Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 27

Pictures taken between Monday, July 4 and Sunday, July 10.

First week of the second of the year. May I suggest fireworks for the statesiders?

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

It was a cold and still Sunday morning as I prepared my my walk. However, the amount of noise from the fog horns really did make me wait a couple of hours. This is the improved vista of MelbourneFog1.thumb.jpg.e72d201c84b7aa4fa140b4aa06871b7c.jpg.

• Like 4

At the end of 2021, our favorite little speakeasy had to close forever due to a series of personal tragedies heaped upon the owners. The final New Year’s Eve party was memorable and sad since we suspected that the announced “closed for renovation in January” was actually going to be permanent. It was. We thought about finding another local place but decided to turn inward and take advantage of the two years of work converting our home bar and back yard into a Lockdown Oasis. We started having our friends and/or family over on weekend evenings, cooking smile-making food and developing our own set of signature cocktails. This Blue Curacao Daquiri is one, though it’s almost too pretty to drink.

One Door Closes, Another Opens

1827006822_2022-27OneDoorClosesAnotherOpens.thumb.jpg.f5706fef5fce9111ae037ae652ee8643.jpg

Dave

• Like 5

Hot and humid again, the wetlands were at heat index around 118 Saturday...not very many people out there in the summer - and even though there are less birds and wildlife than winter, I find sometimes being the only person out there means I often come upon some species not normally seen, and they don't seem threatened at all with my presence, letting me get reasonably close.

So here are Saturday's selections...

Black-bellied whistling duck having a rest:

original.jpg

And nearby, the ducklings were enjoying swimming and feeding:

original.jpg

As with last week, the killdeer were still hanging around the flats:

original.jpg

The pied-billed grebe chick was all by itself - I think it was finally old enough to start to learn to be on its own:

original.jpg

This red-bellied woodpecker was working on carving out a home in a cypress tree:

original.jpg

This young male wood duck was in eclipse plumage...they get much more ornate and colorful when they enter breeding phase:

original.jpg

The female wood duck was close by, sitting on a log in the shade with her duckling sitting safely beside her:

original.jpg

And a closeup of the adorable wood duckling:

original.jpg

• Like 6

Our Sunday nature outing was to Yarra Bend Park (Yarra River, Melbourne) to photo flying foxes. Unfortunately the bats  did not get the memo and went on holidays.

I did find this big kookaburra for some posing.

Later I may post some fencing photos taken on the way home from the Victorian State Fencing Centre

Kooka2.thumb.jpg.7c7ec8c17097291fcf3fff520bdc769f.jpg

Kooka1.thumb.jpg.fbeae65e6b2feef88b313eab125b7524.jpg

kooka3.thumb.jpg.3ccf3e6f00223af47ea10a8c8e3ec3ca.jpg

• Like 5