Comparison of 3 Queens

DaisyUK

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I can resist and it's better for me as it's hard sometimes not to overload a plate in the buffet as I love a pick 'n mix buffet. 

I don't do well resisting a menu. Plus my usual travel diet is big breakfast in the dining room, small/snack lunch, and then a normal dinner. 

On QE I like that I can face the cold line and keep my back to the hot food. If I don't see fries or something rich in gravy, I don't want it. The salad bar items are generally good, except why are there never any green peppers? I admit I do add some cheese and crackers, but most of what's on my plate is crunchy-healthy. 

7 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't do well resisting a menu. Plus my usual travel diet is big breakfast in the dining room, small/snack lunch, and then a normal dinner. 

On QE I like that I can face the cold line and keep my back to the hot food. If I don't see fries or something rich in gravy, I don't want it. The salad bar items are generally good, except why are there never any green peppers? I admit I do add some cheese and crackers, but most of what's on my plate is crunchy-healthy. 

I enjoy the Café Carinthia offerings on the Vistas. I haven't yet tried QM2

Yes, we will be in QG. On our only Cunard cruise so far we enjoyed eating in the restaurant each day. We try to eat a light breakfast and light, one course lunch and then whatever we like in the evening. I find it easier to select from the menu as I eat less than I would at the buffet and we enjoy the relaxed pace. We were only on a short 4 day cruise though, so perhaps we will look for a change of scenery sometimes when on our 2 week cruise.

1 hour ago, DaisyUK said:

Yes, we will be in QG. On our only Cunard cruise so far we enjoyed eating in the restaurant each day. We try to eat a light breakfast and light, one course lunch and then whatever we like in the evening. I find it easier to select from the menu as I eat less than I would at the buffet and we enjoy the relaxed pace. We were only on a short 4 day cruise though, so perhaps we will look for a change of scenery sometimes when on our 2 week cruise.

Don’t forget you can order the most amazing salads lunch or dinner. I always go for an iceberg base with olives, avocado and sun dried tomatoes then load up with raw veg and other salads and feta or lobster tail for protein. No dressing and that’s my lunch, or dinner if  I need  a food rest. Add the occasional sushi meal and I really have no need to go to the buffet. 

7 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Don’t forget you can order the most amazing salads lunch or dinner. I always go for an iceberg base with olives, avocado and sun dried tomatoes then load up with raw veg and other salads and feta or lobster tail for protein. No dressing and that’s my lunch, or dinner if  I need  a food rest. Add the occasional sushi meal and I really have no need to go to the buffet. 

This is really great to know, thank you. Sounds like my perfect lunch. Do you just order it when you turn up for lunch, or ahead of time? 

19 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

This is really great to know, thank you. Sounds like my perfect lunch. Do you just order it when you turn up for lunch, or ahead of time? 

Preferably ahead but for that kind of meal, breakfast would do for lunch, and lunch for dinner. I would imagine it would be possible to order when you turn up  but I think it courteous to the staff to pre-order.

2 hours ago, crickette said:

Is Shashimi possible instead of Shushi?

Most definitely and with all the trimmings, I occasionally have a dinner plate in the evening. Ceviche is also available and appears on the menu occasionally if I remember correctly

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

I love sashimi, would never have thought it was available if not on the menu so again thanks for the info..

That is a meal I order the day before which is why I sometimes ask to have a look at the following day's dinner menu to make sure I'm not missing a favourite if I have ordered 'off' menu.

Can I also add, if you see anything on the pop up menus you fancy, it's worth asking if you can have it in the restaurant. I am partial to the Chinese alternative dining menu and always have  the Mandarin sticky beef at least once.

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Can I also add, if you see anything on the pop up menus you fancy, it's worth asking if you can have it in the restaurant. I am partial to the Chinese alternative dining menu and always have  the Mandarin sticky beef at least once.

Again, thanks, this is all great info. What is the 'pop up' menu? And the Chinese alternative dining menu - is this something which is available all the time?

3 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

Again, thanks, this is all great info. What is the 'pop up' menu? And the Chinese alternative dining menu - is this something which is available all the time?

I say historically as I have no idea if they are functioning in these times of possible staff shortages, the Lido has been home to small alternative, chargeable dining areas -  Indian, Chinese, Mexican and I think Italian but I may be misremembering there. Hence my term 'pop up'.

They used to run for a couple of nights each depending on the length of the cruise but not necessarily all functioned on a shorter cruise and unless we dined with friends there, I asked for and got a menu item to dine on in QG.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, definitely Italian. La Piazza it was called, and very good too. They weren't functioning on QE in April, nor do they appear to be there on QM2 for our Med. cruise later this month. Such a shame.

I notice La Piazza was on the QM2 daily notices recently published on another thread 

3 minutes ago, cpc3639 said:

I notice La Piazza was on the QM2 daily notices recently published on another thread 

Oooh, goody. Perhaps it will appear for ours. That would be great, but at the moment there's no mention of it on the voyage personaliser or whatever they call it now.