Luggage When Connecting through Montreal (YUL)

jy_cruisefan

Hello. For our Mediterranean cruise in August, we are flying Air Canada from Ottawa (YOW) to Barcelona (BCN) via Montreal (YUL). We have a 3 hour layover in YUL. We have never travelled to Europe, so and I have some questions on how luggage is handled. We plan on checking in two large bags.

Since unlike flying to the US, there is no customs pre-clearance, do we need to retrieve our luggage in YUL and check it back in for our BCN flight? If not, then given our 3 hour layover, and the current issues with delays and lost luggage at the airports, what are the chances that our luggage will accompany us on our flight to BCN?

Thank you.

Your luggage will be checked through to Barcelona. In Montreal, you walk to the International departure area but do not need to go through security. You will need to show your boarding pass at the entry to the International departure area. 

40 minutes ago, jy_cruisefan said:

Hello. For our Mediterranean cruise in August, we are flying Air Canada from Ottawa (YOW) to Barcelona (BCN) via Montreal (YUL). We have a 3 hour layover in YUL. We have never travelled to Europe, so and I have some questions on how luggage is handled. We plan on checking in two large bags.

Since unlike flying to the US, there is no customs pre-clearance, do we need to retrieve our luggage in YUL and check it back in for our BCN flight? If not, then given our 3 hour layover, and the current issues with delays and lost luggage at the airports, what are the chances that our luggage will accompany us on our flight to BCN?

Thank you.

Keep an eye out on luggage situation in yul. Also ensure that air Canada does not cancel your Ottawa mtl flight.

You may want to consider a) driving to mtl  be) travelling with no checked bag.

Assuming that AC doesn't cancel your domestic leg, I believe that the time available to transfer your luggage from that flight to your Barcelona flight should be adequate. In general, I expect the baggage issues being experienced will be slowly diminish over the weeks to come.

My bigger concern would be the flight cancellation. In addition to driving to Montreal, the train is a very good option. There's a regular shuttle from the Dorval station to the airport, so the whole thing is quite convenient.

• Like 1

Thank you for all of your replies. Much appreciated

I have been watching the status over the last few days for the flights (YOW-YUL, YUL-BCN) that I am scheduled to take in August. So far they have shown as being delayed, but none were cancelled. As for driving or taking the train to YUL, I have thought about it, but this would technically require a flight change, as I don't believe that you can just show up at YUL for the connecting flight. Also, we booked the flights through Princess EZ-Air, and given the well documented issues encountered by several posters with cancelled and/or changed flights, I do'n't know if we should risk asking for the change. As well, I neglected to mention that we will be arriving in BCN 3 days before the cruise, so hopefully our luggage will make it to us by then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CGinMTL said:

Keep an eye out on luggage situation in yul. Also ensure that air Canada does not cancel your Ottawa mtl flight.

You may want to consider a) driving to mtl  be) travelling with no checked bag.

1000% agree. YUL is my "home" airport, and I've flown in and out of here, all over the planet, for decades. The baggage handling here is abysmal, and even in non-COVID times, the wait for bags here is routinely the longest I've ever encountered.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

1000% agree. YUL is my "home" airport, and I've flown in and out of here, all over the planet, for decades. The baggage handling here is abysmal, and even in non-COVID times, the wait for bags here is routinely the longest I've ever encountered.

I don't know how often you collect bags here in Toronto, but in my experience baggage arrival is the slowest here of any place that I have flown. However, I don't think that I've ever flown with checked baggage to Montreal, so I can't compare.

I think Toronto is worse than Montreal.  Albeit, I only flew to Montreal once with a checked bag.  I remember it sitting on the carousel and this was a flight from Toronto. 

Maybe that is why Customs takes a long time.  The unions have gotten together to delay you at CBSA to give the baggage handlers time to unload the plane and get your bags out.

Everywhere you look you can find a conspiracy theory. LOL

Edited by Magicat

My vote goes to Pearson for the slowest baggage handling, and I've flown in and out of both for years on both business and pleasure. And so far, Pearson is the only one of the two that didn't manage to get my bags off my YOW-YYZ flight and onto my flight to CDG for an international meeting. Fortunately, I arrived on a Saturday and my checked bag was delivered to my hotel on Sunday, so there was no need to go shopping for clothes on Monday morning! 

The only time my bags didn't make it with me was a VERY long time ago when I was 12. I flew with my parents on TWA from Tel Aviv to Rome, and then I continued alone on to New York, where I had to change planes to fly home to Toronto. My bag didn't arrive, and I, as a 12 year old, pre-cellphones, had to make a baggage claim and couldn't tell the people coming to meet me where I was. The bag was delivered the next day, but it was a scary experience.

6 hours ago, jy_cruisefan said:

Thank you.

Anyone from across most of E. Canada and the maritimes are still only connecting in YUL for international flights. It’s those connections that are most likely to delay baggage as the process slows both the original flight and baggage transfers. If you check in directly at YUL at least you will know your bags have a better chance of getting on only the one plane with you. Pack some of each other’s stuff in both of your bags. Wish I’d know this trick. End of Feb on a Thursday our 2 bags stayed in Ottawa and our flight was so delayed that we overnighted in Toronto and next morning the plane was delayed for 4 hours.  Minutes before pushing back we were notified by AC text that our bags were still in Ottawa and which home address should they be directed to. Once in Miami we reported them missing and gave the address of the cruise ship. One made it to the cabin on the Sunday. Mine didn’t catch up with us until 5 days into the cruise in St Thomas. On the return, via YUL, the customs hall was a zoo. Now those were flights to/from the USA. I’m sure the chances are better from BCN-YUL but gone are the guarantees. 

• Thanks 1

For what it is worth, I would not count on luggage making it with the current issues. I suggest that you each bring 2 pieces of luggage (carry on) as you are allowed one to fit in overhead bin and one under the seat. Out last European trip had an interesting twist, just as we were landing n Belgium, the baggage handlers went on a wildcat strike, needless to say luggage caught up with us 10 days later in Athens. We now travel with 2 (carry ons each) and 1 check in if required. 

Cheers

We connected through Montreal to Barcelona in may and return. No problems whatsoever, but I always pack my hand luggage to allow that my cases may not arrive with me 

4 hours ago, Rockit said:

For what it is worth, I would not count on luggage making it with the current issues. I suggest that you each bring 2 pieces of luggage (carry on) as you are allowed one to fit in overhead bin and one under the seat. Out last European trip had an interesting twist, just as we were landing n Belgium, the baggage handlers went on a wildcat strike, needless to say luggage caught up with us 10 days later in Athens. We now travel with 2 (carry ons each) and 1 check in if required. 

Cheers

Will definitely pack our carry ons/personal bags with the essentials just in case. Since we have 3 days in BCN prior to our cruise, hoping that our luggage will make it eventually. I can probably get by with just a carry on anyway. However, we generally use the carry ons to pack shoes (most of which are not mine 🙂 )

One tip I learned long ago was to split your clothes amongst all the bags you plan to check. It's a small bit of insurance should one of your bags go astray. Not sure how much good it does with the current situation but any bit of insurance helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

One tip I learned long ago was to split your clothes amongst all the bags you plan to check. It's a small bit of insurance should one of your bags go astray. Not sure how much good it does with the current situation but any bit of insurance helps.

Unfortunately, since I travel alone this one doesn't work for me. For my upcoming trip however, I'm putting some underwear and socks (and maybe an extra top if I can fit it in) into my carryon in case my bags are delayed.

• Like 1

Have an August trip from YYZ-YUL-FCO Air Transat and am also wondering about baggage transfer/delay for this connecting flight to Rome.  Any one know of any issues with AT?  AC is well documented.

I've not heard or read anything about AT, other than the experience of my DD and her family. A week ago today, they were to fly to Cuba out of YYZ. Given all the horror stories about Pearson, they chose to arrive at 9:30 am for a 1:30 pm departure. Well, it took them a grand total of a minute and a half to clear security as they were the only ones in line! Whether that was unique to AT that morning I don't know.

They fly back into YYZ today, and it will be interesting to see what they will encounter upon their return.

We flew to FLL last Friday Terminal 1 Pearson and from drop off outside by our ride to sitting in lounge waiting for flight was 45 minutes mostly due to USBP all walking away from desks for a meeting and shutting us customs down for 20 minutes. Our flight got delayed 2 hours due to inbound weather issues so we were in the lounge for 6 hours. We had allowed for the worst.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

They fly back into YYZ today, and it will be interesting to see what they will encounter upon their return.

My daughter and SIL just flew into YYZ today.  Waited TWO HOURS for their luggage.  They’re finally in the car and on their way home now.  Flew AC.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:28 PM, jy_cruisefan said:

Thank you.

Took Air Transat YYZ-YUL-BCN and back last month, some 90 min layover in Montreal. The luggage was checked through all right, no problems getting it in BCN. On the way back it was also checked through to Toronto, which came as a surprise to me as I thought I was supposed to collect the luggage in YUL first to go through the customs. Very convenient.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:41 PM, Fouremco said:

I've not heard or read anything about AT, other than the experience of my DD and her family. A week ago today, they were to fly to Cuba out of YYZ. Given all the horror stories about Pearson, they chose to arrive at 9:30 am for a 1:30 pm departure. Well, it took them a grand total of a minute and a half to clear security as they were the only ones in line! Whether that was unique to AT that morning I don't know.

There was a 15 minute delay waiting for an available gate, then a 50 passenger at a time release into the terminal which resulted in a short delay, but once inside, everything went very quickly. There was no waiting to access an arrival kiosks and their checked bags were waiting for them at the carousel. In my DD's words, much ado about nothing.

• Like 1