Urgent info needed

AWe are in Juneau on Monday the 20th f June and we are doing the whale watching and salmon bake. Here’s my question. I have a go pro 9, a iPhone 13 max with gimbal, and a canon 35mm with long range telephoto lens. If I can only bring two of those which two will be the best to bring?  

1 hour ago, kasowell2 said:

I posted this in the Alaska forum but this one is watched closely and I need info. We are in Juneau on Monday the 20th of June and we are doing the whale watching and salmon bake. Here’s my question. I have a go pro 9, a iPhone 13 max with gimbal, and a canon 35mm with long range telephoto lens. If I can only bring two of those which two will be the best to bring?  

Why only two? A long telephoto would be great for whale watching but what do you mean by long? You need 300 or more for whales. The iPhone 13 would be great for the salmon bake. I don’t see much use for the Go Pro. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

I posted this in the Alaska forum but this one is watched closely and I need info. We are in Juneau on Monday the 20th of June and we are doing the whale watching and salmon bake. Here’s my question. I have a go pro 9, a iPhone 13 max with gimbal, and a canon 35mm with long range telephoto lens. If I can only bring two of those which two will be the best to bring?  

Bring a raincoat and waterproof shoes.  Think winds and rain.  That should answer your "urgent" question.

I'm sure many have different opinion but if I had to leave one of the 2 behind I would leave the GoPro.  The Iphone 13 Max Pro has great, compact and easy to carry.   I've given my SLR and lenses to my son as I no longer relish carrying a big bag and all the equipment along anymore.

Depending on the tour you may or may not get up close to the whales or for that matter even see any.   We were luck on both getting up close and personal (within 20-30 feet) and in Prince Rupert Island they were breaching along side the ship and very close to the tenders. 

Not a great picture but was taken with a iPhone 13 Plus Max using Telephoto and some extra zoom.   I wanted the Classic  tail but my timing was off.

If you want to haul all your SLR equipment for the day It would probably be  good choice.

image.thumb.png.ca038a5c985238f052a0bc4f51ed837d.png

• Like 3

Alaska is about the only place I would bring an Interchangeable lens camera on a cruise because the wildlife whales and bears could be pretty far away. A 70-300 or 100-400 zoom would be good. OP is in Juneau today so I guess they already decided. They must have brought all that equipment onboard so they must have been deciding what to carry on excursions. An iPhone fits in a pocket and a bag for the camera with telephoto does not sound like a big deal to carry on a whale watching boat. I did that in Juneau. 

I'd go with the iPhone as the 13 Max Pro has a decent telephoto capability with a great deal easier handling.

A word of caution. On a whale watching tour out of Bar Harbor a number of years ago, an excited passenger whipped out her arm to point out a surfacing whale that I was just about to shoot, knocking my camera from my hands. Only my neck strap kept it from going overboard. So if you do use your iPhone, make sure that you have a wrist strap for the gimbal, just in case.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

Leave the GoPro behind.  The long lens on your Canon will come in handy for whales and any bird-in-flight photos. The iPhone 13 Max will handle your wide shots and do excellent video. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b699ceb0c3ab95e132418cd69976f21c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d14050af750bed65b186427e6bd9e6f2.jpeg

• Like 5

And keep a ziploc plastic bag closed over any camera to use when you're not taking pictures.  Water can splash into the boat onto your camera in a heartbeat from out of nowhere; happened to me on a catamaran in Hawaii, and I wasn't even at the edge of the boat.

34 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

And keep a ziploc plastic bag closed over any camera to use when you're not taking pictures.  Water can splash into the boat onto your camera in a heartbeat from out of nowhere; happened to me on a catamaran in Hawaii, and I wasn't even at the edge of the boat.

Whale watching in Alaska is not done from a catamaran. You don't get splashed.  The camera won't get spalshed. Quite possibly though it could be raining.  The boats have inside seating with large windows so you don't have to be out in the rain. Also most of my whale sightings were on the whale watch boat. In hindsight I would have skipped whale watching in Juneau. We didn't see that many on the whale watch boat.  We saw many whales in Alaska but most from the deck of our cruise ship. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Whale watching in Alaska is not done from a catamaran. You don't get splashed.  The camera won't get spalshed. Quite possibly though it could be raining.  The boats have inside seating with large windows so you don't have to be out in the rain. Also most of my whale sightings were on the whale watch boat. In hindsight I would have skipped whale watching in Juneau. We didn't see that many on the whale watch boat.  We saw many whales in Alaska but most from the deck of our cruise ship. 

We also saw more whales from the cruise ship. As for bears, they must have been on vacation.  The sign. "Bear Left" at the intersection was true.  I am glad I saw the bears at the local zoo the week before we went on the cruise.  

12 minutes ago, keesar said:

We also saw more whales from the cruise ship. As for bears, they must have been on vacation.  The sign. "Bear Left" at the intersection was true.  I am glad I saw the bears at the local zoo the week before we went on the cruise.  

We were lucky. There was a whale carcass in Glacier Bay and we saw a pack of brown bears feasting from the ship. 

38 minutes ago, keesar said:

Could not have seen the bears without binoculars or got a photo without a telephotos lens. Could have used longer than a 400. 

Bears feeding on Whale carcass

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

For heaven's sake, of course I know whale watching in Alaska is not done from a catamaran.  I've been to AK many times for many years.  I used my experience as an example about something that could happen, or rain as others have pointed out.

26 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

For heaven's sake, of course I know whale watching in Alaska is not done from a catamaran.  I've been to AK many times for many years.  I used my experience as an example about something that could happen, or rain as others have pointed out.

The worst thing I ever saw happen was going through the Panama Canal. Before phones with selfie cameras a lady handed her camera to another passenger on a boat excursion we were on thru the canal locks and asked the stranger to take her picture. The lady she handed it to accidentally dropped the camera and it went over the side into the canal. Really bad as not only as the camera but all the photos she had taken on the cruise we’re lost. I had bad luck on that excursion too as the shutter failed on my Canon SLR. Luckily I had a Powershot with me too. So having more than one camera with me meant it was not a total disaster.  When I got back home I sent the SLR off to Canon for repair and it came back repaired 6 weeks later. 

Edited by Charles4515