Carnival share purchase - down under

roscoe39

Has anyone on here from Australia or New Zealand particularly  have shares in Carnival? Looking at the pros and cons of buying some at the current rate just to get the shareholder benefits and wondering if you are able to easily claim your benefit, Currently if we purchase them outside of the US  ie you are a non resident alien purchasing outside the US they are held by the shareborkers in a "holding account"  and I believe you don't get the share certificates in your name and wondering if that means you can't claim the benefits.... 

just wondering if it is worthwhile unless the benefits are obtainable......

thanks,...

Yes we did - we bought in Jan 2020 LOL - and I now hate you because I've checked the  price!  I've just applied for  and got applied 2x $250 OBC for this year's cruises. 

We didn't have any other direct shareholdings so just went with https://www.hatchinvest.nz/  .Once you've bought - it takes a day or 2 depending on time zones from memory - you can login and down load a PDF of your account statement - that what's we send.  Just make sure that the name on  the account matches one of the people booked into the cabin. 

You don't get actual share certificates anymore (or not for US stocks anyway ) but the statement with this line in has given us no issue. Think it took about 2 weeks for the OBC to be confirmed and applied to our account 

2022-06-20 19_20_27-Re_ Fwd_ Shareholder benefit request - elisabeth.sowerbutts@gmail.com - Gmail an.png

Just recently I purchased my 100 shares at apx. US $9.50 per share (total of apx $950). Two days later I sent proof (Stock Transaction Confirmation) to sb@cunard.com and the next day I received email confirmation that the OBC had been applied.  So for each cruise, I will receive US $100 OBC (7 -13 day cruises); therefore, 9 cruises will almost pay for the stock shares, so the investment will pay for itself.

Edited by njguy_south
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, techteach said:

We looked at the cost/benefit and decided it wasn’t worth it to invest. Now, if you just want to be able to say you own stock…

100 Carnival shares currently cost GBP675 ish in today's depressed market, In the last 12 months I've had a 7 night cruise, two twelve night ones and I've a 14 night one upcoming

I've had or will have had 550 USD in OBC which seems like a pretty good ROI to me. Plus I've still got the shares as a long term investment if the market picks up again.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, rakkor said:

100 Carnival shares currently cost GBP675 ish in today's depressed market, In the last 12 months I've had a 7 night cruise, two twelve night ones and I've a 14 night one upcoming

I've had or will have had 550 USD in OBC which seems like a pretty good ROI to me. Plus I've still got the shares as a long term investment if the market picks up again.

I think its a no-brainer at current prices!  They used to pay dividiends too - not likely for a long while now though 

20 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

Has anyone on here from Australia or New Zealand particularly  have shares in Carnival? Looking at the pros and cons of buying some at the current rate just to get the shareholder benefits and wondering if you are able to easily claim your benefit, Currently if we purchase them outside of the US  ie you are a non resident alien purchasing outside the US they are held by the shareborkers in a "holding account"  and I believe you don't get the share certificates in your name and wondering if that means you can't claim the benefits.... 

just wondering if it is worthwhile unless the benefits are obtainable......

thanks,...

Australia here; I purchased through ANZ bank sharebroking. I don't believe any companies issue share certificates any more! The broking platform you use will enable you to log in and view your holdings - use a screen shot or whatever to send to Carnival to prove your ownership of same. The shares are certainly in your own name - to address your 'holding account' query.

I faxed my requests through to them when I had bookings pre-pandemic with proof of shareholding. I believe now there is the possibility of emailing the request.

There's a comprehensve thread regarding the logistics of buying and requesting OBC on the Australian and New Zealand cruisers board on this platform - a different one from the link posted by Host Hattie, above.

Best of luck.

19 hours ago, lissie said:

Yes we did - we bought in Jan 2020 LOL - and I now hate you because I've checked the  price!  I've just applied for  and got applied 2x $250 OBC for this year's cruises. 

We didn't have any other direct shareholdings so just went with https://www.hatchinvest.nz/  .Once you've bought - it takes a day or 2 depending on time zones from memory - you can login and down load a PDF of your account statement - that what's we send.  Just make sure that the name on  the account matches one of the people booked into the cabin. 

You don't get actual share certificates anymore (or not for US stocks anyway ) but the statement with this line in has given us no issue. Think it took about 2 weeks for the OBC to be confirmed and applied to our account 

2022-06-20 19_20_27-Re_ Fwd_ Shareholder benefit request - elisabeth.sowerbutts@gmail.com - Gmail an.png

Thanks Lissiie, that is exactly what I was after, I had looked at Hatch but I went with one of the banks I have an account with as I was able to speak to a broker rather than a bot with hatch. Order place, $usd9.60 at close of business so will see what they are when the market opens in a few hours. I have looked at buying them a number of times over the years but couldn't justify the $USD85, the $USD60 and then the $USD30 cost as I would look at it occasionally but at this price I have a lot of confidence in Carnival shares...

Let the games begin.....

9 hours ago, rakkor said:

thanks Rakkor, as I understand it you can use up to benefit only during the financial year and not keep pulling on the pot. I usually take one decent length cruise a year so the $250 once a year will be quite a windfall, if I thought that I could claim it multiple times a year...........that would really be something...especially as in a few years Im sure we will get dividends again as well.

16 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Australia here; I purchased through ANZ bank sharebroking. I don't believe any companies issue share certificates any more! The broking platform you use will enable you to log in and view your holdings - use a screen shot or whatever to send to Carnival to prove your ownership of same. The shares are certainly in your own name - to address your 'holding account' query.

I faxed my requests through to them when I had bookings pre-pandemic with proof of shareholding. I believe now there is the possibility of emailing the request.

There's a comprehensve thread regarding the logistics of buying and requesting OBC on the Australian and New Zealand cruisers board on this platform - a different one from the link posted by Host Hattie, above.

Best of luck.

thanks little fish, this is also what I needed to know I can now revel in my new status as "None Resident Alien"

.best regards...

Edited by roscoe39

10 hours ago, njguy_south said:

Just recently I purchased my 100 shares at apx. US $9.50 per share (total of apx $950). Two days later I sent proof (Stock Transaction Confirmation) to sb@cunard.com and the next day I received email confirmation that the OBC had been applied.  So for each cruise, I will receive US $100 OBC (7 -13 day cruises); therefore, 9 cruises will almost pay for the stock shares, so the investment will pay for itself.

great to know.......the old saying goes....if in doubt as Cruisecritic!

1 - You have to cruise enough to realize the OBC. 9 cruises to to ‘almost’ pay for the stock shares? I guess if you plan to do that many cruises, then go for it. I won’t do that many in my remaining life time.

2 - You are assuming the same investment in another stock would not give you a greater return. Carnival summary sheet didn’t look very good last time I checked, which I must admit was several months ago.

3 - You are hoping for future growth in Carnival stock. Given the current situation with cruise lines being ‘required’ to become more environmentally friendly, which will require a substantial capital outlay or reduced access to sensitive environments, I’m not sure it is the best place to place my dollars. I don’t think my broker would label this as “buy now.”

40 minutes ago, techteach said:

1 - You have to cruise enough to realize the OBC. 9 cruises to to ‘almost’ pay for the stock shares? I guess if you plan to do that many cruises, then go for it. I won’t do that many in my remaining life time.

2 - You are assuming the same investment in another stock would not give you a greater return. Carnival summary sheet didn’t look very good last time I checked, which I must admit was several months ago.

3 - You are hoping for future growth in Carnival stock. Given the current situation with cruise lines being ‘required’ to become more environmentally friendly, which will require a substantial capital outlay or reduced access to sensitive environments, I’m not sure it is the best place to place my dollars. I don’t think my broker would label this as “buy now.”

Doing 2 cruises this year - total of US$500 OBC - those of us  from down under don't -muck around with week long cruises - that's not  worth the 12-24 hours flying to time to the rest of the world.   

When we invested in CVL it was more like $40/share - so yes we've lost a lot of money . But it was money we were prepared to lose - it was never an investment - just a scheme to get OBC.  

For the OP buying at US$9.60 x 100 = US$960 - take 2 cruises a year at over 14 days - 50% return in one year - after 2 years the stock owes you nothing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roscoe39 said:

thanks Rakkor, as I understand it you can use up to benefit only during the financial year and not keep pulling on the pot. I usually take one decent length cruise a year so the $250 once a year will be quite a windfall, if I thought that I could claim it multiple times a year...........that would really be something...especially as in a few years Im sure we will get dividends again as well.

Think you'd better change the status of the idea to 'really something', Roscoe! If I'm understanding your post, you believe you can only use the benefit once per financial year? This is not the case. It may be this sentence that got you -

'

Only one onboard credit per shareholder-occupied stateroom.

I take that to mean that if two passengers are occupying the one cabin, there will only be one shareholder benefit of OBC applied to that cabin/those passengers on that particular booking. Suppose they get off the ship and travel around Sth America for a few weeks then get back on board a Carnival - or preferably a Cunard 😉 - ship, then they will have applied and received their OBC for their next adventure.

They (Carnival) renew the approval of the benefit, as a company to their shareholders, every financial year so I believe that is why they state that 'applications must be received by 23rd February, 2023'. That would be for this current (US) financial year which I understand runs 1st May to 30th April (?) in the USA.

So if you make two separate bookings for B2B, you can request OBC for each of them, as another example of how it works.

This, at  least, is my understanding of how it all works. I think it's a nice little perk - as if we needed any further encouragement to jump on a ship!

23 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

This, at  least, is my understanding of how it all works. I think it's a nice little perk - as if we needed any further encouragement to jump on a ship!

wow...ive reread it and I think by George shes got it!....I think you're right....that really does make it seem better and better at the current share price, although the only extra encouragement I have to get back on the ship is the sound of the all aboard whistle.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lissie said:

Doing 2 cruises this year - total of US$500 OBC - those of us  from down under don't -muck around with week long cruises - that's not  worth the 12-24 hours flying to time to the rest of the world.   

When we invested in CVL it was more like $40/share - so yes we've lost a lot of money . But it was money we were prepared to lose - it was never an investment - just a scheme to get OBC.  

For the OP buying at US$9.60 x 100 = US$960 - take 2 cruises a year at over 14 days - 50% return in one year - after 2 years the stock owes you nothing 

I think you mean us from down under don't muck around with happy clappy one week sails of hairy leg competitions and who can eat the most at a buffet cruises.

Anything less than 30 days at sea is barely worth packing your Louis Vuitton.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

Sorry Roscoe, you can keep applying for Shareholder benefit as long as you hold the shares, over many years assuming that Carnival keep allowing it

5 minutes ago, rakkor said:

Sorry Roscoe, you can keep applying for Shareholder benefit as long as you hold the shares, over many years assuming that Carnival keep allowing it

thanks Rakkor, have just found that out...so now a very happy Chappy......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

I think you mean us from down under don't muck around with happy clappy one week sails of hairy leg competitions and who can eat the most at a buffet cruises.

Anything less than 30 days at sea is barely worth packing your Louis Vuitton.

Exactly! And yes re getting the OBC more than once a year - I applied for our 2 cruises at the same time a few weeks ago  = and got both approved at the same time. 

Do note though you MUST apply before you get on board - they won't do it retrospectively. 

13 hours ago, lissie said:

Exactly! And yes re getting the OBC more than once a year - I applied for our 2 cruises at the same time a few weeks ago  = and got both approved at the same time. 

Do note though you MUST apply before you get on board - they won't do it retrospectively. 

thanks LIssie,

purchase order came in so now does that mean I have a right to help with the design of Queen Anne??? I think they need a hand....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lissie said:

Must apply at least 3 weeks prior to sailing according to their most recent advice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roscoe39 said:

thanks LIssie,

purchase order came in so now does that mean I have a right to help with the design of Queen Anne??? I think they need a hand....

LOL that's above my paid grade! 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

LOL that's above my paid grade! 

well the more people they can convince into travelling on that monstrosity, the more premium cabins left on the QV for us!

fingers crossed we open our ports soon Lissie....this landlubber thing doesn't suit me.