Would RCL have bought scrapped Genting cruise ship if pre pandemic?

It is really a shame that the new Genting World Dream cruise ship that was 80% complete is heading to the scrapyard and being sold for metal and parts. 
At 208,000 tons and watching the videos, it looked like it would be a fantastic ship. I know all the cruise lines are having financial difficulties right now because of the shutdown and pandemic, but do you think RCL would have bought this ship instead of it being scrapped if they were in a better financial situation? 

44 minutes ago, tx121 said:

It is really a shame that the new Genting World Dream cruise ship that was 80% complete is heading to the scrapyard and being sold for metal and parts. 
At 208,000 tons and watching the videos, it looked like it would be a fantastic ship. I know all the cruise lines are having financial difficulties right now because of the shutdown and pandemic, but do you think RCL would have bought this ship instead of it being scrapped if they were in a better financial situation? 

The one that is almost completed they are still trying to sell. The sister ship that is being scrapped is a half finished hull. The problem with another line buying the almost completed ship is the design is for the Asian market and would not fit into RCL, NCLs or Carnivals fleet etc without a lot of modification. So the liquidators have not yet. found a buyer. So it may end up being scrapped too. I don’t think RCL would have bought it pre pandemic because it would not have fit in with their fleet without expensive modification. They would rather build from scratch. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

…The problem with another line buying the almost completed ship is the design is for the Asian market and would not fit into RCL, NCLs or Carnivals fleet etc without a lot of modification.

Is there really that big of a difference in a ship that’s made for the Asian market? I know the Wonder was built for the Asian market, but came to Fort Lauderdale for her first sailings. When I was on her I didn’t really see any big difference that would stand out. I know there was some gambling room that I think was an invite only which Royals regular ships don’t have. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Is there really that big of a difference in a ship that’s made for the Asian market?

Specifically for  these ships - yes. They are not built to the classification standards for western sailings, without major (and expensive) alterations, they'd never pass the coastguard inspections or be able to be insured. That's the reason no one is showing an interst in purchasing them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Is there really that big of a difference in a ship that’s made for the Asian market? I know the Wonder was built for the Asian market, but came to Fort Lauderdale for her first sailings. When I was on her I didn’t really see any big difference that would stand out. I know there was some gambling room that I think was an invite only which Royals regular ships don’t have. 

A big difference is that on Wonder there are only 60 full suites while on the rest of OA class ships there are over 100.  I'm not sure Royal would have eliminated that many full suites had she been designed for the North American market.