Recommendations for a Binocular for Alaska Cruise

danny8826

Hello,

We will be on the Majestic for an Alaska Northbound Cruise in a few week.  I'm looking for a binocular; something that is simple and easy to use and at a reasonable price (not more than $50).  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you in advance.

5 minutes ago, danny8826 said:

Hello,

We will be on the Majestic for an Alaska Northbound Cruise in a few week.  I'm looking for a binocular; something that is simple and easy to use and at a reasonable price (not more than $50).  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you in advance.

I've been using a 12x50 monocular on the last several cruises. It is simple, easy to use, and i don't think cost more than $50. I prefer it to binoculars.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, billco said:

I've been using a 12x50 monocular on the last several cruises. It is simple, easy to use, and i don't think cost more than $50. I prefer it to binoculars.

Do you have a brand that you can recommend?

There are several binocular links on the photography board.  Also there are lots of good binocular sites on the WEB.  I am a bit of a binocular snob but in my opinion a set of $50 binoculars will be junk.  If you can find a local place to buy them go there instead of buying on line so that you can check them out as the QC for cheap binoculars tends to be minimal.  If you buy them on line make sure that they are returnable.

I have no specific recommendations for binoculars at this price level but you don't want anything more powerful 8x as higher power binocs are hard to hold steady.  

I would disagree w Billco with regard to monoculars.  While they are more compact and easier to carry than binoculars, I find them harder to use and you don't get the 3d effect.  I would definitely diosagree with his purchase of 12x monoculars.  They will be hard to hold still and will definitely have a more narrow field of vision than 8x models.  That said I know birders who use monoculars and birders are fussy about their optics.  If you do decide to buy monoculars definitely try them before you buy them.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

If yo have one in your area try a Bass Pro Shops/ Cabellos where they will let you try them and see which one will work for you. Agree with using a monocular and $50.00 ones will be junk.

Agree that $50 binoculars will leave you disappointed. I bought a really good Bushnell used at a garage sale for a sweet price. Since you can't count on finding at a garage sale soon enough, either borrow or try used on Craigslist. If buying new, consider a monocular with attachment to your phone for photos.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

It is worth the investment to get good binoculars. DH got me compact Cannon 8x25 with an image stabilization button,  and I have happy used them on many cruises and other trips. No comparison to our previous set.

9 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

If buying new, consider a monocular with attachment to your phone for photos.

That's how I use mine. I am happy with it.

Gosky Titan 12X50 High Power Prism Monocular and Quick Smartphone Holder

I had been using a pair of 12x25 binoculars from Occer which I got from Amazon at cost $45.  They were satisfactory, especially being only 11.75 oz so easy to carry on shore excursions.  However, I've just ordered a used Nikon 10x42 from B&H Photo since I'll be doing a Panama Canal and then South America cruise at Christmas and then March and wanted to upgrade my optics without breaking the bank.  The used binocs cost $157, with a retail price of around $200. After reading the reviews and testimonials, I think I'm going to like them.  I'm hoping to see a lot of wildlife on these cruises so better optics was important to me.   

One caution.  I have my binoculars (about $125) sort of custom-focused.  I use my binoculars without my glasses, in order to press the eyepieces against my eye sockets.  I focus one barrel with the binocular's focus mechanism, and then I focus the other barrel with the separate focus ring.  Both barrels are then properly focused for my eyes.  But if I hand my wife the binoculars, the two barrels won't be focused properly for her.  

That is why I have two pairs.  

• Like 1

Others won't like this reply, but..........WalMart.  I could not find my good Nikon mini's 3 years ago right before our trip, so I started looking locally for something that wasn't going to cost a fortune.  I found a pair at WalMart that functioned great while I looked as far as I could see in different places in the store.  They were so cost effective that I bought a pair for my wife and a pair for my sister who was going with us.  They operated great!

Another bonus?  At WalMart I found small, m5-6" personal desk fans that operated on a USB cable for $4.99.  Our night stands on the ship had USB ports in them, so I bought three fans as well.  Nice and small for packing, no weight.  Still use one to this day!

Be it high end or budget the most important thing IMO is to carry and use binoculars on any scenic cruise especially Alaska. 

I was on 5/30/22 Ruby sailing and brought two binoculars.   My favorite Canon 12x36 image stabilised, very nice - very expensive.  My budget binos, Nikon 10x25 Sportstar (or similar priced Nikon) which would fit your budget and still provide great views.   Sure, I agree with some of the previous posters that budget binos don't have the quality optics,  wider field of view or the amazing but expensive image stabilisation but IMO there is a place for budget binos.   I always bring my Nikon 10x25's with me.  They are small, light, durable and fit in a coat pocket, backpack etc. 

Anytime I go outside on the Alaska cruise I bring coat and my small 10x25's and as the naturalist will tell you "the best side of the ship is the outside ''.  So be there with your binoculars.  Here are just a few of the many sights I saw on the 5/30 cruise with the 10x25's.

- Eagles roosting in the tall trees across from the pier in Ketchikan

- Several whale sightings in the inland passage.  No big breaches but some nice tails - greatly enhanced with my budget binos. 

- The wild life and waterfalls on the sail in and out of all the ports, particularly Skagway and Juneau. 

-  Glaciers.  Everyone wants to see big calving and I didn't see any big ones this trip - oh  well.   Much to my surprise I focused in at the base of the glaciers and saw several small calves with the 10x25's that most people didn't notice.  

Enjoy your Alaska cruise!   I sure did !!

HTH,

Rick

• Like 1