Shareholder Benefit: does it matter which passenger owns the stock?

rbxlady

Hi all, my husband and I are cruising NCL in a few months, and because I handled the booking, I'm listed as the primary passenger, and he's listed as secondary. Long story short, my investment account won't let me purchase individual stocks as opposed to funds. His investment account (with a different brokerage) allows him to do that, no problem, so I wanted him to just go ahead and buy 100 shares of NCLH to save me the trouble of opening a new account.

Anyway, I know OBCs are limited to one per cabin, but does NCL care if he owns the stock vs me if I'm the primary person on the reservation?

Thanks!

Edited by rbxlady
typos

You're fine, assuming you're both in the same cabin.  From the FAQ: "Only the stateroom that the shareholder is occupying will be eligible for the onboard credit."

• Like 1

I do our travel bookings so I’m always the lead guest, but all our investments are in DH’s name, including our NCLH stock.  We’ve never had trouble getting the OBC, and in fact lately they split it between us, half each, so it’s definitely a “per cabin” thing as long as the stockholder is in the cabin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rbxlady said:

Hi all, my husband and I are cruising NCL in a few months, and because I handled the booking, I'm listed as the primary passenger, and he's listed as secondary. Long story short, my investment account won't let me purchase individual stocks as opposed to funds. His investment account (with a different brokerage) allows him to do that, no problem, so I wanted him to just go ahead and buy 100 shares of NCLH to save me the trouble of opening a new account.

Anyway, I know OBCs are limited to one per cabin, but does NCL care if he owns the stock vs me if I'm the primary person on the reservation?

Thanks!

No problem at all! Our NCL stock is in my husbands name but each time we get the credit it shows as $50 credit for him and $50 for me (for a 7 day cruise) without any directions from us.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 6:44 PM, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

Yeah, that "per cabin" thing is interesting.  I was owner of the stock and sailed with a friend, not DH.  Split between the 2 of us for OBC.  Ha,ha!

This is interesting! I would think it’s just applied to the cabin as a whole and not per specific person, but we’ll see how the credit is applied.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 3:44 PM, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

Yeah, that "per cabin" thing is interesting.  I was owner of the stock and sailed with a friend, not DH.  Split between the 2 of us for OBC.  Ha,ha!

I own the stock and was traveling with my mom. They did split my 100 between the two of us. We were able to have the desk transfer the 50$ to me. It just took a form she signs.

6 hours ago, Readytotravel0731 said:

I own the stock and was traveling with my mom. They did split my 100 between the two of us. We were able to have the desk transfer the 50$ to me. It just took a form she signs.

That's good that they were able to transfer it to you. It can be tricky when you're not traveling with someone with whom you share finances.

I ended up submitting the shareholder benefit form late last week with my husband's brokerage account and got the OBC early this week, split between him and me ($50 each), which is fine for us, since the money is all coming from the same place.

I find it interesting that they split the OBC since my only experience with shareholder's OBC previously has been with 3 different lines all owned by the Carnival Corporation, and they do not split the OBC even when the stock is owned by both passengers jointly.

(Sometimes when buying excursions pre-cruise they will allow it to be used by the "other" passenger, but it really depends on what customer service representative you get on the phone line.)