Am I just a grumpy old man?

On 8/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, carolina cruisin said:

Recently completed an 18 day cruise on Splendor.  We thoroughly enjoyed the trip - despite being quarantined for 5 days with covid.  Not what we had hoped for but had a good 9 nine days prior to and some good days after the quarantine.  Regent's medical staff took good care of us.  As did the "room service" staff.  Really did not experience the "post covid" problems some encountered.  In the 18 days recall one instance that a drink order was a bit slow in arriving - but we survived.  Looking forward to our next cruise in Nov.  Speaking of people wanting to get out and cruise and what they think of 

Regent - meet a couple who were on their 16th Regent cruise and have another 8 booked.  Sincerely think the cruising experience will continue to improve - the getting to and from points of embarkation/debarkation may take a bit longer.

I was on that cruise too and had a very similar experience.  I got COVID and quarantined while my wife moved to another room so she could continue to enjoy the cruise.  Being stuck in my suite was boring and dull but I was treated fine by the medical and service staff.  My wife was treated very well and although she says she missed me she seemed to have a great time.

The only slightly subpar thing that happened to us was the last night in Compass Rose the server forgot to bring sauce for the Vienerschnitzel.  Certainly not enough to stop us from booking a cruise for May to fill the gapbetween now and our October 23 Montreal to New York.

Edited by jeb_bud
fixed typo
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2022 at 8:51 PM, jeb_bud said:

I was on that cruise too and had a very similar experience.  I got COVID and quarantined while my wife moved to another room so she could continue to enjoy the cruise.  Being stuck in my suite was boring and dull but I was treated fine by the medical and service staff.  My wife was treated very well and although she says she missed me she seemed to have a great time.

The only slightly subpar thing that happened to us was the last night in Compass Rose the server forgot to bring sauce for the Vienerschnitzel.  Certainly not enough to stop us from booking a cruise for May to fill the gapbetween now and our October 23 Montreal to New York.

If looking for any suggestions in Montreal, let me know. Our hometown…..

On 8/14/2022 at 8:51 PM, jeb_bud said:

...the server forgot to bring sauce for the Vienerschnitzel. 

Sorry to say, but the server was correct. A true Wienerschnitzel is never ever served with sauce!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2022 at 12:38 PM, hapzfl said:

Sorry to say, but the server was correct. A true Wienerschnitzel is never ever served with sauce!

True.  Ya got yer Jägerschnitzel, yer Rahmschnitzel, yer Zigeunerschnitzel, yer Champignonschnitzel...all kinds of schnitzels.  But the Weinerschnitzel should be ohne Soße (at least in Austria...the Germans are a bit less fussy about that...)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

True.  Ya got yer Jägerschnitzel, yer Rahmschnitzel, yer Zigeunerschnitzel, yer Champignonschnitzel...all kinds of schnitzels.  But the Weinerschnitzel should be ohne Soße (at least in Austria...the Germans are a bit less fussy about that...)

I'm certain that you have way more weinerschnitzel experience than I do, considering your background.  Most of mine has been in Germany and my recollection, which admittedly is a little hazy,  is that they were usually wet with something.  Maybe catering to tourists?

In any event, I take back my complaint about the Compass Rose meal.  Now the cruise was almost perfect.  A good thing to have in mind as I have three more booked and a fourth in the planning stage.

1 minute ago, jeb_bud said:

I'm certain that you have way more weinerschnitzel experience than I do, considering your background.  Most of mine has been in Germany and my recollection, which admittedly is a little hazy,  is that they were usually wet with something.  Maybe catering to tourists?

In any event, I take back my complaint about the Compass Rose meal.  Now the cruise was almost perfect.  A good thing to have in mind as I have three more booked and a fourth in the planning stage.

I'll admit to eating WAY more schnitzel than any one man should...the main thing to remember about schnitzel is that it's a 'family' of entrees, roughly translated to 'cutlet', I guess - true Weinerschnitzel (Vienna-style schnitzel) should be thinly sliced veal, pounded thin, lightly breaded, fried and served with a wedge of lemon to spritz it with.  In Germany you'll sometimes get a mushroom sauce with it.  The other types of schnitzel generally refer to the sauce or type of meat used (usually veal or pork, sometimes poultry).  

Crap.  Now I want schnitzel and spätzle for dinner....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

And as we sit in the lounge waiting for our flight to Zurich in an hour or so, I promise to take one for the team and enjoy the Swiss variation of "zürcher geschnetzeltes" this evening, with rösti of course.  Yes, there's a wide variety, but the Wiener Schnitzel on board Navigator came exactly as anticipated, breaded, no sauce, with a potato salad served at room temperature and a slice of lemon.  No more, no less.  Since schnitzel in all its variations is a favourite of mine, thank you for a mouthwatering conversation here!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Very few Germans or Austrians will put a gravy on Weiner Schnitzel, its Schweine (pork) Schnitzel that has gravy.  Which is also good.

While I'm at it this place had what my wife and I thought was the best Bratwurst (12 -13 euro), and I've had a few, that we had ever had.  My wife had a blood test a few days after we came home and her Cholesterol went up 20 points.  🙃

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g190441-d714261-Reviews-Zwettler_s-Salzburg_Austrian_Alps.html

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hapzfl said:

Just another thing:

it is Wienerschnitzel and NOT Weinerschnitzel 😊

I was tempted to make the same point!

Some years ago there was an academic music journal called "Die Reihe". If you got your "ie" and your "ei" in a muddle, the title of the journal became a bit unsavoury!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 8:10 AM, hapzfl said:

Just another thing:

it is Wienerschnitzel and NOT Weinerschnitzel 😊

On 8/22/2022 at 11:29 AM, Vivaldi said:

I was tempted to make the same point!

Hahaha!  I'm usually the one pointing out these things...and somehow I got caught up in the ol' switcheroo myself.

I had a German teacher tell us that we can remember the pronunciation of 'ei' and 'ie' in words by just remembering 'bier' and 'wein'.  I still use that trick on unfamiliar words today...

• Like 2