Carnival branded PandO testing? no testing on one ship--will Princess follow

dreaminofcruisin

Interesting way to 'try out' no longer requiring testing.

If PandO---a Carnival brand feels it is successful, will Princess follow?

Carnival-Owned Cruise Line Temporarily Drops Pre-Departure Testing (cruisehive.com)

Also, in case you missed it, the CDC is evaluating cruise ship pre-boarding testing:

https://www.cruisehive.com/the-cdc-is-reevaluating-testing-for-cruise-ships/74496

What do you think Princess will do?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Interesting way to 'try out' no longer requiring testing.

If PandO---a Carnival brand feels it is successful, will Princess follow?

Carnival-Owned Cruise Line Temporarily Drops Pre-Departure Testing (cruisehive.com)

Also, in case you missed it, the CDC is evaluating cruise ship pre-boarding testing:

https://www.cruisehive.com/the-cdc-is-reevaluating-testing-for-cruise-ships/74496

What do you think Princess will do?

I think a 7 day cruise will not be a grest test, because how many will test positive once they are home?  Will they test at the end of the cruise to see how many are positive?  Doubt it.  I’m glad I’m not on a test ship.

This may help them wash their hands of covid + responsibility.  They don’t have any responsibility once you’ve disembarked.  The only ones they will be responsible for are those ill or symptoms during the 7 day cruise. If you get it once OB, 4-5 days later….the cruise is almost over.  

What’s next?  Will they drop covid protection on ships and insurance?

Interesting….

• Like 1

Playing the devil's advocate. I have just tested positive for Covid, I was certain it was just a head cold, slightly sore throat and runny nose. My daughter insisted I take a test and it was positive. We are fully vaccinated and boosted; we still wear masks in stores etc. Believe me I am a rule follower but would have gone on a cruise this week if I had been booked.

Wouldn't it be prudent for Princess to test and exclude me? As a potential fellow passenger, wouldn't you prefer that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Playing the devil's advocate. I have just tested positive for Covid, I was certain it was just a head cold, slightly sore throat and runny nose. My daughter insisted I take a test and it was positive. We are fully vaccinated and boosted; we still wear masks in stores etc. Believe me I am a rule follower but would have gone on a cruise this week if I had been booked.

Wouldn't it be prudent for Princess to test and exclude me? As a potential fellow passenger, wouldn't you prefer that?

'where' did you catch the 'rona? - on a cruise ship?

7 minutes ago, voljeep said:

'where' did you catch the 'rona? - on a cruise ship?

No, not sure where, however we went to granddaughter's Softball tournament and first night was a team meeting in a crowded pizza place. No mask at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, if cruisers are complaining about the current service staff level, I can't imagine how much more riskier is for the crew to catch Covid and then go into quarantine which would bring the service staff level even lower if no test for PAX is required...It is absolutely "bring it on" in the truest sense!

Edited by ebeluga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

Well, if cruisers are complaining about the current service staff level, I can't imagine how much more riskier is for the crew to catch Covid and then go into quarantine which would bring the service staff level even lower if no test for PAX is required...It is absolutely "bring it on" in the truest sense!

Unless they stop the quarantine? Then everyone gets it, especially the next sailing. Yikes!

• Like 1

The whole thing is absurd at this point. There are so many points of contact that aren't testing at all from air travel, pre hotel stays, shore excursions / diy shore visits, etc.

People live and work in close proximity all of the time - I don't have to get a COVID test to go to work where I interact closely with dozens and dozens of people every day. People who go to stay at an all inclusive resort don't need to test, the list goes on.

At this point I would say that at least 50% of everyone I know has gotten COVID at some point, and that's only the people who had symptoms or close contacts and tested - I bet the number is much higher in reality. We'll all triple vaccinated at this point, can we just give up on this testing charade already? 

From the article linked above "Yet, since the phased restart of cruise travel in July 2021, there have been no critical emergency situations where any ship has been overwhelmed with the need to evacuate guests due to a crippling outbreak of COVID-19."

Edited by Ace_Caliente
  • Like 2

P&O(&Cunard) operate under different regime to other brands.

Eg. the pre cruise test does not have to be supervised.

These 5 trial cruises all 7n to Norway who will have probably had to agree the change.

Not sure what they will be measuring, mainly UK pax and rates on the rise.

Could be an experiment to get as may contact as possible to see how many get sick enough to need medical treatment.

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

technically I think you’d fail the health assessment due to the sore throat and runny nose?

Testing is just a "snapshot in time". Here are 2 scenarios:

1. Four days prior to the cruise I get infected, but when tested three days prior, there isn't enough of the virus for the antigen test to pick up. I get on the cruise and I'm positive.

2. Three days prior to the cruise I test negative. Two days prior I get infected. I get on the cruise and I'm positive.

Just because everyone has a negative test doesn't mean they're really negative. It doesn't make me feel safer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bollycats said:

Testing is just a "snapshot in time". Here are 2 scenarios:

1. Four days prior to the cruise I get infected, but when tested three days prior, there isn't enough of the virus for the antigen test to pick up. I get on the cruise and I'm positive.

2. Three days prior to the cruise I test negative. Two days prior I get infected. I get on the cruise and I'm positive.

Just because everyone has a negative test doesn't mean they're really negative. It doesn't make me feel safer.

Of course it’s not going to catch all situations, but it will capture those in the period before that, so you can’t really ignore the risk mitigation that gives.  Despite it obviously not being foolproof. 😊

• Like 2