NCL air promotion - meaning of 2 day deviation

sopdx

My cruise will embark from NY on Sunday but would like to get to NY on Friday.  We will disembark on Sunday and would love to fly home on Tuesday.

Can we do it through NCL air package but we don't need accomodation from NCL. Thanks for any help 

4 hours ago, jemz1949 said:

You do not need to book your hotel thru NCL.  

Has anyone ever noted if hotel is cheaper through NCL or no? Looking at their choice for Vancouver....looks pretty pricey booking personally.  I'm wondering if there's a better rate through them. 

11 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

Has anyone ever noted if hotel is cheaper through NCL or no? Looking at their choice for Vancouver....looks pretty pricey booking personally.  I'm wondering if there's a better rate through them. 

I was offered the Westin in Seattle for the same price I could book it myself. I don't think they have hotel deals. I was told most people book their own hotel, which is what we did. Hopefully others will chime in. 

10 hours ago, sadiwest said:

It is generally more expensive to book a hotel through a cruise line. Typically, the cruise line will charge per person. And you’ll be limited in hotel choices.  To know for sure in any specific city, do the research and price it out.  

I thought the price I was being quoted on the phone by my NCL CC was kind of high, so I pulled up the same hotel online at the same time. It was the same price. I guess summertime in Vancouver is kind of high, as well as it being a Hilton Hotel, which is usually higher.

Edited by debdel
missed a word

I never book hotels through NCL or any other cruiselines.

I always book on my own.  When you book direct with the hotels, you can get the points/discounts directly with the hotel.  If there are any issues, you don't need to go through 3rd party to try to deal with.

But some people would always book thru NCL or other cruiselines, rather than doing some research, because they feel they can trust NCL and things will be taken care of.

And when you do the air deviation the passenger who is being charged for the airfare receives a $25 deviation credit. We had already booked our cruise and then the air promo became available so we added it to our existing reservation. When we added the buy one get one free airfare on our upcoming Alaska cruise out of Seattle coming in one day early a $25 deviation credit was applied to the airfare charge. I believe if you come in two days early or stay two days later it’s a $50 credit. 

I inquired as I wanted to come 3 days early to have 2 full days in New York. To do that I would have to book their hotel at around $1,000 & I said no thanks. I have a hotel in Times Square for $384.90 for 3 days. 

I’ve also been told that if you book through NCL you can’t pick your flights so you have to accept what they assign you. 

If you booked your airfare through NCL before what was your experiences?

Tom😀

@trbarton to do a 3 day deviation they required you to book their hotel?  First - I didn't think 3 days was an option, I thought it was only 1or 2.  Second - I didn't think they required you to book hotel through NCL if you wanted a deviation, I certainly didn't need to as I stated earlier in the thread.

I've heard that NCL charges a per-person rate for the room rather than just a room rate, making their bookings cost double even if they're only booking one room for 2 people.

As for my experience with the air (keeping in mind my experience was in 2019 when it was "free or reduced" rather than BOGO) - I got flights that I expected, though certainly not exactly ideal but I knew what might happen.  I had a 6 AM flight from my home airport of Albany on the day before the cruise.  I was on the ground in LA by 11 AM.  Yes, they still booked as though we needed to be at the cruise terminal by 2 PM even though it was the day before. 

For the return flight I had a midnight flight from LAX on disembarkation day.  I expected this based on my trip in the Spring and having a similar flight from Vancouver which I booked on my own.  I tried getting even standby for an earlier flight that day but AA wouldn't do it because of how NCL booked it, but they accepted the luggage at 10 AM and I proceeded to the car rental counter to pick up the car I'd rented for some sightseeing.

14 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

It is generally more expensive to book a hotel through a cruise line. Typically, the cruise line will charge per person. And you’ll be limited in hotel choices.  To know for sure in any specific city, do the research and price it out.  

Not only do they charge per person, it is double occupancy so if solo you pay double for everything - the room plus the shuttles.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

plus the shuttles.

Is that only if using their room booking?  When I used the shuttles in 2019 I was only charged as one, though I didn't book a room through NCL.

20 minutes ago, hallux said:

Is that only if using their room booking?  When I used the shuttles in 2019 I was only charged as one, though I didn't book a room through NCL.

Just the hotel shuttles if you book through them - they price it as a package, airport to hotel, then hotel to the cruise ship. The regular airport to port shuttle that they offer is charged per person.

36 minutes ago, hallux said:

@trbarton to do a 3 day deviation they required you to book their hotel?  First - I didn't think 3 days was an option, I thought it was only 1or 2.  Second - I didn't think they required you to book hotel through NCL if you wanted a deviation, I certainly didn't need to as I stated earlier in the thread.

I've heard that NCL charges a per-person rate for the room rather than just a room rate, making their bookings cost double even if they're only booking one room for 2 people.

As for my experience with the air (keeping in mind my experience was in 2019 when it was "free or reduced" rather than BOGO) - I got flights that I expected, though certainly not exactly ideal but I knew what might happen.  I had a 6 AM flight from my home airport of Albany on the day before the cruise.  I was on the ground in LA by 11 AM.  Yes, they still booked as though we needed to be at the cruise terminal by 2 PM even though it was the day before. 

For the return flight I had a midnight flight from LAX on disembarkation day.  I expected this based on my trip in the Spring and having a similar flight from Vancouver which I booked on my own.  I tried getting even standby for an earlier flight that day but AA wouldn't do it because of how NCL booked it, but they accepted the luggage at 10 AM and I proceeded to the car rental counter to pick up the car I'd rented for some sightseeing.

I have to go through my T/A & when they inquired to book 3 days in advance I would have to pick their hotel which was around $1,000. 

I’m spoiled by Princess where I can pick whatever flight & time that I want plus their is no hotel involved. 

That’s why I’ve booked my own hotel & will choose my own flights. 

Thanks for everyone’s experiences. 

Tom😀