Checked in!! Questions for recent Oasis cruisers!

Twice in the last month or so boarding has been delayed because Oasis had to move to allow another ship to get by.   It seems that Royal was very late in notifying everyone so make sure to check your email before heading over.

I am boarding Oasis in August with a 10am check in and worried we’ll get to the terminal on time and find out they aren’t boarding till after 11.  

7 hours ago, AspiringCindy said:

Yes you can park your car at 9:30am. At 9:30 there are no issues driving in...but by 10:15 the car line is usually backed up for a mile! I PMd this vlogger, and he said he was on the ship by 10:30.

In all of my sailings from Bayonne, including 5 since last October, never have I witnessed or experienced mile long backups at 10:15. Every time I was at the port by 10:45, the approach to the terminal was always traffic free.

It is best to arrive at Cape Liberty by 11 am. After 11 am is when traffic starts but not before that time. I noticed, since the implementation of boarding times, there have been slight backups close to the terminal but nothing close to resembling what occurred without specific boarding times. Last month I had the next to last boarding time. I arrived at 12:35 with no delay except as usual at the luggage drop zone which had 8 cars ahead of mine.

It is best to arrive early and wait outside the terminal rather than in wait in possible traffic leading to the terminal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 8:17 PM, meadowlander said:

In all of my sailings from Bayonne, including 5 since last October, never have I witnessed or experienced mile long backups at 10:15. Every time I was at the port by 10:45, the approach to the terminal was always traffic free.

It is best to arrive at Cape Liberty by 11 am. After 11 am is when traffic starts but not before that time. I noticed, since the implementation of boarding times, there have been slight backups close to the terminal but nothing close to resembling what occurred without specific boarding times. Last month I had the next to last boarding time. I arrived at 12:35 with no delay except as usual at the luggage drop zone which had 8 cars ahead of mine.

It is best to arrive early and wait outside the terminal rather than in wait in possible traffic leading to the terminal.

Just now, robenv said:

Hi Meadowlander-Perhaps you can assist. I have cruised many many times prior but this will be my first cruise from Port Liberty. I walk with a cane and have requested wheelchair assistance to board ship. I will be sailing with my daughter and my husband will be driving us to the pier. We live out of state so anything you can suggest making his dropping us off any easier for HIM and US would be greatly appreciated. I am starting to fear this check-in at a new port and our lack of knowledge.

SUGGESTIONS would be sooooo greatly appreciated!

I can only hope by saying "1 mile" they were exaggerating. One mile would put you way back where the new condos are (see pic). When we went in June, we got there around 10am and we were backed up all the way 2-tenths of a mile! It took about 5 minutes to drop off our luggage.  It, unfortunately, took me another 20 minutes to follow the line of cars to the parking lot...  Our trip here for Adventure had no lines approaching baggage drop-off and about 10 mins to park our car (the lot we were pointed to was doing pre-pay which was slowing up the process).

Point is - you're going on vacation! Don't let a little traffic get you in a mood.

image.thumb.png.943a72603689198e4b0d34eaa3c766d9.png

7 hours ago, robenv said:

From the New Jersey Turnpike use exit 14 A. Note that there are exits numbered 14, 14 A, 14 B & 14 C. For Cape Liberty cruise terminal in Bayonne use exit 14 A.

After paying the toll at exit 14 A, stay to the left, follow the sign for 440 'Chosin Few Way'. You will go up a ramp, stay to the right & exit onto 'Chosin Few Way' where it splits with 440. Once on Chosin Few Way, go to the end, turn left onto Goldsborough Drive. The terminal is about 2 miles away. The road is very bumpy & the paint on road distinguinshing the one lane in each direction is faint.

As you approach the terminal, the road will expand to 2 entry lanes. Traffic personnel will stop cars just in front of the terminal to direct them to open spaces at the luggage drop zone. All vehicles must pass by the luggage zone whether they stop to drop luggage or bypass it to go to the parking garage or lots.

It is best for you to exit at the luggage zone. Your luggage will be taken and you will have a short walk(to your left) to the terminal entrance. Because 3 ships are sailing from Bayonne, the parking garage and surface parking lots are being used. Some of these surface lots are, in my opinion, very far from the terminal. Reports have been that handicap are prioritized to park in the garage. I was allowed to park in the garage in May (without handicap plates), I had expected I would be told to park in the open lots. If you do not have handicap plates/placard, you may be assigned to park in the surface lots.

Take the parking ticket with you on the ship. If you are in the garage, you pay for parking upon disembarking. You will pass through facial recognition in the terminal, then go right to exit the building. There are machines to pay for parking outside the terminal & employees will be there to assist. After paying, you will then wait in a line to use the one working elevator in the garage. Keep the payment stub/ticket to use to raise the gate exiting the garage (if I remember correctly).

Some who have parked in the lots have reported they paid on arrival day not disembarkation day. Some have said they paid on disembarkation.

Easiest route back to the NJTP will be via Chosin Few Way. There will not be a sign directing drivers to the NJTP. There should be a street sign. Turn right on Chosin Few Way (Costco should be visible from the intersection) and follow signs for NJTP.  If you do not have EZ Pass and have to get a paper ticket, be aware there is one lane that has the ticket dispenser at the height of a tractor trailer window, not a car window.

I suggest arriving at Cape Liberty by 10:45 am, thus the only slight wait you should have would be by the luggage zone. In years past, traffic formed from 11 am onward. I do think with the new boarding appointment times it has reduced the traffic leading to the terminal. I arrived at 12:35 in May without incurring traffic.

Chosin Few Way is the best route upon exiting the NJTP though route 440 and Avenue E all lead to the cruise port, just not as easy as the Chosin Few Way route.

If you miss the turn at Chosin Few Way on the way back, you could turn right on 440 (at the traffic light) and it will take you to the NJTP.

At the terminal, there is only 1 entry point. There will be 2 roped lanes, 1 for suite & key members & parents with unvaccinated kids, the other for all other guests. When you get to the entry ask the employee which scheduled times are allowed in as too many wait on line earlier than their scheduled time. I had an early entry time in December, cruisers with mobility issues regardless of appointment time were allowed in as there were no more than 30 people waiting and all of us were allowed in within the first 10 minutes, otherwise appointment times are enforced at Cape

Liberty.

he best & easiest route would be via Chosin Few Way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Some who have parked in the lots have reported they paid on arrival day not disembarkation day. Some have said they paid on disembarkation.

Correct!

There are generally two surface parking areas. the one furthest back is mixed in with warehouse buildings and doesn't have an exit booth. So they take money up front if you park here. It's also a bit of a walk! they do offer a shuttle, but we chose to use our feet. They also will park some oversized vehicles in between some of the warehouses rather than putting them in the enclosed area (see below)

The other surface lot is actually enclosed with a booth at the exit, so you can pay as you leave. You can also pay at one of the kiosks at the garage. I ended right across from the garage and had a very short walk!

On 6/30/2022 at 9:11 AM, AspiringCindy said:

Yes you can park your car at 9:30am. At 9:30 there are no issues driving in...but by 10:15 the car line is usually backed up for a mile!

Does that traffic jam also affect drop offs?   Cruise line transfer, private van, Uber, Lyft, taxi etc

20 minutes ago, Daisy0214 said:

I live in Bayonne and we are leaving our house by 9:15 for a 10:00 bonding time. Traffic is horrific getting down there. The traffic is bad on a regular day never mind when there is a ship there. 

Daisy0214:

I am on the 8/3 Oasis cruise and also have a check-in time of 10am..... what time would you suggest we target to arrive at Bayonne?  (We are coming from upper Northern NJ)

18 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Daisy0214:

I am on the 8/3 Oasis cruise and also have a check-in time of 10am..... what time would you suggest we target to arrive at Bayonne?  (We are coming from upper Northern NJ)

I am coming from northern New Jersey as well for 8/21. I plan on trying to arrive the parking area by 9:30/9:45 to avoid the gauntlet!

Just now, AspiringCindy said:

I am coming from northern New Jersey as well for 8/21. I plan on trying to arrive the parking area by 9:30/9:45 to avoid the gauntlet!

I’ve cruised out of Bayonne several times and have never encountered traffic although we usually leave on a Sunday. We get to the port around 10-10:30 and never slowed until the baggage claim. You don’t want to get to the port too early because then the last cruise people will still be leaving and parking will be more of a challenge.

• Like 2

The issue is that there is cruise traffic plus regular everyday traffic. Since they built up the area it has been bad traffic wise. We went to go look at the ship one day and we couldn’t get down there.We are going to get there by 9:15. 

On 6/30/2022 at 3:40 PM, Project-College said:

So if I Understood you correctly  'AspiringCindy', if you have a 10am check-in time (as I do on 8/5 for Oasis) and plan to park your car there... you should shoot to get onsite in Bayonne Pier at 9:15am?

If that is correct, and I get in early, do they have a sitting area for us to wait until the 10am check-in?

They really do not have a sitting area, arrive early and just hang out in your car until closer to check-in time or you see the lines forming otherwise you will be standing on hot concrete.

On 6/30/2022 at 4:13 PM, Project-College said:

So it sounds like risk being a bit late (if the port is like 'Aspiring Cindy' said:  it's a S*#t show! I) or get there a bit early so I'm done parking by 9:30 but then sit out in the heat on wooden benches waiting until 10am?   

No your third option is sit in your car in the AC until 9:55