Crown: Propulsion problem a deal-killer?

epixx

We thought about the (November 2) 7 day Pacific Wine Country from Vancouver to LA until we read about the Crown's propulsion problems.  Would this problem be a deal-killer to you?  I am not thrilled about sitting on the ship for 7  days without reaching the ports due to lack of speed.

2 minutes ago, epixx said:

We thought about the (November 2) 7 day Pacific Wine Country from Vancouver to LA until we read about the Crown's propulsion problems.  Would this problem be a deal-killer to you?  I am not thrilled about sitting on the ship for 7  days without reaching the ports due to lack of speed.

I wouldn’t go on Crown.  Other west coast ships like Discovery, Majestic are my choices.

The Crown is scheduled for 17 day refurbishment in October - hopefully that will fix the propulsion problem.  We much prefer the Crown class and Grand class ships for the promenade deck amongst other things.  Will be on Sapphire in Sept and  Crown in March.

I am currently looking for a replacement cruise for this fall to replace my Crown booking for the 28 day LA-Hawaii-Tahiti-Samoa-LA.  It makes me angry that Princess has already switched the Crown in 2023, but not for 2022.  They just plan to leave us in this situation.  I still do not understand how or why

they are continuing with the Crown in such bad shape.  Very sad.  I have visions (OK, a fear) of being stranded somewhere in the vast Pacific ocean.  At this point I can't see myself setting foot on her.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

I am currently looking for a replacement cruise for this fall to replace my Crown booking for the 28 day LA-Hawaii-Tahiti-Samoa-LA.  It makes me angry that Princess has already switched the Crown in 2023, but not for 2022.  They just plan to leave us in this situation.  I still do not understand how or why

they are continuing with the Crown in such bad shape.  Very sad.  I have visions (OK, a fear) of being stranded somewhere in the vast Pacific ocean.  At this point I can't see myself setting foot on her.

There are a lot of us booked in November. We all are hoping for a fix during the dry dock in October in Portland. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

I have visions (OK, a fear) of being stranded somewhere in the vast Pacific ocean.  At this point I can't see myself setting foot on her.

We were on the crown in May and there was a public announcement due to an electrical problem on the ship and they had requested the electrical engineer to come and help stat.  It seemed that the engine had shut down and this happened while we were in Glacier Bay.  We very much had the fear that we could be stuck there.  I don't think I would want to travel on that ship across the ocean.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hpeabody said:

I am currently looking for a replacement cruise for this fall to replace my Crown booking for the 28 day LA-Hawaii-Tahiti-Samoa-LA.  It makes me angry that Princess has already switched the Crown in 2023, but not for 2022.  

The March 2023 28 day cruise is still on the Crown. Is that the switch you were referring to?

1 hour ago, epixx said:

I would assume it will make some, but not all of the ports.  On an Alaskan cruise, it would be a deal breaker for me, because that's a very special trip and harder for me (on the east coast) to get to.  I also wouldn't sail the Crown to Hawaii, because if you have mechanical problems on the way to Hawaii then you are in a lot of trouble.  But for a 7 day wine tour along the west coast if I already lived nearby,  I would consider it if the price were right, and if there was no port that I would be upset if I missed.

Edited by kitkat343

35 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

The March 2023 28 day cruise is still on the Crown. Is that the switch you were referring to?

I am referring to what I read in another post on this Princess forum. It said Crown Princess reservation was changed to the Royal Princess for June 2023.  Re-deployment can be and has been done in many instances.  I am just in awe that they are planning to send Crown into the vast Pacific ocean for this very long itinerary.

It seems they have put Royal on Seattle rt for the season.

image.thumb.png.d6915b06c4677188f61e458867858ce2.png

4 hours ago, mandyq1030 said:

We were on the crown in May and there was a public announcement due to an electrical problem on the ship and they had requested the electrical engineer to come and help stat.  It seemed that the engine had shut down and this happened while we were in Glacier Bay.  We very much had the fear that we could be stuck there.  I don't think I would want to travel on that ship across the ocean.

I don't know. There are worse things than being stuck on a luxury liner for a few extra days, even if moribund.

10 hours ago, epixx said:

I would keep the booking due to the dry dock before your cruise.

10 hours ago, DiRonT said:

The Crown is scheduled for 17 day refurbishment in October - hopefully that will fix the propulsion problem. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I don't think they have changed the Crown out for our same itinerary in March, 2023, but I wish they would.

2 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

I don't think they have changed the Crown out for our same itinerary in March, 2023, but I wish they would.

Right, It is still Crown.  It looks like the swap is for Alaska season only.  If anything, they should put Crown on west coast cruises only.  It seems Princess has a history of continuing to sail with similar issues, An Australian based ship, Dawn? and Caribbean Princess comes to mind.  If they were to swap, I would still be going

The ship goes into dry dock in October. We're waiting till it comes out and see if the propulsion problem is fixed. That must be on the top of the job list. Princess will lose too much money not to fix this ship. Can see where shipyards were backed up from being shut down and a problem that was assumed to be able to fixed at sea can't. Cruises after dry dock will tell. The ones in harms way are those that have final payment before seeing if fixed. We have been able to transfer our Covid 2020 FCC to the March cruise so we'll stick it out.