PCR Covid Testing For Very Young Children

Havok

Wife called me freaking out that she is finding it impossible to schedule covid testing for our 2 and 4 yr old for our July 9th cruise.  

Many medical providers have said as of June 15th, they no longer test for travel (of course, I guess you can lie and just say the kid was exposed).

Another issue us they have said they do not do testing under 4-5 years of age.

Others can't guarantee a turn around time of 72 hours.   

Is this a Connecticut thing?  I didn't think it would be so difficult and now its another thing to worry about.   For those with the same issue what are you doing?

Can't you use one of the postal systems? Don't you have the private labs in the US that carry them out for a fee? There are no end of them in the UK and Europe.
Your airports have rock up testing if there really is nothing else available.

It has to be a PCR test for young children and even paying for the test we are having trouble getting all the boxes checked.  The airport we are flying out of does not have it (its very small) and Orlando airport we are arriving late at night and the testing center they have is closed.  

We are flying in two days before the cruise but wont have a car in Orlando.  So was not planning to scramble for testing there.  Ubering around needing two car seats is expensive.  (We are not bringing our own so the Uber driver needs to have and supply two of them)

Maybe call your doctor and see if they have suggestions on where you can get this done. 

I know you said they won’t order it but they may have a suggestion 

Edited by aggie311

Hi - Fellow New Englander here from RI

Do you have a Passport Health near you? This is where you would go if you needed any vaccines or medications prior to travel (Africa, etc.). My husband recently had to get vaccines for travel to Panama and Africa, and they offered PCR tests for travel with a 30-45 min result time. He did have to pay (I don't remember the cost) but may be worth it if you cannot find any other options.

Good luck! 

12 hours ago, Havok said:

It has to be a PCR test for young children and even paying for the test we are having trouble getting all the boxes checked.  The airport we are flying out of does not have it (its very small) and Orlando airport we are arriving late at night and the testing center they have is closed.  

We are flying in two days before the cruise but wont have a car in Orlando.  So was not planning to scramble for testing there.  Ubering around needing two car seats is expensive.  (We are not bringing our own so the Uber driver needs to have and supply two of them)

I'm not sure why you and/or your wife believe you need a PCR test.

My Apologies ...See important info in post # 7 below!!!

Edited by ggTexasGal
See important info in post # 7!!!

7 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

I'm not sure why you and/or your wife believe you need a PCR test.

(see context copied directly from NCL website   ***note: I made important part BOLD/underlined):  

• All guests above the age of 2 will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or NAAT test (I.e. PCR) result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test:
    • Within 2 days prior to embarkation date for cruises departing from a U.S. port
    • Within 3 days prior to embarkation date for cruises departing from a non-U.S. port
    • If embarking from a Canadian port, antigen test is required within 2 days prior to embarkation date, or 3 days prior for NAAT test (I.e. PCR)
    • Guests must bring digital or printed proof of negative test results.

You need to go further down the page you've quoted to where it specifies that unvaccinated children under 12 require a PCR test. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You need to go further down the page you've quoted to where it specifies that unvaccinated children under 12 require a PCR test. 

NCL sure does have a way of splitting-up important information!

• Like 1

Try doing a google search for PCR ( either rapid or regular) near "your zip code".  You may need to wade through the options and make some phone calls.  I'm guessing you're just going to have to accept that you'll be paying for it.  I've also seen "concierge services" where they come to your home to test you though I can only imagine what that costs.  I'm guessing that none of the proctored home tests are PCR, which is unfortunate.  I'm in NJ and some of the local pharmacies do testing but it can cost from $70-$200.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, Redsky5292 said:

Not sure what part of CT you are in but Hartford Healthcare seems to have Covid testing available: https://hartfordhealthcare.org/health-wellness/coronavirus/testing  I did a dummy appointment at CVS and since it is for travel it would cost $139 per test.

We have tried Griffin Hospital and Yale.  Griffin hospital does not test children under 4 yrs old.

Yale wont do it at all for travel.  We have to say he is sick and call the morning of our flight and hope we get an appointment.  It shouldn't be a problem but nothing I can schedule in advance like I can for the rest of the family.

35 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Do they do PCR tests?  The OP said they have to do a PCR test on the children , not antigen.  If they also do PCR tests that would certainly be a very good option.

Yes they do.
On the drop down top right of the website

image.png.e9a4b2d13e6a6b90c64c7b3e84a79a6d.png

Edited by ziggyuk

I went to an out of pocket testing site, it was $150 for the 2 day turn around, but I shelled out $300 for an hour turn around time, just for piece of mind. I did contact my pediatrician and he said he would order one for us if we couldn't find a place who would test him. Rapid testing at the port and on board were paid for by Norwegian. I didn't trust that the mail would carry the at home test in time.

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

What about NCLs recommended partner Inspire Diagnostics, they do postal tests.

https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/

2 hours ago, goldmom said:

Do they do PCR tests?  The OP said they have to do a PCR test on the children , not antigen.  If they also do PCR tests that would certainly be a very good option.

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

Yes they do.
On the drop down top right of the website

image.png.e9a4b2d13e6a6b90c64c7b3e84a79a6d.png

1 hour ago, goldmom said:

Wow, thanks for that info!  That's great to know.  Hopefully the OP can use this.

Just to add the costs and process:

image.thumb.png.4ef166a56bc74453a3c0644fb9c66bac.png

Process for PCR test:

image.thumb.png.1b9cbc5fab3ef694104d51a1ff2ecff2.png

That test has to be shipped back to their lab for analysis...note the last graphic with the picture of a truck and the last instruction "Return Test" .

There's no way you can guarantee getting the test result back in time for the cruise. You might...you might not. I wouldn't risk it.

Edited by njhorseman

16 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

That test has to be shipped back to their lab for analysis...note the last graphic with the picture of a truck and the last instruction "Return Test" .

There's no way you can guarantee getting the test result back in time for the cruise. You might...you might not. I wouldn't risk it.

That's too bad.  Thank you for pointing that out.

Good luck to the OP, hope they manage to get the tests done.

I've never had a problem with our postal service here but always have a backup plan just in case, such as making a dash to an airport.

It's not just about the postal service. What if the lab has a backlog of tests and takes an extra day to process the test?  And dashing to an airport might not be an answer either because not all airports have testing facilities and even if they do who's to say they're going to be open at the hour you need them to.