Why isn't Zuiderdam in Skagway today?

quack2

A cruise blogger on You Tube mentioned there was a rock slide that affected docking in Skagway that damage one of the docks. Very lucky no one was walking along the area. Blogger mentioned some ship had to tender in and one ship elected to skip port. 

So maybe this event caused some shifts in ports?

Interesting. Skagway's ship schedule lists only two ships in port today, Zuiderdam and Norwegian Spirit. The Z was to be at Railroad Dock Forward, and the Spirit at Railroad Dock Aft.   Both docks are at the foot of a cliff.     

2 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Interesting. Skagway's ship schedule lists only two ships in port today, Zuiderdam and Norwegian Spirit. The Z was to be at Railroad Dock Forward, and the Spirit at Railroad Dock Aft.   Both docks are at the foot of a cliff.     

The Railroad Dock was damaged.  From photos, it seemed the damage was at the far end of the dock (the water end, not the land/city end).

At least no one was hurt.

It wasn't clear if there was a ship right there that was a bit damaged, but one report seemed to indicate that there was at least a bit of damage... but I'm *not* sure about that. There were no photos of the ship in the report that I saw.

Something similar happened years ago, and that time, a worker was apparently swept away in the landslide.  At least nothing like that happened this time.  (But... is this a safe area?  There could have been more people standing right there... then or now!)

GC

Thanks for the replies.  I was there last Saturday and saw the results of the previous larger slide.  I hope they get things fixed soon.  The merchants and excursion vendors in Skagway don't need any more problems.

• Like 1