Unlimited Dining Package Sale, but No Sale!

I previously purchased the UDP for an upcoming cruise.  Checked today and the UDP was discounted significantly, so I cancelled the original order and re-purchased.  I received the confirmation email and it shows gratuity added to the total.  The original purchase of the package, just a month ago, did NOT include additional charges for gratuity.  So ends up I was charged more this time around.  So it's really not a sale...

Anyone else run into this?

Ran into the same thing for the UPD on the Wonder today.  Looks like a sale on the UDP, but RCI added a charge for tips when I went to pay.  I have never seen RCI charge gratuities separately for any dining package purchased from the cruise planner before today.  Just another way of making a sale not a sale for Royal.

This had me intrigued so I did some mock planning myself.  I've an 8 night S Caribbean in August and another 8 night S Caribbean in October; both on Explorer OTS.  The August cruise has the old planner and the price is $280 total.  The October sailing has the UDP new planner listed at $237.99 and when you go to hit the final payment, it adds the $42.83 gratuity on making your total now $280.82. Sneaky sneaky sneaky!!! 

• Haha 1

Best to follow the advice from Biker. The term "Sale" can have many connotations and I just assume that RCL's usage just implies that the item is available for purchase and not that it is specially priced or discounted.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I bought the UDP for a cruise back in Sept ($1K) and it had the gratuity attached then?  I thought they always add the 18% onto it?

Now they are changing the 'credit' for ala carte resteraunts, from the previous $35 down now to a $20... even if you bought it when it was $35!

That absolutely sticks!!!!

... and they say NCL 'nickles and dimes' you!

4 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Now they are changing the 'credit' for ala carte resteraunts, from the previous $35 down now to a $20... even if you bought it when it was $35!

It has always been a $20 credit at venues like Playmakers.  It is still $35 (or now the prix-fixe menu) at Izumi

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It has always been a $20 credit at venues like Playmakers.  It is still $35 (or now the prix-fixe menu) at Izumi

On Oasis, ONLY Playmakers and Port Side Barb were $20, all other ala carte were $35.  

As to Oasis and Izumi, I keep getting different responses about that pre-set meal but three have confirmed that the rolls only get $20 and I know they got $35 a few months ago.

My main point is if you buy something, they should not be able to reduce it's value after the fact!

1 minute ago, Project-College said:

On Oasis, ONLY Playmakers and Port Side Barb were $20, all other ala carte were $35.  

As to Oasis and Izumi, I keep getting different responses about that pre-set meal but three have confirmed that the rolls only get $20 and I know they got $35 a few months ago.

My main point is if you buy something, they should not be able to reduce it's value after the fact!

There was only ever the one a la carte restaurant that was $35 and that was Izumi.

They have not reduced its value as it is included as any other restaurant

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There was only ever the one a la carte restaurant that was $35 and that was Izumi.

They have not reduced its value as it is included as any other restaurant

If they now include it the same as the others, like Chops or Park or... that would be great as then they cover everything!  No one at RCL has even suggested that so far??????

Just now, Project-College said:

If they now include it the same as the others, like Chops or Park or... that would be great as then they cover everything!  No one at RCL has even suggested that so far??????

That is what I have been telling you.  They have included it as a prix fixe menu.  you get to pick one small plate, 2 large plates and a dessert for one set price (large plate portions are huge, we only ever order one large).  It is one price.  No different than going to Chops and ordering an app, main and dessert

16 hours ago, Dewaldcruiser said:

Ran into the same thing for the UPD on the Wonder today.  Looks like a sale on the UDP, but RCI added a charge for tips when I went to pay.  I have never seen RCI charge gratuities separately for any dining package purchased from the cruise planner before today.  Just another way of making a sale not a sale for Royal.

We have Ovation booked for Alaska. 3 night dining package and Sushi/Sake Lunch both had tips added at checkout. Going forward bet you see additional charge added to all items.

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That is what I have been telling you.  They have included it as a prix fixe menu.  you get to pick one small plate, 2 large plates and a dessert for one set price (large plate portions are huge, we only ever order one large).  It is one price.  No different than going to Chops and ordering an app, main and dessert

I hope ur right and I read from someone on Oasis less than a month ago that it still was the ala carte.  I put a thread asking CURRENT sailers and hope I get the same answer you just emphasized as that would be fine for the boys.  Is that for lunch too as that is really when they would go to Izumi?

18 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

Anyone else run into this?

Yes, I've seen other examples where the "sale" is not a sale.  It can be dining packages, drink packages, excursions, or what have you. 

I do things along the lines of what Biker does.  I go all the way to the checkout screen to see what the true, "all-in" price actually is, and then I compare it to what I paid (from my order history or confirmation email).  If it truly is a better price, then I buy the thing and cancel the other.  If not, I move on.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 8:37 AM, Project-College said:

I hope ur right and I read from someone on Oasis less than a month ago that it still was the ala carte.  I put a thread asking CURRENT sailers and hope I get the same answer you just emphasized as that would be fine for the boys.  Is that for lunch too as that is really when they would go to Izumi?

I haven't been on Oasis, but on Allure a couple of weeks ago, we were able to use the UDP at Izumi for lunch.  We were able to order one small plate, two large plates and dessert.  Both of us only ordered one  small plate and one large plate .  I happen to love the mango mochi so that's what I ordered for dessert instead of the multi flavored ones.  

I was totally full with my lunch and I don't see any way that I'd have been able to order two large plates.