Deliver goodie bags

I have a group going on my birthday cruise. Everyone is in a total of 6 different cabins, 4 of the cabins are in a row (the other 2 cabins, I am not sure where they’re located). Can I have small goodie bags delivered to everyone’s cabin? In my perfect world, they would be delivered on the first day/night of the cruise. How would I go about doing this if it’s possible?

Thank you for your help!

12 minutes ago, Kruisn'Kay said:

I have a group going on my birthday cruise. Everyone is in a total of 6 different cabins, 4 of the cabins are in a row (the other 2 cabins, I am not sure where they’re located). Can I have small goodie bags delivered to everyone’s cabin? In my perfect world, they would be delivered on the first day/night of the cruise. How would I go about doing this if it’s possible?

Thank you for your help!

Ask their room attendant to put them in their rooms at turn down.  Hand them a $5 or $10 and say thanks.  I’m sure they would be happy to help.  

• Like 2

The stewards dont know you and wouldnt give you access. If you find the food propped open perhaps with a tip, but I'd hand them to people. I doubt they will deliver them to cabins you dont have authorization to enter. .. just give them out directly.

• Like 3

It's not the steward's job to do something like this.  Pretty sure the only things they will put in cabins are items purchased through or gifted by RCI and normally delivered by them.  If they're your goodie bags for your birthday, just hand them out yourself.   

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

The room stewards have enough to do without giving them this additional chore.

Be kind to the crew and please arrange to hand them out yourself……

Seriously.   Setting a bag on a bed is a chore?  I’ll bet a ton any room steward would jump at the chance to do this for a nice tip.  It’s not like you’re asking them to to spend 10-15 doing something.  You’re talking about setting a small bag on a bed.  My goodness. 

1 hour ago, BND said:

It's not the steward's job to do something like this.  Pretty sure the only things they will put in cabins are items purchased through or gifted by RCI and normally delivered by them.  If they're your goodie bags for your birthday, just hand them out yourself.   

Traveled in groups many times where something like this is done.  Room stewards helped and were happy to do so.  

• Like 1

This could also be seen as a little suspicious .. could look like you're trying to plant something in another person's cabin.    If I were a cabin steward, i wouldn't do it.    

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Traveled in groups many times where something like this is done.  Room stewards helped and were happy to do so.  

Like I  used to tell my MIL, just because someone smiles and nods at you when you ask/tell them something doesn't mean they agree with you.  You can't  know that they're "happy to do so", but they are happy to take money for it.  I just think it's not their job and wonder why someone can't be bothered to deliver the gifts they brought onboard?  I mean, how hard is it?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, F27TW said:

This could also be seen as a little suspicious .. could look like you're trying to plant something in another person's cabin.    If I were a cabin steward, i wouldn't do it.    

When they see you with them and know they are your friends.  Not really.  Geez this is getting blown up into a security issue and a significant burden on the attendants.  SMH.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, topnole said:

Seriously.   Setting a bag on a bed is a chore?  I’ll bet a ton any room steward would jump at the chance to do this for a nice tip.  It’s not like you’re asking them to to spend 10-15 doing something.  You’re talking about setting a small bag on a bed.  My goodness. 

…..since it’s so easy why don’t you do it yourself??  

You know the room steward isn’t going to refuse so why put him in that position of having yet another thing to add to his day?  These stewards have more rooms to clean than ever before because all the ships are sailing short staffed and they are all stretched to the max.

It’s not a matter of how little time (you think) it will take, it’s a matter of being respectful and not taking advantage of an already overwhelmed crew member.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, topnole said:

When they see you with them and know they are your friends.  Not really.  Geez this is getting blown up into a security issue and a significant burden on the attendants.  SMH.  

Maybe the attendants would be happy to do it in exchange for some hygiene products or nyquil.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, GTO-Girl said:

…..since it’s so easy why don’t you do it yourself??  

You know the room steward isn’t going to refuse so why put him in that position of having yet another thing to add to his day?  These stewards have more rooms to clean than ever before because all the ships are sailing short staffed and they are all stretched to the max.

It’s not a matter of how little time (you think) it will take, it’s a matter of being respectful and not taking advantage of an already overwhelmed crew member.

I’m not the op.  But whatever.  People ask staff to do extra stuff all the time.  And this is a task that would take about 2 extra seconds.  

53 minutes ago, topnole said:

Yes .. I'm glad you agree. 

5 minutes ago, topnole said:

I’m not the op.  But whatever.  People ask staff to do extra stuff all the time.  And this is a task that would take about 2 extra seconds.  

And the OP said they expected these goodie bags to be delivered to  "6 different cabins, 4 of the cabins are in a row (the other 2 cabins, I am not sure where they’re located).   Detective work too?   Not a reasonable expectation to put on your cabin attendant .. especially since due to lower than usual staffing, they've likely got extra work already.     Silly idea.   The OP can deliver the goodie bags themselves.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, F27TW said:

And the OP said they expected these goodie bags to be delivered to  "6 different cabins, 4 of the cabins are in a row (the other 2 cabins, I am not sure where they’re located).   Detective work too?   Not a reasonable expectation to put on your cabin attendant .. especially since due to lower than usual staffing, they've likely got extra work already.     Silly idea.   The OP can deliver the goodie bags themselves.

Sure.  Or they could simply ask their friends room attendant(s) to put it on their beds. 

What is the auto tip for the attendant per day person.  2.50-4 bucks range.  You think they aren’t more than happy to get an extra $10 for less than a minute of work?   I’ll bet a large sum of money that if asked on an anonymous survey, every single attendant that answered would gladly take the opportunity to earn that extra tip.   You all are acting like this is

some big ask.  You are talking about laying a gift bag on the bed after you make it.  

3 minutes ago, topnole said:

Sure.  Or they could simply ask their friends room attendant(s) to put it on their beds. 

What is the auto tip for the attendant per day person.  2.50-4 bucks range.  You think they aren’t more than happy to get an extra $10 for less than a minute of work?   I’ll bet a large sum of money that if asked on an anonymous survey, every single attendant that answered would gladly take the opportunity to earn that extra tip.   You all are acting like this is

some big ask.  You are talking about laying a gift bag on the bed after you make it.  

How would the OP  know who the room attendants for these other people would be ... they didn't even know several of  their cabins were.     And i don't think room attendants would (or should) want to accept something from a stranger and put it in one of their guest's cabins anyway.    How does the attendant know who's travelling with who?    

No. Bad idea. 

• Like 3

I say definitely deliver them yourself.  I see several problems with asking the cabin steward to deliver them for you: 

- The steward has the keys to "his or her rooms", but not to ALL the rooms onboard.  The steward probably has keys to the four rooms in a row ... but almost certainly doesn't have access to rooms in other areas of the ship.  

- Yes to the stewards being ultra-busy on turn-around day.  They have to clean the rooms and set them up for new guests ... this includes lots of trash, moving beds in some rooms, lots of linens, and delivering this-and-thats ordered ahead of time.  And they have to deliver all those suitcases to the staterooms.  Even if you tip extra, asking them to do one more little thing on turn-around day isn't asking a little thing. 

- Yes to the stewards saying YES to everything.  They have to do this to keep their jobs, but it doesn't mean they are happy to add more to their busiest day of the week.  

If you don't want to deliver the goodie bags yourself, here are a couple ideas: 

- Deliver them to your friends before you leave home.  Let them pack and transport the goodies. 

- Consider not delivering your goodie bags on the first day ... they'd still be a nice surprise on the first full day, and the stewards aren't nearly so busy as on Embarkation Day.

- Order something from the ship ahead of time (though this is expensive). 

- Instead of giving a goodie bag, buy a bottle of wine to share at dinner or take everyone to a specialty restaurant.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

16 minutes ago, F27TW said:

How would the OP  know who the room attendants for these other people would be ... they didn't even know several of  their cabins were.     And i don't think room attendants would (or should) want to accept something from a stranger and put it in one of their guest's cabins anyway.    How does the attendant know who's travelling with who?    

No. Bad idea. 

I’m pretty sure they would know where their cabins are once onboard.  And figuring out who their room attendant is doesn’t exactly require a degree from Sherlock Holmes University.   

To each their own.  But the OP should not feel like asking another attendant to do this is some maritime security issue or some significant burden on an attendant.  With an appropriate tip and a quick and simple explanation any attendant is going to be more than happy to have the opportunity to earn an easy 10 bucks for a few seconds of effortless work. That is more than they make spending an hour or so cleaning a typical cabin each day.  And it is way easier than when they have to do things like get extra ice (not talking about ice bucket here) for coolers every day or other things that people ask for that are beyond the normal duties of an attendant.  

And let’s not even get into anyone ever asking a waiter for something that isn’t on the menu and asking them to go to another restaurant/bar to get it (which happens all the time and takes way more time than laying a bag on a bed when you are 5-10 feet away from said bed). Should we now have moral outrage against this as well.  How dare they ask an over worked server to do such a thing.  The worker clearly can’t say no for fear of upsetting the passenger.    Seriously, where does this argument end?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I say definitely deliver them yourself.  I see several problems with asking the cabin steward to deliver them for you: 

- The steward has the keys to "his or her rooms", but not to ALL the rooms onboard.  The steward probably has keys to the four rooms in a row ... but almost certainly doesn't have access to rooms in other areas of the ship.  

- Yes to the stewards being ultra-busy on turn-around day.  They have to clean the rooms and set them up for new guests ... this includes lots of trash, moving beds in some rooms, lots of linens, and delivering this-and-thats ordered ahead of time.  And they have to deliver all those suitcases to the staterooms.  Even if you tip extra, asking them to do one more little thing on turn-around day isn't asking a little thing. 

- Yes to the stewards saying YES to everything.  They have to do this to keep their jobs, but it doesn't mean they are happy to add more to their busiest day of the week.  

If you don't want to deliver the goodie bags yourself, here are a couple ideas: 

- Deliver them to your friends before you leave home.  Let them pack and transport the goodies. 

- Order something from the ship ahead of time (though this is expensive). 

- Instead of giving a goodie bag, buy a bottle of wine to share at dinner or take everyone to a specialty restaurant.  

You don’t ask your own room attendant.  You ask their room attendant to simply  lay it on their bed and hand them a

tip.  Job done in 10 seconds. Their room attendant will be more than happy to get a tip for 10 seconds of work.  This is in no way a burden.  

The OP can do as they please.  Either way, the stewards are not going to mind the extra few seconds of work for a nice tip.  I’d bet they would love to earn earn an easy tip like they 20 times a day.  

7 hours ago, AspiringCindy said:

Why don't you order gifts right from the RCCL site to be delivered?

Probably $$$ and they really wouldn’t be personalized which is what I’m thinking the OP wants.

46 minutes ago, topnole said:

How do you know the OP will give them a 10.00 tip?

22 hours ago, Kruisn'Kay said:

Thank you for your help!

Why don’t you to a bar, pool area, lunch, etc and have a get together and hand them out yourself?

• Like 3