Coffee Confusion

JerrySueW

New X cruiser here - trying to figure out which non-alcoholic drink package to go with. I've searched the board and still can't figure out what constitutes a "specialty coffee" and if there is a dollar limit on the classic non-alcoholic drinks (similar to the $9 cap on the alcoholic drinks). In other words, if I have the classic non-alcoholic package, are there certain non-alcoholic coffees that would not be included in the package? If so, would I have to pay for the entire cost of the fancy coffee or just the added cost, whatever that might be?

Thanks for your help!

Whenever you order anything above the price point of your package, you pay only the difference plus 20% gratuity (unless sailing out of Southampton where prices are adjusted to include gratuities).

if you can order a drink up to $9, and you order a $10 drink, you will pay $1.20

3 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Whenever you order anything above the price point of your package, you pay only the difference plus 20% gratuity (unless sailing out of Southampton where prices are adjusted to include gratuities).

if you can order a drink up to $9, and you order a $10 drink, you will pay $1.20

What if what you order is not included in the package?  The Classic Nonalcoholic Package includes Premium Coffee but not Specialty Coffee.  Also specialty water, Red Bull, etc. is all under $9 but not included in package.  What is difference between premium and specialty coffee?  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

What if what you order is not included in the package?  The Classic Nonalcoholic Package includes Premium Coffee but not Specialty Coffee.  Also specialty water, Red Bull, etc. is all under $9 but not included in package.  What is difference between premium and specialty coffee?  

For non-alcoholic beverages not covered under the package you have you pay the entire amount.  There isn't any specific dollar limit for non-alcoholic drinks.  They just list what is included in each package.

I can't tell you what the difference though is between premium and specialty coffee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

I can't tell you what the difference though is between premium and specialty coffee.

They're served at Cafe Al Bacio, include some sort of alcohol, and you pay the difference between your package per-drink limit and the price of those as well.  A very few of them are more than $9.

4 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

The clue is in the title. Any non alcoholic coffee, tea, chocolate is in the package. Any of the former with alcohol added is not. Enjoy the Cafe Al Bacio.

9 hours ago, canderson said:

They're served at Cafe Al Bacio, include some sort of alcohol, and you pay the difference between your package per-drink limit and the price of those as well.  A very few of them are more than $9.

The question relates to the non-alcoholic packages (which don't have a dollar limit per drink - they just list the drinks that are covered).  According to Celebrity's website, the Classic Non-Alcholic package includes premium coffees.  The Premium Non-alcoholic package includes specialty coffees.  I would assume both premium and specialty coffees would be from Cafe al Bacio as I don't know where else you get pay coffees on the ship.  It could be that Celebrity is just interchanging two different words that have the same meaning.  

Celebrity obfuscation at its finest 

The classic non-alcohol package includes premium coffees and teas and non-premium bottled water.

The premium non-alcohol package includes specialty coffees and teas and premium bottled water (Evian, Perrier and San Pellegrino)

The Classic alcohol package includes delicious coffees and teas and bottled water.

The  Premium alcohol package includes premium coffee and Evian.

clear as mud, yes? 

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Haha 2

Thanks for your efforts at clearing this up for me! I'm giving up trying to sort it out and have reached the (hopefully reasonable) conclusion that the Premium non-alcohol package is the way to go. I booked at the cruise only rate and pre-paid crew tips, so it appears that I can put the $200 onboard spending credit toward my drink package, correct? 

Now, on to wi-fi...😱

4 minutes ago, JerrySueW said:

Now, on to wi-fi...😱

One tip here: unless you and your cabinmate need to constantly be on wifi at the same time, you only need the plan for one device. We just each take turns connecting to check email, text the kids, etc. 

I need to be able to do Wordle and hubby needs to keep up with his fantasy baseball league, but that doesn't have to be at the same time. Save the money.

2 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

One tip here: unless you and your cabinmate need to constantly be on wifi at the same time, you only need the plan for one device. We just each take turns connecting to check email, text the kids, etc. 

I need to be able to do Wordle and hubby needs to keep up with his fantasy baseball league, but that doesn't have to be at the same time. Save the money.

Great advice, especially since we will have cellular access when off ship most of the time. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Even those of us who have many, many nights at sea with Celebrity are confused by their latest wording on coffees.  Perhaps wait until you get on board to verify what's covered and then choose your package accordingly.

If I were on a shorter cruise, I would probably do that, but for 12 nights I would like to take advantage of the pre-cruise discount. Hubby is not as picky about his coffee as I am so we may get him the classic and me the premium and see how it all shakes out. Thanks for your help!

4 hours ago, prmssk said:

The question relates to the non-alcoholic packages (which don't have a dollar limit per drink - they just list the drinks that are covered).  According to Celebrity's website, the Classic Non-Alcholic package includes premium coffees.  The Premium Non-alcoholic package includes specialty coffees.  I would assume both premium and specialty coffees would be from Cafe al Bacio as I don't know where else you get pay coffees on the ship.  It could be that Celebrity is just interchanging two different words that have the same meaning.  

Got it.  I was explaining 'specialty' vs. the 'premium' that comes with the NA package, and how much those cost. 

17 minutes ago, JerrySueW said:

If I were on a shorter cruise, I would probably do that, but for 12 nights I would like to take advantage of the pre-cruise discount. Hubby is not as picky about his coffee as I am so we may get him the classic and me the premium and see how it all shakes out. Thanks for your help!

Sorry you both have to have the same package. The coffee, teas and chocolate are the same on both packages.

For some reason there seems to be an effort to overthink this.

All coffees, teas and chocolate hot or iced without alcohol are included in either non alcoholic packages. If you did order something over the package for example a bottle of premium water you would only pay the difference in price plus 20% gratuity on the difference. 💲1extra would cost you 💲1.20. 

27 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Sorry you both have to have the same package. The coffee, teas and chocolate are the same on both packages.

All coffees, teas and chocolate hot or iced without alcohol are included in either non alcoholic packages. If you did order something over the package for example a bottle of premium water you would only pay the difference in price plus 20% gratuity on the difference. 💲1extra would cost you 💲1.20. 

My cabin mate and I have 2 different drink packages. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, the penguins said:

I believe that's the case on RCI.  It's not the case on Celebrity to the best of my knowledge.  Since I generally sail solo, I don't have a lot of experience with this.

51 minutes ago, the penguins said:

No, Celebrity does not require both people to have the same package.

And there is no difference to pay when you are talking about non-alcoholic drinks because there is no dollar limit for individual drinks on either package.  So if something isn't covered (like Perrier on the Classic package), you pay the entire amount plus gratuity.  The rule about paying the difference only applies to alcoholic drinks for those with the alcohol packages.

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Sorry you both have to have the same package. 

no that’s not right.  It has been true that both must book the same package but then one can upgrade without the other person having to.

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

32 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The original poster said she would book a different package each which is what I said you couldn't do. I never thought about booking the same and upgrading one. However it still makes no sense as the coffee element, which is what the poster was interested in,  remains the same. 

6 minutes ago, the penguins said:

The original poster said she would book a different package each which is what I said you couldn't do. I never thought about booking the same and upgrading one. However it still makes no sense as the coffee element, which is what the poster was interested in,  remains the same. 

Celebrity does not even require both people to buy a package.  One can have no package and the other can buy the classic.  Or one can buy the classic alcohol and the other the premium alcohol.  Unlike some other cruise lines, Celebrity treats each guest in the stateroom separately when it comes to drink packages.  There is no need to both buy the same and then upgrade one.  Each person should just buy the package they want (or no package) from the start.

Source:  Celebrity Drink Package FAQ and personal experience - https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/beverage-packages

Does everyone in my stateroom need to buy a Drink Package?

No, all packages are for single guest use and cannot be shared by multiple people.

• Like 1