Norwegian Fjords Cruising Question

NewSalty

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Yes, identical length. I presume you sailed down the length of the fjord, then spun the ship to return. Much of the early part of the fjord is narrower than the ship was long - the 'basin' at the west end is about twice as wide as the ship is long, but would need the use of thrusters to do an in-place spin to change direction. 🍺🥌

Yes, it was a thrilling experience, an incredible slow 180° spin that appeared to have little room for error. Captain Carl and his crew were amazing. Oceania Riviera and Marina are our preferred cruise ships but that all-Norway trip offered an unbeatable itinerary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the more ports the better said:

We are on the July 23 ending in Reykjavik, you can also continue to London.  The itinerary looks amazing!  I’ve always wanted to see polar bears!

If you take the short sailing to Tromoso, they have a good sized airport with direct flights to London, Oslo, Zurich, Munich, Frankfurt ….  I looked at doing the shorter sailing and was surprised at how convenient the flights were.

Good to know! Thank you. I just figured there'd be only short hops to Oslo. (and there's no train service!)

On 6/23/2022 at 8:04 PM, NewSalty said:

We just booked a Norway cruise on Sirena that includes a stop in Alesund, followed by a day of cruising the "Norwegian Sea", and a following day arrival at 11 am in Hammerfest.

My question is this -  is it likely that that "sea day" will include cruising the Trollfjord/Geiranger?

Hi

We visited Norway on board Nautica in 2014(I know!)  it was a 20 day voyage (path of the midnight sun) We anchored at Hellesylt  in the morning and sailed to Geirangerfjord in the afternoon. 

What is the name of your voyage please? Then I can find your route.

best regards

josie

11 hours ago, BenMurphy said:

Hi

We visited Norway on board Nautica in 2014(I know!)  it was a 20 day voyage (path of the midnight sun) We anchored at Hellesylt  in the morning and sailed to Geirangerfjord in the afternoon. 

What is the name of your voyage please? Then I can find your route.

best regards

josie

Not sure of the name, but it's an Aug. 7, 2024 departure from Oslo on the Sirena.

We're O addicts, and sailing on Sirena's Whimsical Europe in September, minus St. Petersburg, of course.  We have sailed the Baltic before, on a b2b on Seabourn's Quest.  The first leg of that magical experience was Copenhagen to Nordkapp and return.  The definite highlight was the Captain's almost impossible feat of edging the beautiful Quest into Trollfjord (he had to wait till the wind dropped sufficiently).  The brief adventure was amazing:  sailing so close to the vertical walls with their beautiful flora that we could almost trail our fingers along the rocks.  How he turned on a coin in the basin at the end, I to this day do not know, but the entire experience was worth every heartbeat and drawn breath.  If you are offered the chance, do not miss it.  

• Thanks 1

Norway has implemented environmental requirements that limit older ships access into the "deeper" fjiords such as Geiranger and Flam. Norway is on our bucket list for next year so our selection of cruise line is dependent upon this factor. We're hoping to take our 1st Oceania cruise soon, but that will probably wait until at least fall of next year. Holland America has some outstanding Norway itineraries so leaning in that direction for spring/early summer.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 8:19 PM, Tranquility Base said:

When we cruised to Geiranger (not on Oceania) we tendered in to Hellesylt and did a full day tour to rejoin the ship which had continued on to Geiranger.

It was a great day and we would happily do this again.

Does Oceania do this ?

Did the same on Regent. Was a spectacular Day of Hiking