Explorer NOT going to AB but now CF - Tropical Storm

You guys got me sweating!! Booked on Allure July 9th to Aruba & Curacao.

This is our second attempt at Aruba, we sailed on Odyssey over Christmas and were denied Aruba and Curacao due to covid outbreak on the ship.

*biting nails* Let's hope for the best!

I would be disappointed for sure, but I sure as heck would not want to go near a hurricane! Jamaica is our least favorite port, but we love Coco Cay. We’d stay onboard in Jamaica and enjoy the pool! 

Edited by SchoolNurseMom

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance of any type of compensation for port fees?  I am pretty sure port charges are more in Aruba and Curacao than the ports that Royal owns right???  I realize that itineraries can change and that is a risk when cruising this time of year but like others have said take away 2 great ports and substitute with your own ports?  Doesn't make for the best vacation.  Anyone ever have any luck arguing this case with Royal?  I would be happy with just some OBC for the next cruise!

On 6/28/2022 at 12:41 PM, yankeefanjenn said:

You guys got me sweating!! Booked on Allure July 9th to Aruba & Curacao.

This is our second attempt at Aruba, we sailed on Odyssey over Christmas and were denied Aruba and Curacao due to covid outbreak on the ship.

*biting nails* Let's hope for the best!

Let us know if you get to go to A and C 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Tljcruiser said:

Any chance of any type of compensation for port fees?  I am pretty sure port charges are more in Aruba and Curacao than the ports that Royal owns right???  I realize that itineraries can change and that is a risk when cruising this time of year but like others have said take away 2 great ports and substitute with your own ports?  Doesn't make for the best vacation.  Anyone ever have any luck arguing this case with Royal?  I would be happy with just some OBC for the next cruise!

Generally they do not give any OBC for changes in ports due to weather unless the cruise has to be shortened

7 hours ago, Tljcruiser said:

I am pretty sure port charges are more in Aruba and Curacao than the ports that Royal owns right?

The port charges at RCI private destinations don't depend on ownership - they are set by the country/port. Curacao charges are likely less than Bahamas.

6 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

Generally they do not give any OBC for changes in ports due to weather unless the cruise has to be shortened

Compensation for missing any port usually doesn't depend on anything but the diff in cost between the time booked and the date of the miss.

If you experience interruptions to your vacation, check your Traveler's Insurance for inconvenience coverage. Some will pay a claim for weather related diversions.. some only compensate for any non-refundable confirmed (and paid for) activities you lost out on, while some will just have a flat payout (once per coverage period). Like I think one time AIG plan I had paid $250 for us missing our ports of call. This was the max per plan, not per island we missed. If you don't have this on your standard insurance you buy, look at your options for travel insurance in the future - goes far beyond just missing flights, or getting sick on some policies.

• Like 1

I'm amazed that someone expects OBC for missing a port and/or changing a port because of a storm. The ship is the destination, and it goes places, and if those places decide to have storms, or they decide to deny entry of the ship, it moves someplace else, it is in the contract

29 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I'm amazed that someone expects OBC for missing a port and/or changing a port because of a storm. The ship is the destination, and it goes places, and if those places decide to have storms, or they decide to deny entry of the ship, it moves someplace else, it is in the contract

Lets be crystal clear here, I am the OP, not once did I even mention OBC or any compensation in my initial post. 😎

it was informative to let folks know we were missing two very nice ports, that’s all, no angle 

Happy Days!

Anyone want to turn this into a tipping thread 😃

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

We received some port fees and taxes back on folio $15.45 each

We did not pursue any compensation or OBC.

Maybe some did.

Happy Days!

We did not receive anything back other than refund of a booked tour.   We also did not pursue any compensation. I was just curios if anyone else had and had any luck.  Not really expecting anything but would have been pleasantly surprised if it happened and wanted to inquire if it was even a thing!   

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Compensation for missing any port usually doesn't depend on anything but the diff in cost between the time booked and the date of the miss.

Maybe that is where the op's $15 obc came from! We didn't have anything out of the ordinary on our account other than a $107 obc from a price drop disappearing from our account.  That took over 45 minutes at guest services and a shore side call to straighten out, but that was week 2 not the week the ports were changed.