocate or agree with the current testing but will answer the question anyway as I don’t think many others will, definitely for us. Would love to think that it would be dropped before the end of August when we next cruise, but we know that’s highly unlikely. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

No, because that's actually the point.  The real questions are:  Has Covid progressed to the point that it can be treated like the flu?  Are therapeutics readily available to reduce the severity and duration of Covid?  Can the countries visited by the cruise ships handle a Covid outbreak?  If the answers are yes to these questions, it may make sense to change the quarantine and isolation protocols for infected people and their close contacts.  Pre-cruise testing is really the second question.  Until it makes sense to change the protocols, it doesn't make any sense to discuss eliminating pre-cruise testing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Pre-cruise testing is really the second question.  Until it makes sense to change the protocols, it doesn't make any sense to discuss eliminating pre-cruise testing.

When you predicate one on the other like that it presupposes that the pre-cruise testing is having a significant impact on the need for those other measures, which is hard to justify.

If the testing was continuing throughout the cruise that might be a reasonable link, but it isn't.

Given that pre-flight testing has been removed I suspect it is only a matter of time before pre-cruise testing will go the same way...

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 2

so , how many people test positive and can't board for each cruise?  This testing saves both passengers and crew from getting sick. Once it hits it spreads fast! Crew goes down and service drops. 

Yes covid will be brought on by some but every case stopped helps

• Like 1

I am still a believer in masking in crowds,  one of the few in our supermarket. However, I believe that a Covid test is still only a snapshot at that time. For our upcoming cruise in October we will test Saturday morning. We will then take 3 flights to get to Rome, a car ride with a stranger to Civitavecchia, overnight in a hotel and at least 2 restaurants, and that’s before we get on our b2b. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rachiem said:

We are sailing with P&O next month. 
have just been informed that we will no longer need a test to board 

I just went to the P&O website, and they are still requiring them. Would it be possible for you to provide something which shows the P&O policy change?

Testing requirements:

Unless otherwise communicated, all guests aged five years and over will need to organise and pay for a lateral flow/antigen test, to be taken within one day prior to embarkation of the ship. This can be at any time the day before or day of embarkation (NHS tests will not be accepted). Guests will need to present their valid negative antigen test certificate, often referred to as a ‘fit to fly’ certificate, at the ship's terminal.

In addition to the above antigen test, all unvaccinated guests aged five to 11 years will also be required to take a complimentary lateral flow/antigen test once they arrive at the terminal, administered by our service provider, Prenetics.

Preparing to sail | P&O Cruises (pocruises.com)

4 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

No, because that's actually the point.  The real questions are:  Has Covid progressed to the point that it can be treated like the flu? Are therapeutics readily available to reduce the severity and duration of Covid?  Can the countries visited by the cruise ships handle a Covid outbreak?  If the answers are yes to these questions, it may make sense to change the quarantine and isolation protocols for infected people and their close contacts.  Pre-cruise testing is really the second question.  Until it makes sense to change the protocols, it doesn't make any sense to discuss eliminating pre-cruise testing.

There you go. I agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ROYALBOY said:

I am still a believer in masking in crowds,  one of the few in our supermarket. However, I believe that a Covid test is still only a snapshot at that time. For our upcoming cruise in October we will test Saturday morning. We will then take 3 flights to get to Rome, a car ride with a stranger to Civitavecchia, overnight in a hotel and at least 2 restaurants, and that’s before we get on our b2b. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

I agree !!.. When ever we go to a testing clinic at home they stress that we are only negative at that moment. We mask as well.

18 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I just went to the P&O website, and they are still requiring them. Would it be possible for you to provide something which shows the P&O policy change?

I saw it on a P&O FB group posted by an admin. It apparently is a limited trial from June 25 to July 23. I'm not sure if they will post it to the website since it only impacts 5 sailings. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Testing requirements:

Unless otherwise communicated, all guests aged five years and over will need to organise and pay for a lateral flow/antigen test, to be taken within one day prior to embarkation of the ship. This can be at any time the day before or day of embarkation (NHS tests will not be accepted). Guests will need to present their valid negative antigen test certificate, often referred to as a ‘fit to fly’ certificate, at the ship's terminal.

In addition to the above antigen test, all unvaccinated guests aged five to 11 years will also be required to take a complimentary lateral flow/antigen test once they arrive at the terminal, administered by our service provider, Prenetics.

Preparing to sail | P&O Cruises (pocruises.com)

I can only copy and paste the email that I was sent, but here you go...

Removal of testing for guests on Iona 25 June to 23 July 2022 (inclusive) departures

As the health protocols for COVID-19 continue to evolve across the world, P&O Cruises will be changing its policy on Iona to remove the pre-departure testing for all guests.

As a result, guests travelling on the following five cruise holidays will no longer need to purchase or take a lateral flow (antigen) test prior to boarding the ship:

G220 25 June 2022
G221 2 July 2022
G222 9 July 2022
G223 16 July 2022
G224 23 July 2022

All guests aged 12 years and over are still required to be fully vaccinated* with an approved COVID-19 vaccine a minimum of 14 days prior to travel. For guests aged 16 years and over, if more than 270 days (calculated from the last day of the cruise) have passed since the full completion of a vaccination course, a booster vaccine will also be needed and must be administered a minimum of seven days prior to travel.

At this time, a second booster vaccination is not required, however, we strongly recommend all guests to have booster vaccinations at the earliest opportunity, should they be available to them, in order to comply with evolving vaccine policies from the countries we visit.

*The definition of ‘fully vaccinated’ is having completed a two-dose COVID-19 vaccination course or single-dose Janssen COVID-19 vaccine (plus a booster if applicable) approved by the MHRA, EMA or WHO.

Guests under 12 years of age are exempt from vaccination and pre-travel testing for these cruise holidays.

For the moment, the removal of testing is only on the above cruises. Should this be extended, we’ll let guests know as necessary.

You can rest assured that the protection of your health and well-being is, as always, very important to us and we still have a number of protocols in place to help you relax and enjoy your holiday.

Why are you doing this just on Iona and on these selected cruises?
We chose Iona as she is sailing shorter duration cruises on the same itinerary each week.

Will you be extending this change in policy to all Iona cruises and all ships?
Initially the removal of testing requirement will only be on these five Iona cruises but should this be extended then we will advise guests as necessary.

I have bought a test for my cruise, will you reimburse me for the cost?
With this change in policy, we are unable to reimburse guests for the cost of any tests purchased. Whilst it is no longer a requirement, you are of course able to use the test for your own peace of mind prior to travel.

We can't wait to welcome you on board.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rachiem said:

What ports are you visiting? Could the ports affect the decision?

Edited: I see where duration of cruise did affect this decision, but it does sound like they are looking to extend the policy to other cruises.

Edited by cangelmd

3 hours ago, rachiem said:

First the news from Viking, now P&O dips its toe in the water. It's happening. Good to see.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RichYak said:

First the news from Viking, now P&O dips its toe in the water. It's happening. Good to see.

Yes and despite many people in the thread claiming there is no way that cruise lines would do this, it certainly seems to be the direction the industry is going. I’m glad to see it. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

While I may take heat for this response, here's how I would answer that:

1) If I was feeling crummy 2 or 3 days before departure & tested positive, then I would not board the ship assuming Celebrity still had a policy in place to lift and shift or receive future credit for what I spent.

2) If I tested positive 14 days in advance of the cruise, felt crummy for 2 or 3 days and then had 7 days with no symptoms (while isolating for the length of time per CDC instruction for my vaccine level etc, etc, etc.) and still tested positive 2 days before boarding - then I would most likely go on the cruise (after an in depth conversation with my traveling party /doctor ).  
3) If I feel fine 2 days before the cruise (and I'm not required to take a test), then I am not taking a test for testing sake.

All assuming that all pre boarding restrictions (test and health questionnaire) had been lifted.  

Keep in mind - this is one person's opinion on a fictitious scenario where I would also need to weigh in the details of where I'm going (what continent), what ports etc.  And I have not run this by my other half who may have a vastly different answer for me. 

Edited by Team Stag
  • Like 10

5 minutes ago, Team Stag said:

While I may take heat for this response, here's how I would answer that:

1) If I was feeling crummy 2 or 3 days before departure & tested positive, then I would not board the ship assuming Celebrity still had a policy in place to lift and shift or receive future credit for what I spent.

2) If I tested positive 14 days in advance of the cruise, felt crummy for 2 or 3 days and then had 7 days with no symptoms (while isolating for the length of time per CDC instruction for my vaccine level etc, etc, etc.) and still tested positive 2 days before boarding - then I would most likely go on the cruise (after an in depth conversation with my traveling party /doctor ).  
3) If I feel fine 2 days before the cruise (and I'm not required to take a test), then I am not taking a test for testing sake.

All assuming that all pre boarding restrictions (test and health questionnaire) had been lifted.  

Keep in mind - this is one person's opinion on a fictitious scenario where I would also need to weigh in the details of where I'm going (what continent), what ports etc.  And I have not run this by my other half who may have a vastly different answer for me. 

I think your answers are very appropriate. I am a supporter of testing that Celebrity does, but if everyone had your mindset I would be comfortable sailing without a testing requirement.
 The people I worry about are the ones that know they have Covid, don't feel great, and say, what the heck, I paid for this cruise so I'm going anyways and I'm sure I'll feel better once I get on the ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I favor pre-cruise testing. I've done four 7-day cruises this year, but not as comfortably as I would like.  I would be even less comfortable if the pre-cruise testing were dropped. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. Even if the CDC did drop the requirement, the cruise lines know that testing helps protect passengers and, more importantly, crew, so they might try some test-free trial runs (ala P&O) to gauge the impact first.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, latserrof said:

I favor pre-cruise testing. I've done four 7-day cruises this year, but not as comfortably as I would like.  I would be even less comfortable if the pre-cruise testing were dropped. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. Even if the CDC did drop the requirement, the cruise lines know that testing helps protect passengers and, more importantly, crew, so they might try some test-free trial runs (ala P&O) to gauge the impact first.

Without stats from the cruise line as to the actual number of passengers that failed the 2 day pre cruise test (and therefore needed to be refunded or FCC) no one really has a clue of how effective or necessary it is. It’s all conjecture, which is all too common these days. 
I think the CDC will eliminate the pre cruise testing within 2 months. Those up to date in vaccination need no test. Those only fully vaccinated or less may well still need the test to board.