Carnival Miracle to Hawaii

mirglip69

First ever west cost departure on Carnival Miracle in January 2023. We have always cruised out of Florida and drive to the ports. We are flying into Cali a couple days prior. Wondering how early we can book return flights after debarkation. Any and all advice welcome. 

Thanks

• Like 1

In March, we flew into Long Beach instead of LAX. Very small and easy compared to LAX. Had a 1:00 return flight and had to wait a long time at the airport. It was simple to get there and very quick. I don't remember when we left the ship, but we were at Long Beach Airport about 10.

• Like 2

I flew out of LAX on a Sunday morning . I  carried all my luggage off during early self disembarkment.  There was a line of cabs waiting. Hopped in a cab and was through security at LAX by 8:45 am PST.

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 1

Depends on which airport, but if using Carnival transportation to LAX or Long Beach, the recommendations are

Pier-to-airport transportation

Return flights must not be any earlier than:

7:00 AM Ship Arrival:
  • Los Angeles International Airport: 12:00 PM
  • Long Beach Airport: 11:00 AM

8:00 AM and 9:00 AM Ship Arrival:
  • Los Angeles International Airport: 1:00 PM
  • Long Beach Airport: 12:30 PM

https://www.carnival.com/airport-transfers/los-angeles

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mirglip69 said:

First ever west cost departure on Carnival Miracle in January 2023. We have always cruised out of Florida and drive to the ports. We are flying into Cali a couple days prior. Wondering how early we can book return flights after debarkation. Any and all advice welcome. 

Thanks

If Long Beach is the right price take it, even though you most likely will have a connecting flights. Really convenient, 15-20 minutes from the port. Small airport, never crowded. Save the headache of LAX. We have cruised out of Long Beach three times on the Miracle. This last time we flew into Long Beach, and loved it. If we have to go in and out of LAX we never book a flight before 1:30pm. Long Beach noon.

Edited by skrufy
Addition
  • Like 2

We didn't get off the Panorama on the March 12th sailing until 10:30am. I never heard what the issue was but it can happen on any cruise.  I book direct flights to Denver out of long beach airport for around 3pm or so when we go out of that port. It was weird how the taxi line didn't even have taxis lined up, we had to wait about 40 minutes for a cab for just 2 of us when we got back on 3/19.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mirglip69 said:

Thanks

Which port are you sailing out of?  

We'll be on Miracle this September out of San Francisco to Hawaii, my first time ever in California and really looking forward to it.

On the rare occasions when I have to fly to a cruise I always allow a LOT of time both before and after.  I've been on too many delayed airline flights, and I've also seen a few cruises that are delayed getting into port and/or debarkation takes a lot longer than usual.  Just before the shut down, for instance, Elation got into some really rough weather and we were close to 4 hours late getting into port.

We are cruising out of Long Beach. Plan is to arrive a day or two prior to sailing. Coming from Atlanta. Waiting on SWA flight schedules to open up for January bookings. Resigned to to fact that there will be connections and getting back to Atlanta at a decent time is not likely. 

Will be posting more questions on the Hawaii ports as there does not seem to be much that I can find on these boards. Appreciate all the replies so far!

As others have said, Long Beach is more convenient but I'd sure price compare LAX as it's not a terrible ride from the cruise terminal. And you're going to be switching planes regardless. Anything in the early afternoon or later is fine.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 3:20 PM, mirglip69 said:

We are cruising out of Long Beach. Plan is to arrive a day or two prior to sailing. Coming from Atlanta. Waiting on SWA flight schedules to open up for January bookings. Resigned to to fact that there will be connections and getting back to Atlanta at a decent time is not likely. 

Will be posting more questions on the Hawaii ports as there does not seem to be much that I can find on these boards. Appreciate all the replies so far!

I just eyeballed ticket prices. There are nonstop flights to LAX  that are much cheaper than the connecting flights to LGB. Why are you choosing to spend more money and time?

1 hour ago, Badfinger said:

Sounds like a stressful way to end a vacation.  Reserve a hotel and a flight for later the next day.  Spend a couple days in Southern California....

How would the "stress" be any different a few days later? The flights and airports are the same. It's not stressful at all going from port to airport.

On 7/4/2022 at 10:38 AM, cruizergal70 said:

I just eyeballed ticket prices. There are nonstop flights to LAX  that are much cheaper than the connecting flights to LGB. Why are you choosing to spend more money and time?

Flying Southwest due to massive amount of miles i have. Flight is basically free. They have not yet released their flight schedules for the January 8th sailing, so i don't know if there will be non stop flights or not. Just curious as to how early we can book the return flight. 

18 hours ago, mirglip69 said:

Flying Southwest due to massive amount of miles i have. Flight is basically free. They have not yet released their flight schedules for the January 8th sailing, so i don't know if there will be non stop flights or not. Just curious as to how early we can book the return flight. 

We have sailed out of Long Beach 3 times since cruising resumed.  We are not loyal to any particular airline and have flown Southwest/Alaska/Delta.

We book flights 11:30 am or later (when returning home) and have had plenty of time (from both LAX and LGB). We are Platinum and use propriety debarkation, and it's easy to grab an Uber/Lyft as soon as you get off.  If you prefer to build in time for the unexpected, book a flight after noon.

LGB airport is closer/easier to get to (LAX traffic is horrible) and the airport itself is 100 times more pleasant than LAX (it's just a nice quiet little airport, even has an outdoor waiting area - I love it).  Many times we have walked right through security (no line at all).

But sometimes it just doesn't work out based on price or flights available, so we also have used LAX and it's fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

We have sailed out of Long Beach 3 times since cruising resumed.  We are not loyal to any particular airline and have flown Southwest/Alaska/Delta.

We book flights 11:30 am or later (when returning home) and have had plenty of time (from both LAX and LGB). We are Platinum and use propriety debarkation, and it's easy to grab an Uber/Lyft as soon as you get off.  If you prefer to build in time for the unexpected, book a flight after noon.

LGB airport is closer/easier to get to (LAX traffic is horrible) and the airport itself is 100 times more pleasant than LAX (it's just a nice quiet little airport, even has an outdoor waiting area - I love it).  Many times we have walked right through security (no line at all).

But sometimes it just doesn't work out based on price or flights available, so we also have used LAX and it's fine.

Thank you for your response. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

• 1 month later...

We're on this cruise with you!  I booked our return flight (out of LAX to Dulles, IAD) for 1:15.  Looks like we'll make it, unless the flight times change, get cancelled, etc.  Thankfully, United has LOTS of nonstop flights back to DC, so there should be options, at least.