Alaska, Aug 3, 2022. Public Broadcasting

swamom

These programs are done by Regent in conjunction with Artful Travelers, a PBS/NPR activity. You can read about the specific programs on the AT web site at Artful Travelers – Art and Travel Adventures.

There will be an extensive schedule of programs on-board that all can attend.  As described on the AT web site, you can register (at no cost) for other capacity-controlled events which will also take place during the cruise.

While you can sign up for the cruise through the AT web site, you don't have to in order to participate in the programs.

Edited by Portolan

We happened to luck into an AT cruise several years ago with a panel of documentary filmmakers.   It was the most interesting cruise ever.  We were invited to all the events, dined with the filmmakers, and had very engaging conversations.  It was one of our most memorable cruises.

I will again note that while all on-board will have access to the presentations in the theater, there will be smaller activities including invitations to dine with the presenters if you specifically register (at no charge) for the program.  These special events will not be listed in the daily program.  You'll get invitation cards like you get for the Seven Seas Party.  For the Commemorating the World Wars Spotlight on Voyager in August we have it listed as a pre-selected shore excursion on the day we sail.  The Artful Travelers web site provides the code to ask for.

While you can wait until you board to register, the capacity for these extra events may have been reached.

We have done these AT voyages before and they are great, even without the special events.

Edited by Portolan

Reference my Post #4, and to emphasize Portolan's comment:   

For any "Spotlight" program, on any ship--don't be left in the Dark.

Assure you are totally "onboard" by checking the Pre-Selected Shore Excursions section of that booking document furnished either directly from Regent; via your TA, or both.  The "Spotlight" should show up as a separate entry, together with any other shore excursion(s) you may have booked.

If not--make sure it does by contacting your TA, or Regent ASAP.  There is capacity control as to accessing "Spotlight" special events which are in addition to general Theater presentations open to all. 

GOARMY!

Those of us from outside the USA on board what turned out to be an Artful Travelers cruise some years ago found it all to be rather exclusive and had a similar experience to those travelling with a large private group present (which is what it was, effectively).  Venues were booked for exclusive events, the speakers targeted their presentations solely to a US audience and whilst we wouldn't actively avoid an Artful Travelers cruise,  it would need to be a very particular itinerary for us to choose one of them.  We suggested to Regent that they highlight such cruises very clearly so that we'd know what to expect in future.  Yes, it's great to be part of a special interest group but not so great to be on the outside looking in.

• Like 3

@Gilly im sorry that was your experience.   We booked this cruise late, had no idea it was an AT cruise but the sign up for events was pretty straight forward.  I can certainly see how it could be perceived as exclusive, as we felt very special to be included.  Our documentarians focused on a range of topics…from nature to psychic busting…..it was all very interesting.    I think you are correct in that these cruise, as well as all special interest cruises should be well identified.  

13 hours ago, Gilly said:

Those of us from outside the USA on board what turned out to be an Artful Travelers cruise some years ago found it all to be rather exclusive and had a similar experience to those travelling with a large private group present

Being on one of these AT "special interest" cruises later this year, we hope we have a more inclusive experience.

The focus is Hollywood, so maybe there will be an an acknowledgement of the numerous Hollywood blockbusters that are filmed in UK studios 😉

13 hours ago, Gilly said:

Yes, it's great to be part of a special interest group but not so great to be on the outside looking in.

We realised soon after booking that it was a special interest cruise and signed up early for the Spotlight programme of events, so we should be "in the tent🙂

We will report back during or after the cruise as to whether the special events enhance our enjoyment 

I think Hollywood is pretty universal, isn't it  @flossie009 ?  You should be ok with that - and anyway, you're prepared!  I'm sure your experience will be very different from ours too, @forgap.

I just looked in my notebook and find it was Miami to Lima in 2014 and was hosted/presented by a group of people from PBS/NPR.  Thankfully Terry Breen was also a speaker on that cruise so all was not lost!  I also note that although I was certainly critical in my (personal) notes, particularly of the large groups, in my blog I was rather more enthusiastic.   My comments last evening might best be tempered  by the fact that I'd just driven three hours on a busy motorway.  When I came to check into the hotel where I had been advised that a room awaited me, in fact the room had not been booked - and the hotel was full (as were all the neighbouring hotels too).  So my mood was not terribly positive when I finally sat down and caught up with  a few favourite sites like this one - I apologise for a grumpier than usual post, then!!  (I finally agreed to stay in a room without a working door lock, secured with the chair - not great but better than my car!)   

You'll gather that I survived, too 😛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gilly said:

You'll gather that I survived, too 😛

….and so glad you did!  You had every reason to be grumpy!  Reminds me of the time my husband was on a boys trip in the south of France.  He and Marc don’t believe in planning.  They were in a more remote region and decided to call it a night, finally found a hotel which was full up - along with every hotel within an hour of the town.  The reason?  The regional beauty pageant.   So they slept in the tiny rental car.  My husband has chronic insomnia except when the venue is uncomfortable (like an airport lounge, a plane, a train, a waiting room, etc.). He slept like a baby.  Marc, not so much!  

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 8:10 AM, flossie009 said:

Being on one of these AT "special interest" cruises later this year, we hope we have a more inclusive experience.

The focus is Hollywood, so maybe there will be an an acknowledgement of the numerous Hollywood blockbusters that are filmed in UK studios 😉

We realised soon after booking that it was a special interest cruise and signed up early for the Spotlight programme of events, so we should be "in the tent🙂

We will report back during or after the cruise as to whether the special events enhance our enjoyment 

How do we sign up for the Spotlight program of events? We're booked on the Hollywood cruise in October and interested in learning more!

22 minutes ago, rudedoggy87 said:

How do we sign up for the Spotlight program of events? We're booked on the Hollywood cruise in October and interested in learning more!

Ask your TA to sign you up.  If you booked through Regent, then you would go to Regent directly.  I don't think you can do it online.

rudedoggy87:  

Appears we will be Mariner shipmates in October.  Suggest you access that specific Mariner Roll Call for more info. on this "Spotlight" opportunity.  Also consider adding your name(s) on the sign-up for our informal Meet and Mingle on 10/05. 

But, RIGHT NOW--

As SusieQft suggested:  Alert your TA pronto.  And/or telephone Regent directly tomorrow (Tuesday).  From previous experience(s) aboard Regent, these "Spotlight" offerings include general lecture-style presentations in the Theater--open to all guests; and specific smaller "events" limited to those who have signed-up.  Such are capacity-controlled.    

Then, you can verify your status as being fully-"onboard" that particular Spotlight event, as it will show up as a separate entry on Cruise Documents on the "Your Pre-Selected Shore Excursions" page. 

We have enjoyed such "Spotlights", which are offered on a limited number of cruises, with themes ranging from History to Art.  

See you in early October.  

GOARMY!

Jim and Sue

• Like 1