Best way to get from Heathrow (LHR) to Greenwich?

Moonlion

My husband and I are booked on the British Isles Explorer cruise next May (2023).  We have arranged our own flights using points (included upgrades 🙂). Two questions:

1. What is the best way to get from Heathrow (LHR) to Greenwich dock when traveling independently (taxi, reserve private car, the tube, other ideas)? We're hoping not to spend a fortune getting to ship, but will have luggage of course. 
  2. Our flight from the US arrives in London early (6:45 AM) the day of embarkation. We'd like to drop off our luggage with Viking in the morning (possibly before 9 AM) and then go off to explore London on our own before returning to board ship in the afternoon.  Can we do this at Greenwich? It seems that Greenwich is a tender port. Is there a cruise terminal there which will take our luggage before we board ship?  

Thanks for the advice!

LHR to Greenwich is a slog any way you look at it.  We have taken car services and depending on traffic it can take over an hour or more.  Taxi probably longer and the meter will be running.  Cheapest would probably be the tube but with luggage that will be troublesome.  We go for the car service and relax and look around whilst in traffic.  Once at Greenwich there is a large tent set up for checkin.  Not sure when they start to man it but I believe you can drop bags.  We have actually checked in around 10 and they handled our bags as we took the very short hop on the tender.  Once done the Thames Clipper boats are right there at the same dock and make getting in to Westminster area or Tower Bridge area a nice boat ride away.  Once in Greenwich Viking have it very well organized.  Not exactly like going to a cruise terminal but we like it.  Greenwich has lots to offer in itself.  Bon Voyage..🍸

• Like 3

6:45 is the arrival time to your gate. Collect your luggage and clear border control... I'd be surprised if you walk out the airport to your transportation much before 9am.

As Jim has suggested, using a car service is your best (easiest) bet and your likely going to get to the ship closer to noon. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

LHR to Greenwich is a slog any way you look at it.  We have taken car services and depending on traffic it can take over an hour or more.  Taxi probably longer and the meter will be running.  Cheapest would probably be the tube but with luggage that will be troublesome.  We go for the car service and relax and look around whilst in traffic.  Once at Greenwich there is a large tent set up for checkin.  Not sure when they start to man it but I believe you can drop bags.  We have actually checked in around 10 and they handled our bags as we took the very short hop on the tender.  Once done the Thames Clipper boats are right there at the same dock and make getting in to Westminster area or Tower Bridge area a nice boat ride away.  Once in Greenwich Viking have it very well organized.  Not exactly like going to a cruise terminal but we like it.  Greenwich has lots to offer in itself.  Bon Voyage..🍸

Our latest cruise starting in Greenwich took over 4 hours for the Viking transfer  from Heathrow because we encountered Friday rush hour, and major accidents and roadworks on M25.  We also had to wait for other flights to arrive for the transfer.  Hopefully no one else will have the problems we had, as we didn’t arrive until 8pm.  

• Like 1

We have had nearly that bad for the reasons you state but we do not take the Viking bus for also the reason you state.  Spending all this hard earned money for a grand cruise we are just not willing to wait around for a bus to fill.  Car services in London are probably the best way to go barring the invention of Sky Cabs....🥃

• Like 1

Which ship are you taking for your BIE cruise?  Quite a few of Viking ships port stop have been moved to Tilbury, even though Viking still lists Greenwich in all their material, Tilbury is past Greenwich, and closer to the mouth of the Thames River, in an industrial area.  I'm putting links to the port schedules for Greenwich and Tilbury for May 2023 below.  

We're on Viking Venus a month after you.  I've read that Tilbury is an industrial area with nothing interesting nearby.  Was looking forward to being in Greenwich for two days.
Not sure what to believe, Viking sales material or the British published cruise port schedule.  

London-Greenwich (England) cruise port schedule | CruiseMapper

London-Tilbury (England) cruise port schedule | CruiseMapper

Tim

50 minutes ago, TiiiSailor said:

Which ship are you taking for your BIE cruise?  Quite a few of Viking ships port stop have been moved to Tilbury, even though Viking still lists Greenwich in all their material,

We're on Viking Neptune, departing London (Greenwich) on May 9, 2023. I do note that all BIE cruises before May 9th depart/return to/from Tilbury.  All those after list Greenwich. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

I do note that all BIE cruises before May 9th depart/return to/from Tilbury.  All those after list Greenwich. 

Meant to say, I do note *from Viking's website*... I hope the Viking website is correct, as we would much rather depart from Greenwich!

2 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

6:45 is the arrival time to your gate. Collect your luggage and clear border control... I'd be surprised if you walk out the airport to your transportation much before 9am.

As Jim has suggested, using a car service is your best (easiest) bet and your likely going to get to the ship closer to noon. 😀

This was sort of our plan, BUT the plane arrived very early, we were thru customs, etc. in under 20 minutes and standing on the curb, when the car service we had booked to Greenwich called to say the car assigned to us had broken down, and due to the strike they didn’t have another one to send. So we got a Black Cab who got us to Greenwich in about two hours (due to strikes the traffic was horrendous). Charge was reasonable. So, there are many ways to get from LHR to Greenwich, just have a plan A, a plan B and a plan C if all else fails…and a sense of humor. These are not “normal” times.

• Like 3

Since you have bought your own flights, as long as you are arriving at Heathrow along with the rest of the embarking passengers on Day 1 of your itinerary, you can buy Viking transfers in advance. Same goes for the return as long as your return flights are scheduled for the last day of the cruise (including any Viking run post-cruise extension).

We've done this a couple of times.  On arrival, Viking takes your luggage at the airport and you don't see it again until it is delivered to your cabin. If there has been a last minute change in departure port, you are covered. Our last cruise, we used it on departure. We were on the red-eye  from LAX (not what we had planned but the airline had cancelled our noon flight and it was our only choice). We did not know until a day or so before disembarkation that our transfer included, at no additional cost!, a day room at a hotel and the hotel shuttle the rest of the way to the airport. 

Yes, I am a fan of Viking transfers, as long as our knees continue to be up to the job. They are cheaper. They handle our luggage. They cost a whole lot less than than a cab or private options. (And, in countries where I don't speak the language and/or can't decipher the alphabet, having Viking there to take care of us, makes things so much easier).

NOTE: Viking will not sell transfers to those have bought Viking Air and are deviating arrival or departure dates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Since you have bought your own flights, as long as you are arriving at Heathrow along with the rest of the embarking passengers on Day 1 of your itinerary, you can buy Viking transfers in advance.

How much is the one-way Viking transfer per person?  Can we have them just take our luggage to the ship?  If that is allowed, we could take the tube into London (sans luggage), tour around on our own, and then take the tube to Greenwich (if that is where we board ship). 

15 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

How much is the one-way Viking transfer per person?  Can we have them just take our luggage to the ship?  If that is allowed, we could take the tube into London (sans luggage), tour around on our own, and then take the tube to Greenwich (if that is where we board ship). 

that is an interesting question.  I don't know, possibly others do but pay the transfer and let them handle the baggage.  Great idea because the Tube is a great way to get around if you don't have baggage.  I look forward to hearing some answers.🍺

5 hours ago, Moonlion said:

Viking will be happy to answer these questions for you. What I paid for transfers may differ from what is being charged for your sailing. As for giving them your luggage and then taking the tube, that is a policy question that you want Viking answer not us.

For those docking in Tilbury, there is rail transit from Fenchurch Street Station (which connects to the tube) to TILBURY TOWN Station. Thirty-five minutes to Tilbury. It is a 10-15 minute walk to the terminal (from the  London-bound side of the station, exit the station, walk to the road and turn left) -- or take a cab.

5 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Great idea because the Tube is a great way to get around if you don't have baggage.

While I wouldn't want to wander around London all day with my luggage (not even with the little that we carry), we did use rail and tube to get ourselves from the ship (Tilbury) to our hotel and then from the hotel to Heathrow a few days later without any problems. Actually, it was really great not to find ourselves stuck in traffic worrying that we didn't leave enough time to get to the airport. We stayed a block or so away from the Earls Court tube station; hotel check out to airport check-in was under an hour.

On 7/2/2022 at 2:20 PM, janetcbl said:

This was sort of our plan, BUT the plane arrived very early, we were thru customs, etc. in under 20 minutes and standing on the curb, when the car service we had booked to Greenwich called to say the car assigned to us had broken down, and due to the strike they didn’t have another one to send. So we got a Black Cab who got us to Greenwich in about two hours (due to strikes the traffic was horrendous). Charge was reasonable. So, there are many ways to get from LHR to Greenwich, just have a plan A, a plan B and a plan C if all else fails…and a sense of humor. These are not “normal” times.

I fear they are the new normal

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions and advice!  When we get closer to final payment, I'll reach out to Viking to ask about the Viking transfers (we are arriving the day of embarkation).  I also like shipboy's suggestion of taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then a cab to the ship.  In previous work trips to London, I've taken the Paddington-to-Heathrow Express which was quite easy to navigate even with luggage. 

• Like 1

Honestly, the London tubes are really easy to negotiate. Unlike many other cities almost all stations have a lift and or escalator service to aid those travelling with luggage and they tell you if they don't. We negotiate the system  with luggage regularly. London traffic can be the pits which makes taxi travel precarious and sometimes prohibitively expensive. 

It helps to be familiar with the system and to know where you're going ahead of arrival. Here's a link to Transport for London. You can view detailed maps, use Journey planner instructing methods of transport you'd like to use, (ie avoid buses), it also informs about delays and disruption etc.

https://tfl.gov.uk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 1:24 PM, Moonlion said:

Meant to say, I do note *from Viking's website*... I hope the Viking website is correct, as we would much rather depart from Greenwich!

I agree with you.  Greenwich has a lot to see and do in the vicinity of the dock. Tilbury appears to be an industrial town.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions.  We will be arriving in Heathrow this Saturday the 9th and will have a Plan A, B, and C at ready - to get to our Hotel in Kensington.   We make our way to Greenwich later for the Midnight Sun sailing on the 15th.  Will let you all know.  Last word is tube strikes on Thursday and Saturday nights, but it is fluid.  Heard the Heathrow express to Paddington isn't affected by tube strikes, so that might be Plan A.

• Like 1

If your hotel is in Kensington, you might want to look at National Express coach.  Very easy walk from elevator at Terminal 2.  The Victoria bound coach usually stops in Kensington en route and it is quite inexpensive - driver handles your luggage on to the bus.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Paddington is nowhere near to Greenwich, and if anything getting a cab from Paddington requires you to negotiate areas where the traffic may be worse than if you start at Heathow.  So the suggestion of Heathrow Express to Paddington then a cab doesn't save time or money.  Either use a car service (pre booked cab) all the way from Heathrow or if you are up for using public transport then the journey by tube and DLR only costs about £6 (and there are lifts / escalators at the stations).  Cutty Sark DLR station is just as as close where a taxi would drop you for the tent where cruise lines do check in and take your bags.

7 hours ago, Alwaysontime said:

I have used Blackberry car service for years.  Last trip was in June from Southampton to South Kensington.  Always on time and always clean, comfortable and safe transportation. Google them and they will give you a quote. 

This was the car service we booked that called us as we landed to say the car had broken down and no others were available. At least we were called, which I appreciated……

6 hours ago, janetcbl said:

This was the car service we booked that called us as we landed to say the car had broken down and no others were available. At least we were called, which I appreciated……

Sorry to hear that but at least you heard from them and didn’t just wait wondering what had happened.  I’ve never had a problem in probably 15-20 times we’ve used them.   But as you said, with the strike and the traffic problems that day, a black cab saved the day.  So many choices of transport in London I never panic if something goes amiss. 

• Like 1