Currency Conversion Aboard Ship?

ncstatefan

Will be traveling to several European countries in October aboard Island.  We are planning to use mostly credit cards but will take some Euros with us as I know that there will be some need for local restaurants, tips, rest rooms, etc.  I cannot remember whether ships provide currency conversion at the passenger service desk or not - anyone know?

Even if they do it is not a good idea to use it

Bring your atm card and withdraw euros from local atms to get the best exchange rate

I don't know where you fly in but many European airports have atms you can use

Edited by riffatsea

33 minutes ago, ncstatefan said:

Will be traveling to several European countries in October aboard Island.  We are planning to use mostly credit cards but will take some Euros with us as I know that there will be some need for local restaurants, tips, rest rooms, etc.  I cannot remember whether ships provide currency conversion at the passenger service desk or not - anyone know?

This from a friend who lives in the U.K.

I carry very little cash these days and use it even less.

During the original Covid outbreak we were encouraged to use contactless card payments and they can be used just about anywhere now. Even ice cream sellers in the middle of nowhere will accept them.

I would suggest that say £50 in cash would be more than sufficient which could be topped up from an ATM if need be. I use my current (checking) account card to get currency in the US without any problem.

We were in Spain on a cruise last year and they were more than happy to accept my Mastercard for a beer and a coffee so again €20 or €30 should be more than enough.

As far as tips, there is little tipping in Europe.

Agree with riffatsea.   Passenger Service "may" have some non-USD for exchange but they are not a bank and inventory is limited and not guaranteed.  

Euros are very easily obtained upon arrival.  For more exotic currencies, I have previously, ordered via a financial institution that ships via USPS, FedEX, UPS, etc.   

Thanks so much.  One of the biggest reasons I always check with CC daily many weeks before a cruise is that if I have a legitimate question, there are always fellow cruise enthusiasts who will provide an answer

• Like 1